LegacyGT.com

First and Reverse gear grind

mindovermattre

Sorry if this has been posted but I have searched and did not come up with anything.

Here's my situation, when I put my car in reverse and start to accelerate in reverse I get this grinding sound, along with the normal gear whine. If I'm reversing very slowly I do not hear it, but once I gain a little speed in reverse I hear the grind and it does not go away as I accelerate.

In first gear, If I accelerate and then lift off the gas and try and cruise in first gear (i.e. when approaching a speed bump) without putting the clutch in, I get this grinding noise. The grinding noise sort of corresponds with the oscillations of the car when you lift off the gas.

I've learned to deal with the first gear one, I just don't cruise in first gear anymore, but the reverse gear I hear every day when I back up.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it normal?

There is no problem getting in gear, the problem is when I am already in gear. My only mod is a megan catback exhaust.

sounds like when it's not in gear completely when in first. and do you go first than reverse, or right into reverse?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

It is completely in gear, this happens when I am already driving. It happens when I just left off the gas and cruise in first for a bit, the grinding corresponds to the car oscillations since there is no more forward momentum.

When I mean reverse gear, I mean like backing out of a parking lot. Once I start to gain a little speed in reverse, I hear the noise as I accelerate.

I went under the car today to see if anything was grinding together, I could not find anything. Maybe someone knows what could be grinding and I can take a better look there?

I have this same problem! I researched this and found other threads like this on nasioc. Many people seem to have the same problem but can't figure out what's causing it. One gentleman says he replaced his clutch, flywheel, and upgraded his gears and still has this problem. Others suggest it's a loose bolt in the transmission ratting with the vibrations. My car developed this at 56,000 miles just out of the blue.

Fortunately people have had this problem since their car was new and it seems to be just an annoyance.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I have the same problem. It just started the other day when i put my megan downpipe on. I sounded like my tires were rubbing on the plastic on the inside of the right wheel. But, I looked and there is no way it is rubbing, it does it in reverse when I have a passenger and if i let off the gas a little up in the revs it will do it, I have noticed it in 1st 2nd and 3rd. It seems to be getting worse, but I'm not sure cause my clutch is toast so I can't really get on it until I get a new one.

fixed the problem, it was my exhaust flanges rubbing on my drive shaft. I fixed it by flipping my mid pipe 180 degrees so the flange on the muffler side is now on the downpipe side and it forced it away from the driveshaft.

Great that you fixed it. So you completely flipped your midpipe? You have a Megan CBE? I don't think my x02 midpipe will work if I flip it since it has a curve to it.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Great that you fixed it. So you completely flipped your midpipe? You have a Megan CBE? I don't think my x02 midpipe will work if I flip it since it has a curve to it.

mine was slightly curved too, but it was very slight. That is the reason it was forced away from the driveshaft, because of the slight curve. I figure the exhaust should be able to handle the stresses, and if it doesn't, well fixing my exhaust is cheaper than fixing my driveshaft.

plus the megan cbe has a small flex joint, which should absorb some of the load even though they are only designed to expand and maybe dampen out some vibrations.

another solution might be to add more material between the exhaust and the heatshield between the downpipe and driveshaft, it will widen the gap if your having the same problem.

• 1 month later...
Any one else still having this problem I tried bending the plates between the pipe and driveshaft, and I got the sti pitch mount, and i looked and the mid pipe does not sit very close the the drive shaft. Mine sounds like it is coming more from the front right too. I pushed my down pipe as far as possible on the mount on the bottom of the transmission and that seemed to help a little, but maybe it was all in my head because I just replaced my clutch. Mine is worse now because i have clutch shudder and it is really started to piss me off, anyone got any new suggestions?

• 4 months later...
I finally figured out what the knocking was. My down pipe what hitting the transmission mount in the first bend that goes up just after the mount to the mid. I pushed it over and wrenched it down tight. I stripped 3 bolts and messed up my hand doing it, but now, no more knocking.

Archived