LegacyGT.com

Legacy overheating even after fix

bocard80o

http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/bolt-extractors

Correction,they do sell them individually.

Can also try Amazon and E bay for these.

Sears has their own branded version (don't know who makes it for them tho).

Looking at site shipping is more than the tool.

When I bought mine (Home Depot I think), it was $30 a set, 2 years ago.

O.

No heat: low on coolant or air pocket, or if still overheating, stuck T stat or malfunctioning water pump.

I would burp the system again.

If you can incline the front end when its idling.

O.

so i finally got the thermostat housing off...and there was no thermostat! i think the mechanic removed it before...but shes still overheating...can not having a thermostat make it overheat? because now i have a check engine light and the code that cones out has to do with the thermostat.

Sounds bad. Replace T stat oem or Stant Xactsta#48457 only.Prayerfully, that is it.

Still possible water pump.

Tis cheaper and easier to do pump than HG, which if it comes to that you'll replace anyway.

O.

It is possible for a car to over heat without a thermostat but usually you just notice no heat and engine never gets to full operating tempature in winter time. But if the coolant is moving too fast and not regulated by thermostat the coolant cant absorb the heat from the motor efficiently and can cause motor to over heat. Its not abnormal to only see one fan running the second will kick when ac is on. I would say either have a blockage or air pocket. I would suggest taking the top radiator loose from radiator and see if there is coolant in that line. If not pour the coolant in that hose to fill the block up. With the thermostat on bottom of the block it doesnt allow coolant to backfill the block because it is closed. When it heats up the pump is just above it running dry and cant cycle what coolant there is. Btw you are letting your temp gauge get way too high i would shut it off right before it hits the h mark. Aluminum blocks are not as forgiving as cast iron. Good luck.

..... But if the coolant is moving too fast and not regulated by thermostat the coolant cant absorb the heat from the motor efficiently and can cause motor to over heat.......

Don't want to get off topic, but this statement is inaccurate.

The coolant absorbs the heat by surface interaction. Can't move too fast. This is why a car with no t-stat doesn't get heat, for the coolant doesn't get hot enough.

The OP sitaution with heat, but no stat lends me to believe there is a blockage of some sort (air/bad pump).

O.

Hello;

I am thinking that the Bars Stop Leak has plugged your radiator! You need to take this out and have it cleaned at a radiator shop! A cheaper fix would be getting a replacement at a Pull and Pay. After this is done use a coolant system cleaner to remove the rest of the gunk! This may have to be repeated. Have seen quite a few radiators being replaced after using Bars. Steven.

OK. If the coolant level is not too high (or remove some), leave the radiator cap off and let the car run.

When the T stat opens, you will see the coolant flowing across the radiator if the pump is working.

Your original post says the coolant was leaking from the lower radiator hose which you replaced.

Now, is the top hose hot and the lower just warm?

Where in Jersey are you? Should probably update your profile with location. There may be a forum member near who can take a look.

O.

Don't want to get off topic, but this statement is inaccurate.

The coolant absorbs the heat by surface interaction. Can't move too fast. This is why a car with no t-stat doesn't get heat, for the coolant doesn't get hot enough.

The OP sitaution with heat, but no stat lends me to believe there is a blockage of some sort (air/bad pump).

O.

You should do a little more research for the same reason you get no heat is the same reason it cant absorb from heat from the motor in return the coolant doesnt hold the heat to be used in the heater core. Will typically only overheat in summer but is possible. Physics buddy!

My '96 Outback started to overheat ... never had before.

I changed the thermostat and radiator cap.

Still overheating. :spin:

I ran car around neighborhood then back in the driveway, popped the hood, goosed the throttle linkage while checking my overflow reservoir for pressure bubbles.

Bingo! Pressure bubbles ..... Bad Head Gasket :eek:

My '96 Outback started to overheat ... never had before.

I changed the thermostat and radiator cap.

Still overheating. :spin:

I ran car around neighborhood then back in the driveway, popped the hood, goosed the throttle linkage while checking my overflow reservoir for pressure bubbles.

Bingo! Pressure bubbles ..... Bad Head Gasket :eek:

Ohhh man !

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Archived