LegacyGT.com

Who makes a 7" ...

Wang Lung

Kicker 07C84 8" Single 4 ohms Comp Series Subwoofer

that looks pretty promising...

but this looks even better - 500W Max, 120W nominal, 2.5" mount depth...

Pioneer TS-SW841D

I may have to replace my stock HK Sub in the rear deck with this!

Anyone here know anything about the Dynaudio MW-172? It looks like it might be a tight fit - is there anything that we can do to those bars to make more space under there? what do they do? I would like to fit the Dynaudio driver in the deck there but only if it will fit...

I am getting mine replaced so when it comes in and they take the old one out I will take some dimensions of it and pictures as well - I would still love to be able to get an aftermarket one in there - I have a lot of good Harman Kardon stuff but this sub seems to be absolute crap.........I will post what I find when the part comes into the dealer.

Also, 228 is too much for this - when I get home I will post the correct part number and I would suggest calling up (yes I know theyre on the east coast) Fred Beans for part info and pricing - they can usually get a pretty good price on stuff shipped to your door.

I will keep you updated.....later

I am getting mine replaced so when it comes in and they take the old one out I will take some dimensions of it and pictures as well - I would still love to be able to get an aftermarket one in there - I have a lot of good Harman Kardon stuff but this sub seems to be absolute crap.........I will post what I find when the part comes into the dealer.

Also, 228 is too much for this - when I get home I will post the correct part number and I would suggest calling up (yes I know theyre on the east coast) Fred Beans for part info and pricing - they can usually get a pretty good price on stuff shipped to your door.

I will keep you updated.....later

Thanks. What are you going to replace with? And I agree, $228 is too much for that OEM driver. If it's as bad as you say it is, I won't buy it at any price.

I'm not sure what I will replace it with - anything I can get for 8" and that will fit will be a midbass driver, not a true subwoofer, but I figure anything has to be better than that flat pancake thing that they ship it with...i am waiting to see what the thing looks like though first before I do anything with it - given that they will fit, the top two on my list are the Dynaudio MW-172 which I think has about a 3" depth, and the Pioneer TS-SW841D, which has a 2.5 inch mounting depth.

Still waiting on the dealer to get back and let me know what is up with the part order.

can you post a quick ( i assume its not that hard) set of pics on how to remove the back seat etc... to get to the rear deck?

If it is anything like my friends corolla, the seat cushion comes off, then there are a few bolts to undo and the back of the car is in 3 or 4 pieces to get to the deck

Having heard the HK sub from the new legacys it's nothing special. It's an improvement over the under seat sub 05-08s got, but not by much. Certainly not worth 200+

A buddy of mine has a JL "8 IB4 mounted in the rear deck of his IS300 and it sounds really good. Amazing SQ and a lot more SPL then you would probably imagine. I don't think they make them anymore, however you may be able to find one at another retailer online.

We gave up on the rear deck sub. With only 2.5" of clearance, I didn't like anything we tried. This is the finished trunk area with sub box in the side. It's an 8" JL Audio powered by a bridged 3x75 ARC under the driver seat. The CS sits next to it under the same seat.

Crossovers are for the HERTZ MLK 165's in the front doors. The amp is ARC's finest, 4200 SE.

I have FOCAL K2P's in the rear doors.

http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/mikeinsac/?action=view&current=S5001101.jpghttp://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/mikeinsac/S5001101.jpg?t=1242139751

yeah got mine replaced but they wouldnt let me see it or have it to take with me since it was a warranty repair....that JL looks good though; how does it perform? Did you make the box yourself or buy it somewhere?

I paid to have everything installed. He made and installed that box in about an hour. This system is the finest car audio I've ever heard. I have about five grand in it. It's one of the few things I've spent that much money on that I felt was worth it. Installation took one guy about 9 hours with no break.

• 2 weeks later...
im interested in that sub location> i have my 8" sitting right up against the rear seats, and it sounds really good. Im just wondering how it will sound/feel all the way back in that well. Could you elaborate on your subs perfomance?

im interested in that sub location> i have my 8" sitting right up against the rear seats, and it sounds really good. Im just wondering how it will sound/feel all the way back in that well. Could you elaborate on your subs perfomance?

I put it there because I wanted easy access to my coilovers. And, I keep two large file boxes full of sales brochures in the trunk. So I wanted it tucked out of the way. Performance is fine. I have plenty of power to it, which makes a world of difference. It is a bit crisper when my trunk is empty.

Archived