LegacyGT.com

Air Conditioning malfunction ?

So yesterday was a pretty warm day in Chicago. It happened that I took a leisure drive from Chicago to Gurnee (35 miles or so) and I had to make use of the air conditioning.

First off...with both dials on 65 and the AC turned on...the air was still very warm.

Second...if I set it up for recirculation inside the car...the inside of the car quickly becomes too warm.

Third...if I bring in outside air it will cool down...but nowhere near my minivan levels. I mean I am pulling 2 deg C at the vents in my minivan while on recirc.

The recirc. doesn't seem to help cool down the interior, it will fog up the windows if used with warm air what not. Am I doing something wrong or ? Might I say I was in full manual mode...don't mess with AUTO cause I hate it.

And also what can i do about the interior dust. Someone please link me to that cabin air filter thread...or is it just my interior that is so dusty .

Thanks.

Thank you for confirming my worst fears. I will schedule a dealer run for this week, provided that today I cannot fix it.

As I said, recirculating air (both dials @ 65, AC on, fan speed 3 ) makes it warm. Getting outside air makes it cooler but not what I would expect from a brand new car. Let us just say it would be a challenge in the summer to live on just that performance.

Anyone has other thoughts ? Thanks in advance.

Actually, 65 is mislabelled, 65 is basically straight air from outside. 66 would let the A/C kick in, so you should try that first.

Anyone else can confirm this ? 66 is the setting to have for A/C to work ? This would be beyond counter-intuitive as 65 is the lowest/coldest.

I will give it a try but I fear it is a warranty issue.

That's the way it works when not in Auto. The lowest setting is actually straight from outside. That's because it wasn't designed to be used in manual mode I guess... It should have been labelled "Low" instead of given a temperature. It makes more sense in heating mode, where you are regulating heat and the lowest setting is no heat at all, straight outside air.

it's in the relay box under the hood right by the battery. We leave them out from the factory to help the battery stay charged good. It should be plugged in before delivery, the relay is laying upside down in an empty spot in the relay box. They for some reason disappear before they get shipped to the dealer. We had to come in this past Sunday and check them all in the lot outside. Easy fix, or take it to the dealer.

Why don't we try a simple check? Turn it on in Auto mode.

Let it work the way it was designed to and see if it works then. If it does, then it means you are pressing way too many buttons and confused the crap out of it.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived