LegacyGT.com

My Stereo Install-DLS UP6 review

integroid

I have finally come to the point where I feel comfortable sharing the experiences I have had with putting together my stereo and the equipment I am using.

First a little background with me and the Car Audio industry. Cars have always been my love and car stereo's have always been a passion of mine from before I even owned a car. I was installing car stereo’s at the age of about 14 for my friends and family. I always had a strange gift for electronic devices. I started working at a car stereo shop as an installed when I turned 16. I had a competition stereo by the age of 18 that made it to the IASCA Nationals. I was an IASCA judge by the age of 20. I made a lot of extra cash in college by working part time installing/tuning stereos at a local car stereo shop. I completely left the car stereo industry and car stereo’s in general when I graduated from college. I have been slowly getting back into the hobby without the seriousness of what is use to mean to me. Just for fun and the fact that I have forgotten how much I enjoy a good sounding stereo. Ok, enough about me and on with my setup.

Equipment List:

Stock 2005/2006 MP3 Legacy Stereo

Navone LOC

All Power/Speaker Wires by knukonceptz.com

All RCA Cables by Esoteric Audio

DLS UP6 Front Speakers

JL Audio 300/4 Bridged to front speakers

JL Audio 500/1 Subwoofer Amp

JL 10W3 V3

CAS Custom Sub Box

Custom made amp rack

Cheap 1 Farad Cap

eDead V1

I started with using the factory radio because I have not yet found a headunit I am in love with. I have looked at a lot recently and find good and bad features for all that I have considered. I am not in a hurry so I am keeping the stock headunit until I find something I really want. I choose the DLS UP6 because of all of the reviews I have read, the mounting depth of the drivers, and the price I found them for. I wanted something not very harsh and good for all types of music. I honestly only started out wanting a sub and maybe upgraded front speakers. I never had any plans on using more than just the 300/4. Well, I found a great local deal on the 500/1 so I decided to run that on the sub and the 300/4 on the DLS fronts. The UP6 speakers are phenomenal sounding speakers. When I first installed them, I wasn’t too impressed. I thought they sounded good but didn’t think they lived up to the hype. After the initial break-in (about a week) I soon started to realize what everyone was talking about. They are very natural sounding and I think it is safe to say they are probably the best 6 ½ speakers I have heard to date. I used the iaperformance front speaker spacers to mount the UP6 drivers in the door. I made sure and put down one layer of eDead, then mount the rings, finally putting another layer of eDead over the rings before mounting the speakers. This seems to have worked well but forgot to snap shots before I put the panels back onL I then mounted the tweeters in the kick panels following another member’s advice. I tried different polarities for the front speakers and the best I found was wiring the passenger side mid in reverse. The stage is above the dash level and the image is wide and almost dead center. This is of course with the windows up. The mid bass and sub bass responses are excellent. All gains are at about center with the right channel just a hair higher than the left channel. The bass response (mid and sub) is very impressive. I cannot believe how well the car sounds for using the stock head unit and no digital time alignment. I think I have narrowed down the stereo to an Alpine 9887. Seems to have almost everything I am looking for. I really don’t know if I want to mess up a good thing right now. The sound is incredible and I again love driving my car and just listening to the stereo. I can’t believe that I actually enjoy being stuck in traffic againJ

Comments and Questions are welcomed!

lkick.jpg.3cd0f982df0a96c480b622c938bdb9a1.jpg

rkick.jpg.e7a30d017e2e3aa7302abec8f25f174f.jpg

trunk1.jpg.7c01254af17d98ae92b12a57ff677260.jpg

trunk2.jpg.b09169cbafa031eacdb19a26615b8c97.jpg

trunk3.jpg.2bd0924483ea4b4540d771a19aeb4ae2.jpg

trunk4.JPG.e24dd12640c6fa75a99bbc76b4154276.JPG

trunk5.jpg.1991d84ec005a56c0bcfa513fc3d8386.jpg

Looks good. Nice, clean and neat.

Mr David Navone. Fantastic LOC's I might add. I got to meet the man at USACi 2003. Very, very smart audiophile. Ive personally owned a N777 and N85, which have both done their job flawlessly.

The Alpine 9887 is a fabulous choice. Alpine has done us well in the past. Its a shame we do not have the ability to carry their radios.

Rich @ HCA

Is eDead like dynomat? I am not familiar with that product.

Yes, eDead is like Dynomat except about half the cost. You can find it at edesignaudio.com. I found a box of it laying in my garage that I had purchased for another vehicle but never used. I figured it wouldn't hurt installing it on my front doors:)

Well, The Navone LOC is actually a pretty high end LOC as far as LOC go. I had it left over from my previous life so I figured I might as well put it to use:) Plus, I knew I was not keeping the factory radio so I couldn't justify spending the $$$ on the clean sweep. I wish I could hear a car with a clean sweep in it and compare it to my car. It would be great to be able to compare the clean sweep with my LOC.

Nice quality install. Clean and simple.

Well as soon as my CS arrives tomorrow (JL ended up completely replacing it) and I get things re-tuned, maybe we can meet up so you can hear a fairly similar setup. I too used the eDead in the doors (3 layers), have a 300/4, a 500/1 and a JL 10W6 sub.

I'd like to hear yours as well for comparison. It'd be unfair to judge my CS since obviously there was a problem. As you read my earlier post, I was NOT impressed and seriously considered the Navone LOC. I figured I'd give the CS a fair shake since Manville's group is a reputable bunch.

I also had a similar (though not as extensive) experience growing up. At the age of 15 I had already installed my first system in my mom's 626 and was installing friends' systems by 16 and worked for shops through early college. Never got into the IASCA stuff though.

First, props on a solid installation! With regards to the LOC, why not consider an RF 3sixty2? It's far above and beyond a LOC and the ability to tune from the drivers seat is priceless...

Yes but read one of my previous posts. I am not planning on keeping the factory radio so no sense in spending money on a CS or 3sixty. Thanks for the props!

Nice quality install. Clean and simple.

Well as soon as my CS arrives tomorrow (JL ended up completely replacing it) and I get things re-tuned, maybe we can meet up so you can hear a fairly similar setup. I too used the eDead in the doors (3 layers), have a 300/4, a 500/1 and a JL 10W6 sub.

I'd like to hear yours as well for comparison. It'd be unfair to judge my CS since obviously there was a problem. As you read my earlier post, I was NOT impressed and seriously considered the Navone LOC. I figured I'd give the CS a fair shake since Manville's group is a reputable bunch.

str8dwn, PM when you get everything working again. I have the weekend off from the family so I could meet you somewhere this weekend if you have everything back together. I live ITP on the north part of 85.

Looks great. However, just FYI, the Navone LOC has some inherent flaws that affect the lower octaves. Apparently, there is a bump around 100 hz, then a severe drop-off starting around 70 hz. See here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165892&postcount=2

I experienced the same effect using one with the OEM H/U in my STi. With that being said, if it sounds good to you, then that's what matters. Great job on the install.

Rick

Wow, nice find. I will keep that in mind. I wonder if this was an isolated case? I haven't heard anyone else having problems like this with the Navone LOC.

Like I said, I dont plan on keeping the factory stereo so I am not to concerened about it.

Archived