LegacyGT.com

How to remove stock bezel and radio

Kellen Woodfield

Hi i am new to this site.

i drive a 2008 legacy se with manual climate control. its just got the two knobs nothing fancy. what i am looking to do is remove the original bezel and stock radio and replace it with a double din bezel to allow an aftermarket touchscreen head unit. would someone be willing to walk me through the steps of removing the trim and bezel correctly so that i dont break anything. also is there anything i would have to worry about as far as the climate control goes or will that not be affected? please help because i would like to do this soon. thank you. kellen :)

Kellen.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6216&highlight=vacation+pictures

If you do your own search for vacation pix, you may have several hits and they may show our family pictures from different years. Select the year you like the most - but there should not be any major differences. We all traveled the same places.

The pictures that I linked you to are from our 2005 trip.

Just trust me.

Manual Trans or auto?

Not sure about the auto, but for the manual turn the shift knob counter clockwise (righty tighty, lefty loosy) until you can feel the knob seperate from the gear shift lever, then pull the plastic piece around the shifter up by grabbing the plastic on the rear part of the boot (basically put your fingers under the boot and pull up). This piece will pop up from the rear, then down and out from the front. Disconnect the wiring going to the ash tray, then remove the two phillips screws (left and right, one per piece) on the two trim pieces to the left and right of the stereo. Once those are out you will see 6 (maybe 4 with manual climate control) phillips screws holding the factory head unit in. Remove those and the unit should come right out.

Hope that helps.

where in CT are you?

zmarko i dont see how that thread applies. im sorry. i took out 4 screws on each side of the radio and it still wouldnt even budge. i dont want to force it out and break anything. could you try and walk me through what you think i need to do

I'm not sure how the '08 compares to '05-'07, but it sounds to me a

little like you missed the screw (on each side) that is recessed back a

couple inches, and maybe removed two (on each side) that hold the

dash together and don't want to be removed.

I'm not sure how the '08 compares to '05-'07, but it sounds to me a

little like you missed the screw (on each side) that is recessed back a

couple inches, and maybe removed two (on each side) that hold the

dash together and don't want to be removed.

ok yea there are 2 screws that are recessed back a ffew inches behind the stereo trim. i wasnt sure if i should remove those because on all the previous forums no one mentioned those screws needing to be removed. but i will give that a try and let you know if that does the trick. thank you for the input.

Archived