LegacyGT.com

New member introduction + pics

slickfast

Hey guys, just wanted to formally introduce myself to the forum, as this looks to be the best place for my specific vehicle.

Introduction: My name is Colin, I'm from Guilford, CT, and I just picked up a 1997 Legacy L Sedan 5MT with 152k miles on it. New exhaust and brakes a year ago (though they still feel kind of weak... anyone else have this problem?), and new clutch at 100k miles. It was a one owner car by an elderly lady, and apparently garaged for about half it's life. It's definitely got dings, and the paint is not all that great, but theres no rust (though there is a quarter sized patch of bubbling by the right rear wheel arch) so I'm happy. For $1400, I couldn't really go wrong as a second car. Also, it made my combined insurance premium DECREASE :eek:. Pretty cool as a 21 year old.

Maintenance: As you can see the front tires are nearly bald (rears are new so I'm going to just rotate them for now), the drive belts were cracked to hell, and the front right drive axle sounded like somebody shaking a box full of rocks. The last two days I put in new drive belts and swapped the noisy drive axle with a new OEM 2WD drive axle. As you can see, it's far more beefy than the AWD, and should hold up for a long time. Also, I'm waiting till it gets cold to put on a set of new studdable snow/ice tires, just some cheap General Altimax ones I got on Tire Rack for $51 a piece.

Modifications: Since this thing is just going to be my winter beater, I put on my Yakima rack (I'll have to get some pictures) and it makes it look 400x better, IMO. Also will be looking for some ebay driving lights just to add to its rugged good looks.

See you guys around!

1201635952_photo1.jpg.f09de0766bbcdb9e29861f52bd9645ad.jpg

1316512219_photo2.jpg.ff6d3290f11311c1addf416e81baca64.jpg

939232259_photo3.thumb.jpg.c47756c99b89388c51c1de571bd64718.jpg

636604928_photo4.thumb.jpg.df8a3ca21f1e6e793b2fe786f4190328.jpg

267633646_photo5.thumb.jpg.e8600d11362ef22b695c992fee85e83f.jpg

well thats not all it... but thats basically all I care about. the door lock on the drivers door is un-openable with the key, so everytime I want to unlock it i have to walk over to the pass side, unlock it with the key, and then hit the unlock button. Also, the rear right window goes up 95% of the way, but then you have to help it up to get it all the way.

come to think of it, how hard is it to install an oem keyless entry system? I don't feel like replacing a door lock (they must be pricey) and also dealing with a different key, so this might be the best solution.

Hmm, my car won't unlock from the drivers side either. I also have to walk around to the passenger side. I don't really care, unless I'm going out to eat or out shopping for something I leave the keys in the ignition and the windows down anyway. I'm pretty sure a car thief wouldn't steal my car if I left the keys in the ignition and a candybar on the dashboard.

You ever do a keyless alarm install, platinum? I don't need any of that auto start business, just door locks. I'm lazy and am already getting sick of walking aaaaaaaallll the way around the car... I think I might just stop locking it all together.

For the amount of money it would cost to get one, you might as well just go get a simple alarm system and just install that instead. Probably cost around $100 or so.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

My locks are fine, but I don't bother locking mine up, but I do take my keys with me. I can't make it that easy. If somebody was going to steal a car, they would have to be extreamely stupid to bother with mine... it would be horrible in a high speed chase. Now, once I start putting some money into my car to make it a little nicer, I'll probably start locking it up. If you really worried about it, I would do as he said and just get an alarm system for a hundred bucks.

You ever do a keyless alarm install, platinum? I don't need any of that auto start business, just door locks. I'm lazy and am already getting sick of walking aaaaaaaallll the way around the car... I think I might just stop locking it all together.

The problem would still be a problem. In my car the linkage is bent, so when you push the inside door lock button it doesn't unlock the door. From outside the car you don't have enough leverage to overcome the bent linkage. The solenoid's are also weak, so I have a 50/50 chance that my drivers auto lock will lock/unlock the rest of the doors. I was so mad one day... I got up at 4:30 or 5:00 AM to get in some overtime, went out to my car, and guess what... It was locked... Keys inside. Tried with a coathanger for a little over an hour with no sucess. Tow driver came down, paid him $65, and even he had troubles. He even had to go around to the passenger side to get in.

I have a keyless starter/keyless entry system in my basement I bought for my aunt for Christmas, but she didn't want it :(. I think I got it at Wal-Mart for $50-60. Brand name is Bully Dog if I can remember. Not sure how the newer Legacy's work, but on mine I don't think the keyless entry would work because the drivers door (Which controls the other 3 solenoids) doesn't have it's own solenoid. It is a mechanical linkage connected to both the door handle on the inside and the key on the outside with electrical connections to activate the other 3 solenoids on the other door locks. There would be no way to open the drivers door with the system. I could open the other 3, but not the drivers door, which kinda stinks... :(

Your system is probably different, since Subaru might have equipped it with keyless entry from the factory on higher trim levels, meaning all the hardware (Drivers door solenoid) would be there minus the receiver unit for the remote. If so it's just a matter of buying the kit, finding which wires connect the drivers door solenoid, and hooking the unlock leads from the receiver unit up to the drivers door (Providing the drivers door has electrical contacts in the door lock for the other solenoids on the other doors).

...the door lock on the drivers door is un-openable with the key, so everytime I want to unlock it i have to walk over to the pass side, unlock it with the key, and then hit the unlock button...

I got that same problem! LOL! It's like my lock is stuck or something. If I wanna' get in, i just hop over to the driver's side or throw my girl the keys so she can open the door.

Yeah platinum it's not the linkage that's bent in my car, the actual lock mechanism that you stick your key into is just frozen or something. I might try inundating it with some wd40 to see if that does anything, plus I'm going to be making a fairings for the Yakima rack I just put on it. $20 eBay driving lights are also on their way! :lol:

my bro has a keyless system that I think I might use... but honestly I spend way more time working on my M3... I'm overhauling the cooling system. New waterpump, thermostat, thermostat housing, new hoses, clamps, all aluminum radiator, BMW coolant, Royal Purple water wetter additive... It's a pretty thorough overhaul.

Yeah water wetter is like standard issue in BMW cooling systems, haha.

PB blaster actually failed me the other day when I was trying to remove the wiper assembly on the M3... So pissed. I'm gonna have to go find a micro sized gear puller to get it off. Sigh.

Archived