LegacyGT.com

Custom Exhaust, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonator = too loud

gotsugg

I am pretty new to the forum and the whole Subaru world. After getting my LGT in January, it didn’t take me long to start my mods. With the help of this forum, a few experienced members and a great classified selection, I was able to do things pretty reasonably.

I have a drop-in highflow filter, Up-Pipe, DownPipe, Cobb stage 2 map and a custom 3” mid to Y pipe and 2 ½” to two Magnaflow mufflers. The problem is that it is just way too loud. Don’t get me wrong, it sounds bad@$$,,,,, but it’s just too much for an old man and a daily driver.

My next move is to buy two Megan Racing OE-RS Style Universal Muffler #MU-MOE25 (they seem pretty quiet) or Equal length headers (to reduce the bass rumble). I’m looking for some advice/thoughts/ideas etc..

Thanks

In addition to the two Magnaflow mufflers I have two resonators in the mid pipe (before the "Y") and two "metal donut" inserts ... one in each tail pipe about 3" before the end of the tip. Also 3 layers of soundproofing "paint" in and under the trunk and under the back seat. No more comments from my wife about the sounds from under the car nor from my son when he is in the back seat.

Maxim Symms EL headers, custom down pipe with hi-flow cat, AVO drop in air filter, oem air box, air intake, etc.

Lloyd M. 2006 GRP LGT 5EAT Sedan [For Sale]

I am pretty new to the forum and the whole Subaru world. After getting my LGT in January, it didn’t take me long to start my mods. With the help of this forum, a few experienced members and a great classified selection, I was able to do things pretty reasonably.

I have a drop-in highflow filter, Up-Pipe, DownPipe, Cobb stage 2 map and a custom 3” mid to Y pipe and 2 ½” to two Magnaflow mufflers. The problem is that it is just way too loud. Don’t get me wrong, it sounds bad@$$,,,,, but it’s just too much for an old man and a daily driver.

My next move is to buy two Megan Racing OE-RS Style Universal Muffler #MU-MOE25 (they seem pretty quiet) or Equal length headers (to reduce the bass rumble). I’m looking for some advice/thoughts/ideas etc..

Thanks

If you get the Megan mufflers, wanna sell your magnaflows??

In addition to the two Magnaflow mufflers I have two resonators in the mid pipe (before the "Y") and two "metal donut" inserts ... one in each tail pipe about 3" before the end of the tip. Also 3 layers of soundproofing "paint" in and under the trunk and under the back seat. No more comments from my wife about the sounds from under the car nor from my son when he is in the back seat.

Maxim Symms EL headers, custom down pipe with hi-flow cat, AVO drop in air filter, oem air box, air intake, etc.

metal donut?

ive been researching...I think we are doing this all wrong. Listen to videos of subys...

The new STI with a single muffler has a GREAT sound, but the wrx sedan with 2 cans sounds crappy. I think im going to put a 18" muffler in the midpipe and remove the rear cans (a la straight pipes) and see how it sounds...should be a bit more WRX like with less low end...think about it

My car with the catback disconnected is LOUD but is not super deep...when you add all the muffling it becomes deep... Throw a muffler closer to the turbo and it should be nice...

It's a great idea and one that I considered for awhile, but there just isn't enough room under the car for a real muffler. Unless I am missing something,,,????

Last night I found a few Bullet mufflers that may work.

Tons of room under the car in the drive line tunnel to hang a full sized muffler. I played with the idea of a single magnaflow (3" inlet dual 2.25 out) on my 2.5i but after talking to people and this other guy Frostbite on these forums i think ima scrap the dual and run a single out the passenger side with a Magnaflow Part # 12225 in place of the stock cans but i would have liked to toy with the idea of one muffler two outlets

The undercar single 3" in and dual 2.5" out is a great idea but my muffler shop didn't think we had enough room for it. I'm pretty sure the fix for my problem will be installing an additional muffler to my current CBE. I hear a Borla XR-1 will fix the issue and makes a nice sound.

Thanks for the input

Tons of room under the car in the drive line tunnel to hang a full sized muffler. I played with the idea of a single magnaflow (3" inlet dual 2.25 out) on my 2.5i but after talking to people and this other guy Frostbite on these forums i think ima scrap the dual and run a single out the passenger side with a Magnaflow Part # 12225 in place of the stock cans but i would have liked to toy with the idea of one muffler two outlets
What part of va you in. some parts are anal on the dbs. fairfax didn't care and I lived half a block from the police station then.

• 1 month later...

Just got my Legacy from Drizzen its running a Perrin Catless Up Pipe

Cobb Catless Downpipe and Perrin Catback Exhaust, it's way to laud for me, how much will a Catted downpipe quiet it down and what am I looking at for power loss? Also do I need both Cats to pass emissions?

Archived