LegacyGT.com

A/C Working???

LawGT

This weekend we had great weather in Chicago...it got to ~63+ on Saturday. Accordingly, I tried using the AC but to no avail! The temperature of the air coming out of the vents was warmer than desired (definitely not cold). I had to open my windows to get cool air (which is fine, unless you are driving at 85mph on the highway:rolleyes: ). I read the manual to see if there was something listed regarding outside temperature and the AC's operation, and found that the only thing listed was that the AC will not turn on if the outside temperature is below 34 degrees (or thereabouts). Has anybody else experienced this? If the outside temp is in the high 50's or low 60's does the AC blow cold air? I'm hoping that when temps reach 70+ the thing will work...:mad: .

Any thoughts?

Just another thing to bug the dealer with when I take it in for its 1000 mile oil chaqnge. (398 miles to go)..... :D :D :D

This weekend we had great weather in Chicago...it got to ~63+ on Saturday. Accordingly, I tried using the AC but to no avail! The temperature of the air coming out of the vents was warmer than desired (definitely not cold). I had to open my windows to get cool air (which is fine, unless you are driving at 85mph on the highway:rolleyes: ). I read the manual to see if there was something listed regarding outside temperature and the AC's operation, and found that the only thing listed was that the AC will not turn on if the outside temperature is below 34 degrees (or thereabouts). Has anybody else experienced this? If the outside temp is in the high 50's or low 60's does the AC blow cold air? I'm hoping that when temps reach 70+ the thing will work...:mad: .

Any thoughts?

Just another thing to bug the dealer with when I take it in for its 1000 mile oil chaqnge. (398 miles to go)..... :D :D :D

I'm confused. Are you talking about the air not being cold enough when it comes out of the vents or are you talking about air conditioning? Its been stated before and should be stated again, the two are not the same thing. You can have hot air blowing with the A/C on. Likewise you can have cold air blowing with the A/C off. Air conditioning does exactly as its described: it conditions the air by removing moisture.

Anyways, I'll assume that you're talking about temperature. Since you've got a GT you've got auto climate. You'll want to set your climate control to a temperature that is below the temperature it detects in the cabin. So, if the cabin is 64 degrees, cold air will not blow out of the vents because the lowest temperature setting for auto climate is 65. So, the auto climate will blow out mildly warm air (I think; there's some debate on how smart the climate control is)

You may want to read through the sticky about how the auto climate works.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6515

Any thoughts?

DUDE...you do not read the warranty forums apparently.

So yesterday was a pretty warm day in Chicago. It happened that I took a leisure drive from Chicago to Gurnee (35 miles or so) and I had to make use of the air conditioning.

First off...with both dials on 65 and the AC turned on...the air was still very warm.

Second...if I set it up for recirculation inside the car...the inside of the car quickly becomes too warm.

Third...if I bring in outside air it will cool down...but nowhere near my minivan levels. I mean I am pulling 2 deg C at the vents in my minivan while on recirc.

The recirc. doesn't seem to help cool down the interior, it will fog up the windows if used with warm air what not. Am I doing something wrong or ? Might I say I was in full manual mode...don't mess with AUTO cause I hate it.

And also what can i do about the interior dust. Someone please link me to that cabin air filter thread...or is it just my interior that is so dusty .

Thanks.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10709

Could be that we both have the relays disconnected. Where do u service your car? Do me a favor...call Mid City Subaru and complain about this as well. I am going to service the car Wednesday for the AC issue...I will share with you the findings but it would be nice if they had another car on record for this issue.

DUDE...you do not read the warranty forums apparently.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10709

Could be that we both have the relays disconnected. Where do u service your car? Do me a favor...call Mid City Subaru and complain about this as well. I am going to service the car Wednesday for the AC issue...I will share with you the findings but it would be nice if they had another car on record for this issue.

Hmm, f1anatic,

I did not read that thread. That is EXACTLY my issue...although I do think the AC kicks in because it "defogs" my windows, but blows nothing but HOT air when set to 65 full blast (and for that poster who stated that at 65 it blows straight from outside, this cannot be true, at least in my car, because yesterday it got to 58 degrees, and the air blowing was warmer than outside temp...but then again, it could be that it was blowing at 65 degrees:confused: ). Whatever. The point is that the damn thing does not blow cold air. On a new car...that kind a "bothers" me.

I bought the car from Schaumburg Subaru and it has approx 600miles. I was going to wait until the oil change at 1000 to complain. How many miles in your car? PM me if you want to discuss this further.

I'm confused. Are you talking about the air not being cold enough when it comes out of the vents or are you talking about air conditioning? Its been stated before and should be stated again, the two are not the same thing. You can have hot air blowing with the A/C on. Likewise you can have cold air blowing with the A/C off. Air conditioning does exactly as its described: it conditions the air by removing moisture.

Anyways, I'll assume that you're talking about temperature. Since you've got a GT you've got auto climate. You'll want to set your climate control to a temperature that is below the temperature it detects in the cabin. So, if the cabin is 64 degrees, cold air will not blow out of the vents because the lowest temperature setting for auto climate is 65. So, the auto climate will blow out mildly warm air (I think; there's some debate on how smart the climate control is)

You may want to read through the sticky about how the auto climate works.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6515

Hm, I thought I was clear. You guessed right, I was referring to having cold air coming out of the vents when it's warm outside. My cabin temperature was definitely above 64 degrees...it was warm (hence why I needed to turn the AC on, thinking I would get cold air). I know how the Auto function works, have read all the posts here on that subject, and actually have no complaints about its operation.

I assume, however, that the AC compressor must be on for cold air to flow from the vents when the air temp outside is warm (even though warm air can also flow from the vents with the AC symbol on the display, hence as you note, removing moisture). If this is not the case with the LGT, it would be different than any other car out there that I know about. In sum, the AC unit cools the warm air (in addition to removing moisture, helpful during rain and winter, etc.) ... and mine does not work properly. This upsets me. I get absolutely no cold air coming from the vents.

Hm, I thought I was clear. You guessed right, I was referring to having cold air coming out of the vents when it's warm outside. My cabin temperature was definitely above 64 degrees...it was warm (hence why I needed to turn the AC on, thinking I would get cold air). I know how the Auto function works, have read all the posts here on that subject, and actually have no complaints about its operation.

I assume, however, that the AC compressor must be on for cold air to flow from the vents when the air temp outside is warm (even though warm air can also flow from the vents with the AC symbol on the display, hence as you note, removing moisture). If this is not the case with the LGT, it would be different than any other car out there that I know about. In sum, the AC unit cools the warm air (in addition to removing moisture, helpful during rain and winter, etc.) ... and mine does not work properly. This upsets me. I get absolutely no cold air coming from the vents.

Sounds like some dealer prep problem then, ie see f1anatic's post.

As for being clear, I'm one of those anal mofo's who likes things clearly spelled out, i.e. when is cold air not cold air: when its A/C. It could very well be my stupidity. :D

Took it to dealer and it was "fixed" in 10 seconds. The service guy just pulled a blue fuse plug from the fuse box (next to the battery) and plugged it into another hole. Viola! And I drove 50 miles for that...but I least I got to drive the car:D

Archived