LegacyGT.com

VIR Full Course 3.27 miles, Subaru Outback XT, 2:17 lap time, 146MPH top speed

no i dont have pics. the cooler i mounted behind the grill in front of the radiator. its hooked up with a sandwich plate above the oil filter.

http://www.maperformance.com/maperformance-ss-oil-cooler-kit-subaru-wrx-sti-2002.html

Cool, thanks for the link - I've been looking for an all-in-one kit.

Couple more questions:

- I see you have the STI gauge pack, as do I, and it also uses its own sandwich adapter. Did you stack the sandwich adapters and were there any clearance issues of the oil lines with the exhaust manifold?

- Did you buy the kit as is? Assuming so, are the included oil lines of adequate length?

And have you observed the oil temps drop when on track? On a lapping day, I've seen the oil temp reach 125 deg C, before having to back off. I'm running a Koyo radiator as well.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool, thanks for the link - I've been looking for an all-in-one kit.

Couple more questions:

- I see you have the STI gauge pack, as do I, and it also uses its own sandwich adapter. Did you stack the sandwich adapters and were there any clearance issues of the oil lines with the exhaust manifold?

- Did you buy the kit as is? Assuming so, are the included oil lines of adequate length?

And have you observed the oil temps drop when on track? On a lapping day, I've seen the oil temp reach 125 deg C, before having to back off. I'm running a Koyo radiator as well.

Yes i did stack the sandwich adapters. So the oil filter is dropped down another inch. I dont have any clearance issues, but i have aftermarket headers. i would think it should work with stock setup.

After the oil cooler i'm hitting 110 C max by the end of a hard session. Before I too was going over 125 C.

• 1 month later...

Another trip to VIR. New best for me. 2:19 lap time. Could probably shave a second or two off that if I drove 100% and the temp was cool. I got my best lap during the first session and I was driving about 90%.

Later I did a few laps at 100% but my best was 2:20. The difference is the first session it was 55 degrees and the second session temp had went up to 85 degrees. My top speed the first session was 136MPH where in the second session it was only 132MPH.

I could really notice the extra power the cool temps give to the car.

Here is a video of the fastest lap:

Oh here is a short video of a nice save I made when I went into turn 1 too hot and off line (due to a pass) right after the green flag dropped. Cold brakes almost got me. The 370Z in front of me went off track, but I managed to do a full on drift and save it. Here is a video of that save:

Not to be a bother but could you snap a picture of the oil cooler thru the grill just so I can see placement to get a idea. I picked up the same setup and need some creative idea on mounting the core.

Not to be a bother but could you snap a picture of the oil cooler thru the grill just so I can see placement to get a idea. I picked up the same setup and need some creative idea on mounting the core.

Will do. Might be a couple of days before I get the chance.

oldskoolbiker- Did Moore Automotive build that shortblock for you, if not who did? How many miles have you put on it?

No it was IAG. Latest rebuild was last summer, so I guess I've got 12K or so on it. Before that I had it built I guess 3 years ago. I had about 20K on that build, but a fuel pressure regular hose came off at the track and screwed up my AFR and I had cracked the block before I realized it. I have a Wideband AFR gauge now to know something wrong.

I did get Moore to add some additional bits, and also tune it since I wasn't happy with Jorge's tune.

Oh I tried to take a picture of the oil cooler, but it was useless. It's behind the grill and it's black. So next to impossible to get a photo, and any photo I took you couldn't tell anything about it.

Hey oldskoolbiker, What are your alignment specs?

So right now its just -1 degree camber all the way around. 0 toe I believe. I'm going to bump that camber up however because I ordered R compound tires to use at my next trip to the track. The car is pretty neutral. I do put a couple more psi in the rear tires

• 3 weeks later...
When your Turbo blew - what Turbo where you on / what caused it?

It was a VF-52 that I had installed and the car tuned for. It blew at the track not that long after I had it put on. Subaru did actually warranty the turbo though, so maybe it was defective. However, the shop that repaired the car didn't do enough of a job to clean out the engine so the new turbo blew again a couple of months afterwards.

This time I got a full engine rebuild, and I haven't had any more turbo issues since then. That was 40K miles ago.

• 8 months later...

I generally like the 17's better. I've got 225/45 R17's that I use for street. They are a little smaller diameter than stock. I thought about getting some 18's to use at the track, but couldn't find a good rim/tire combination that would fit and have available track tires. So I got some 17's for track use as well size 255/40 R17's.

I didn't remove any spacers.

How many mile do you have on the cosworth setup now. is it quiet on cold mornings?

Thanks.

So that Cosworth setup is a new build. It's still in the shop getting getting built. Had to have custom FMIC piping, CAI, Up Pipe and Down Pipe made. Those pipes are off getting Powder Coated and Ceramic Coated. I expect the the car to be done in about 1 month.

cosworth.thumb.jpg.92df04675e9bc9edadcc7b1b002ad3c6.jpg

That engine is beautiful. Is that an oil cooler mounted where the oem tmic was?

Did your old block wear out? Are you changing the turbo to something bigger?

Do you have to deal with getting the car smogged where you live?

Sorry for all the questions.

So my last engine lasted about 1 year. It was put together by IAG. Stock block with Manley rods, pistons and ACL race bearings. I put about 8 track days on the engine after it was done by IAG and I started getting massive blowby. Took it to Moore, after failing the compression test they pulled the engine and tore it down. They said that the clearance between the pistons and piston walls was way too much. They said it looked like IAG sold me a block that had already been bored out. So basically the piston slap wore down the piston rings and started allowing the blowby. After tearing it totally down they determined nothing was rebuildable.

So I found a new Cosworth longblock which was for sale locally and picked that up. This build is going all out. So yes upgrading the turbo again to a EFR 7163. (Had previously upgraded to a Bouch 380XT. Car had 325 WHP on the last build)

Yes that is an oil cooler going where the TMIC used to be. I already had it before mounted behind the grill, but moving it up there.

Yes the car has to be smogged, but since the car is AWD they only do a visual and ODBII since the dyno for a smog test is for 2WD cars. So I'm getting a "non-cat" put on the downpipe which is a straight pipe that looks like a CAT, and the Smog codes will be deleted with the access port so it will always report that it passes.

I'm hoping this Cosworth build will hold up for a while since I like to go to the the track. I'm going to get a pretty conservative tune, but with this build 400-450 WHP will be conservative.

Here is the link that shows the car mods I'll have when it's done.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JxnmjggqB40--i4kAZi4VOQyceTxzPM5F8cOr_88ZX8/edit?usp=sharing

That sucks, did you just drop your car off at IAG for the first built. Did they tell you that you was getting new parts put in? Sounds like something that scares me about dropping my car off and paying for xyz and getting something totally different done. Sounds like they had a refurbished block that they bored over and dropped some pistons and rods. Another 100whp is going to be fun when you pass some exotics at the track.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Archived