LegacyGT.com

Advice on Grill Removal

Taxdude

So I got my new RBS grill and I want to install it. I can get top clips out but I can't visualize the bottom clips/hooks(?). Searching I have found a couple of references that say to just pull it up or twist it a bit. But that sound kind of thin. So if you have removed your stock grill what advice can you give me? Thx

Slip your hand up from underneath, and feel for the clips. They won't feel like much, but they're there.

After you find them, slip a small flat head screwdriver up there, and push "up" on the clips while pulling straight out.

It's the only thing that worked for me, but YMMV.

ok, let me see if I can describe this well.

Your stock grill has a lip on the front (the part you can see) that hooks into the bumper. Your bumper fits into this lip. Then there are two metal clips along the rear that "pull" or hold your grille in the lip. You just need to find these in the back (they're plain old silver metal, no paint) and lift up on those clips.

Reach down the back of your grille and find the edge of the bumper skin and slide your finger along that edge until you find the clips. Once you get the grille off, you'll understand exactly and it'll seem so simple you'll feel dumb. At least, that's how I felt!

Your stock grill has a lip on the front (the part you can see) that hooks into the bumper. Your bumper fits into this lip. Then there are two metal clips along the rear that "pull" or hold your grille in the lip. You just need to find these in the back (they're plain old silver metal, no paint) and lift up on those clips.

Reach down the back of your grille and find the edge of the bumper skin and slide your finger along that edge until you find the clips. Once you get the grille off, you'll understand exactly and it'll seem so simple you'll feel dumb. At least, that's how I felt!

agreed!

well said mang

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

RBS Grille? Hmmm. I'm seriously considering replacing the stock grille and am having problems finding bolt-on replacements. So far, have only found offerings from PL-tek. Where do I find RBS?

Thanks for the grille removal instructions!

Can you se the clips from below or are they completely hidden?

I have no idea if you can see the clips. I didn't notice them when I was trying to pull the grille, and I doubt you could see them from below, but you might be able to see the clips if you stick your head under the hood and look from behind. Try with a flashlight.

• 1 year later...
Slip your hand up from underneath, and feel for the clips. They won't feel like much, but they're there.

After you find them, slip a small flat head screwdriver up there, and push "up" on the clips while pulling straight out.

It's the only thing that worked for me, but YMMV.

Yes, it does work, but I didn't need the screwdriver. Just bias the clip a bit with my finger out it came.:D

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

I never slipped my had underneath..I just slowly wiggled it out. I have removed or switched my grill about 8 times without ever touching the clips. But that def. sounds like the safer way to do it!

I'm having trouble getting those clips to go back on while reinstalling my stock grille.

you kidding me?

stock grille is soooo easy to reinstall than taking it off

just put the stock grille infront of the car, then push and it'll slide back on, the clips will clip itself

it's so easy i was laughing at myself thinking that it'll be a PITA like removing it

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

RBS Grille? Hmmm. I'm seriously considering replacing the stock grille and am having problems finding bolt-on replacements. So far, have only found offerings from PL-tek. Where do I find RBS?

Thanks for the grille removal instructions!

pm WRX_LGT

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Very easy to remove and install.

I have an 07 Spec.B and there were 4 additional clips on the top (not sure if all have them). Simply took small flat head and removed from the 4 clips, reached down from the top and behind and unclipped the 2 fasteners from below and voila ... stock grill off.

Putting back on was even easier ....

• 6 months later...

You don't want to know what it is like on an 08.

My MS Paint skills are pretty terrible

The blue lines are the top 4 clips, and the 6 red x's are actually screws where they screwed the grill into the bumper. it was a PITA to remove the screws.

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v155/222/81/39706490/n39706490_31439249_7725.jpg

This is my really rough sketch of how the clips work out on the bottom of the grill. I felt compelled to post this because I "just pulled" on the grill as told and one of my clips broke off. Hopefully my little diagram makes sense.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/grillclips.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived