LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Hey guys, relatively new to the forum here. Just wondering if there is anyone else on here in the South East Pa area that mountain bikes. If so what do you ride and where at? I've got a 2012 Giant Trance X4. I ride the Nockamixon trails in Bucks County alot as well as the Trexler Nature Preserve trails. The Trexler trails are some of the best around, very unique and fun terrain. They have a lot of flowy downhill sections with great berms and even some jumps. Heres a picture of my bike:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l615/NickZabrecky/B6EAF634-9164-41C2-B1DA-58606935F558-746-00000044DAE26EA4.jpg

We can even expand this topic out to anyone who mountain bikes and feels like chiming in!

I ride at least once a week. We usually do bigger rides on Sunday morning. Been riding these places a lot, The Wissy, French creek, white clay, Fair Hill, and it looks like Brandywine is going to become a heavy hitter because I drive past it on my way to work. During the week, smaller rides we do Marsh creek, Valley Forge, St Peters and there is some single track in Phoenixville where I live. I am currently riding a Salsa Mamasita that I built up a couple of seasons ago. Will post up some pics tonight when I get to my computer. I have heard good thing about your area. We should do a car meet/ ride.

Ahh. Good old Lake Nockamixon...where some 50+ Legacies all got pulled over at the same time.

How does something like this happen??

I ride at least once a week. We usually do bigger rides on Sunday morning. Been riding these places a lot, The Wissy, French creek, white clay, Fair Hill, and it looks like Brandywine is going to become a heavy hitter because I drive past it on my way to work. During the week, smaller rides we do Marsh creek, Valley Forge, St Peters and there is some single track in Phoenixville where I live. I am currently riding a Salsa Mamasita that I built up a couple of seasons ago. Will post up some pics tonight when I get to my computer. I have heard good thing about your area. We should do a car meet/ ride.

and a car meet up/ ride day sounds like a great idea. We'll have to see how much interest we can generate from people in the area. I've been hiking at french creek but have never ridden there although it looked like a good time while i was hiking. I haven't really heard of many of the other trails, I'll have to do some research and look into them.

Edited by NKZY

Yeah I actually ordered two so I can carry a backup. Fortunately I had a couple of links in my pack. I ended up taping the derailleur to my frame and set it up as a single speed. We were able to finish the ride, about an hour with no other problems. This has me seriously considering going ss.

^^^Yeah, had a buddy blow up his rear-end last week about 6 miles from the car. Chain, hanger, derail, ten or so spokes. Got a ss rigged up, but the chain kept bucking as the rear suspension sucked up the downhill. He basically had to Fred Flinstone a few miles of gnar. No fun...for him, of course! Lesson learned.

^^^Yeah, had a buddy blow up his rear-end last week about 6 miles from the car. Chain, hanger, derail, ten or so spokes. Got a ss rigged up, but the chain kept bucking as the rear suspension sucked up the downhill. He basically had to Fred Flinstone a few miles of gnar. No fun...for him, of course! Lesson learned.

That sucks man! Do you ever get out to Crested Butte or Gunnison?

Funny...my riding buddy this weekend had his free hub go a little too free. Complete failure. We had already done 20 miles of a 30 mile ride up here near Seattle. Luckily, we could get back on the forest service road and I towed m back the final 10 miles. I'm still recovering.

Cheers,

Mike

^^

Not sure which is worse...we talked about trying to zip tie his rear cassette to his spokes but figured that the zip ties would fail pretty quickly.

The fixie might be tough on some of the technical DH portions as you'd have to keep peddling...

One thing is for sure...there is no way to do a trailside fix for a free hub.

Glad you guys made it out too.

Beer note...funny...he drove so I brought the beer.

Cheers,

Mike

^^^Been to Crested Butte a few times to ride, haven't been to Gunnison, at least not to ride. I really dig Salida + the Monarch Crest as well. You make it out this way often?

I lived out there for a couple of years. Went back last summer for the first time since 2001-2 and got to ride some of the old haunts and a ton of new trails. I think I have some good footage from Dr's Park at home, will post up later.

biking is my addiction. 6 bikes in the house. 2 belong to my 12 year old and the rest mine. last several years I've been racing cross. and this last year I've spent more time on gravel grinders vs single track.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

^^nice! Starting them out young, that's awesome!

I keep bending the larger cogs on my rear SRAM cassette.. would an XTR cassette be any better?

I would be interested in knowing how do you bend the rear cassette cogs too? I would imagine this isn't the easiest thing to do?

biking is my addiction. 6 bikes in the house. 2 belong to my 12 year old and the rest mine. last several years I've been racing cross. and this last year I've spent more time on gravel grinders vs single track.

Sounds like you have quite the stable! I am down to a two bike house now, well three if you count my old GT vertigo.

I would be interested in knowing how do you bend the rear cassette cogs too? I would imagine this isn't the easiest thing to do?

My bike mechanic tells me I need to change gears before I hit the steep part of the hill I'm climbing instead of during.. me and my fat legs provide too much torque so when the chain is moving it grabs the cog and twists it laterally.

He's also saying the lightweight SRAM cassette uses too thin and light metal so the burlier Shimano would help reduce that.

^^nice! Starting them out young, that's awesome!

yep. he's been on training wheels since he was four. he's in 6th grade now and rides his bike to school every day. minus the rain/snow. He's done a couple cx races and just recently paired up with me to do a 12 hour mtb race with my buddy and his son who did the same. course was about 9 miles long and he did 45 miles over the course of the day. had a blast.

Sounds like you have quite the stable! I am down to a two bike house now, well three if you count my old GT vertigo.

93 litespeed obed,

03 Turner Burner (my race bike)

05 fuji cross pro (my pit bike/mixed surface bike)

12 Bianchi Zurigo (race bike for cx).

yeah....and i wanna another:lol:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos