LegacyGT.com

95 legacy wont start

ryno

While passing another vehicle, the engine kicked the transmission down and then I heard what I believe was a backfire, then lost all power and the engine died/wont start. I suspected a timing belt jump or break, but have pulled the belt off and there is no apparent damage, looked good so I reinstalled the belt. I'm near 100 percent positive that the cams are all aligned properly, but the car still will not start. The motor turns over and seems to want to fire, and occasionally will backfire if I hold the key over, so I don't suspect any internal problem. I have little experience with Subarus, so I am not familiar with the different sensors on the car. I have been researching cam sensors (not sure if this could be a problem). I don't have a spark tester to test for spark, would go buy one if necessary, but this doesn't seem like a logical problem considering the car broke under power. Possibly an oxygen sensor or something? Any advise would be great.

Since this post, I've checked for spark (fine) and replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor. Still no go. Does anyone have experience with the cam Sensors? Would faulty sensors cause the engine to turn over, but not fire?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived