LegacyGT.com

GC8 STi control arms?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RED! Did you paint those control arms black? Looks good but i like the aluminium ones

I didn't paint them, that's how they came. I like the aluminum arms as well, but I'll just stick with the GC8 arms for now. I've seen the aluminum arms for sale on NASIOC quite a bit for $250-300. Maybe later.

what wheels will you be using by the way?

I currently have 02 16" WRX wheels on the wagon. I'll need 5mm spacers for the 4 pots to clear.

A coworker has a STi with glossy black 4 pots and they look really slick! I need to find someplace that can sandblast them for me.

You can't go wrong with red or black. Have you given any thought to powder coating them if your gona media blast them then it would be an option. oem wheels on the gc8 are 16's that should be perfect to use wrx wheels. your car is gona stop on a dime by the way!

Isn't the body of your car silver and black wrx wheels? I think it would be different if you painted the calipers and brackets the color of the body and the "Subaru"casting red or black. Paint the control arms red or even yellow.

I like the idea of silver calipers and black lettering!

As far as powder coating Ill have to investigate how much that would cost.

Edit: Powdercoating the calipers appears to be waaaay to much. Screw that! I'm going to wire wheel and paint them myself.

Edited by monkeyposeur

http://www.g2usa.com/product/G2.html

high temp engine paint^

also the only stencil i had made at the time

Looks good, I was at lowes yesterday to get a can of plastidip, and I saw they bad a bunch of different colors of high temp paints. Even a lime green one twisty.

Edited by pleaidestar

G2 can make custom color paint as well. It's $99 while the regular kit is $50. The silver looks like it would match pretty good from the images I've seen on the web.

I'm going to see if my body shop makes custom color engine paint as well.

Edited by monkeyposeur

How do you polish them?

The pads look pretty worn so I am going to get new ones. Any suggestions as to what are pretty good and not super expensive? I haven't had the rotors checked out yet to see if they can be turned or if they are still good yet either. I've seen some inexpensive rotors on ebay but I don't know about the quality.

And how much brake fluid do I need to purchase? I've only changed rotors and pads so I'm a brake noob.

Polishing brake calipers is along the same lines of wheel polishing, if you wanted to remove the paint from your wheels and end with a chrome-like finish. You can do them by hand but its quite tedious because of the curves and corners of the calipers.

I have done some before on some rsx calipers before I put them on my civic years ago, I sanded them out with some 250 grit emory cloth and got some rough rubbing compound got them shiny on a bench grinder with a wool polishing wheel. You can get them to a mirror finish if you polish them on the wheel with a 400 grit scratch and a fine rubbing compound. Its a pretty dirty job but worth it in the end if that's the look you like.

I had some six spoke drags on my civic with those big shiny calipers and I was totally happy. They were blinding.

Edited by pleaidestar

A pint of brake fluid should fill the lines and reservoir, you will have enough to top off the master cylinder after you bleed them afterwards.

If you want a lifetime ceramic brake pad just get the mastercraft ceramics from autozone or O'reillys, there about 45 bucks per set..they are pretty good. I bought the ebc reds after I bought new rotors, I have shitty L brakes so I need all the friction and stopping power I can get..lol I hate my brakes and envy yours...do them some justice bro!!!

You got what you need to make it a lot easier then. They will come out nice then if you don't like it you can still paint them with a good smooth surface and the paint will look shinier. When you clean them you can spray them with a 10% ammonia 90% water, thats a detailers trick to remove swirl marks and haze before a coat of finishing gloss goes on a fresh paint job.

• 5 months later...

Hello, I saw your thread and just wanted to confirm will the GC8 rear control arms work with my 98 Legacy Gt? I folded my right rear wheel under due to a rock offroading here in arizona the other day and found a nice set of GC8 adjustable arms I would love to have but I need to know if they will work?

Thanks

Cassidy

• 2 weeks later...
The sway bar mounts on my BK are at the wrong angle. But all I have to do is use BD mounts and I should be good to go.

so have you install them yet , do the sedan mounts fix the sawy bar issues. and also what 5mm spaces for mounting the wheels on the new hubs?

Edited by LegGtBK97