LegacyGT.com

1999 Legacy SUS Starting Problem

My 99 SUS has had an intermittent starting issue for the last 18 months or so, sometimes when I turn the key to the crank position all I get is a click. So far I have replaced the starter and solenoid, these were new (not re-manufactured) parts, and the battery. Also, I can often get the car to start by either waiting an extended period of time (at least 30 mins) or sometimes by rapping my hand against the panel below the steering column right above the pedals.

If anyone has any idea what I might need to do I would greatly appreciate the advice. The problem has been getting progressively worse and is beginning to wear thin on my nerves.

Hello;

Above the clutch pedal is a switch for cranking the engine. One side is grounded, the other leads to a relay. Check both items! Steven.

I should have mentioned before this car is an automatic, all 99 SUS models were automatic from what I'm told. Also, if you're talking about the ignition switch relay, I've already replaced it and the problem persisted, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm thinking the only thing left that it could be is the key or more probably the ignition lock and cylinder, a pricey fix but if it is what needs to be done, it will be done.

Archived