LegacyGT.com

BMB's OBXT Build Thread

BarManBean

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol, you jealous? :p I needed a different clutch and the 6mt was too good a deal to pass up--changing from the outback 4.44 to the 6mt was worth every penny IMO. And hey, at least I didn't add in an LSD--maybe later :)

AOS is running through my mind for a couple reasons:

-Group buy is at 25% off right now

-Will remove the PCV so I won't need to both with that at all

-From what I gather it aides in preventing oil vapors from potentially lowering the octane of the gas in the car, thus preventing the possibility of knock. Anything that prevents knock is a good thing since that's really what kills the motors in these cars.

Aside from the fact that it's about $300, any reason I shouldn't install one? You're the racecar driver after all, I guess the rest of us can't install nice / fun / pointless parts because we only drive on the streets? :spin:

Im running the crawford.....Great piece. i wouldn't pay full price so doing it on the group buy is good. I purchased mine on a group buy then sold it new and installed the grimmspeed. I really didn't care for the grimmspeed and it was a bit milky in cold winters...

Bought another crawford V2 AOS and installed it and been great ever since.

Over time the stock PVC system will be full of gunk. When I took mine apart it was full of milky residue. Had to use a coat hanger and a rag to clean the plastic crossover tube when I changed the PVC.

Later I installed the crawford and so far the AOS is working like a champ.

I would def go with the crawford.

• Moderators
Nice following another OB build thread by the way.....

Why did you sell the LGT wagon?

Sold it because it was a 5eat. I had brought that car to stage 2 with sways, and was ready to bolt on a koni setup when I just decided I didn't want to put anymore money / effort into a 5eat car that I wasn't completely happy with.

Now with the OBXT it's pretty much no holds barred :lol: The OBXTs do have some shortfalls compared to the LGT wagons, but mines nearly modified to the point that everything on it is now better than an LGT wagon, so eff it ;) Just need some brakes...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Yea I agree....When I bought mine I didn't know they even made a LGT wagon 5 speed or thats what I would have purchased.

Now Im just converting it over...LOL

I will say the flares and body cladding on the OXT I actually like better for some reason especially lowered with fat tires.

• Moderators
I will say the flares and body cladding on the OXT I actually like better for some reason especially lowered with fat tires.

Agreed. I really like the look. Although I'm very happy mine is all one color--I don't love all of the different colors on certain outbacks.

• Moderators
You may be interested in my Brembo project :hide:

Is it shiny? If so I'm probably interested, lol. I actually have a set of brembo front rotors. Should probably either buy calipers to match or get rid of them!

Is it shiny? If so I'm probably interested, lol. I actually have a set of brembo front rotors. Should probably either buy calipers to match or get rid of them!

It is so shiny :) While I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, I am looking to mount the rear calipers without using adaptors or special e-brake shoes. Looks promising so far. The fronts are cake of course.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

• Moderators
I am specifically referring to the last gear of your old vs. 'new' transmission. big difference in rpm for a given speed (e.g. 70mph)?

I know what you meant. And yes, it's a huge difference. Cruising RPM is about 500rpms lower on the highway at 70mph. And the 6mt is quieter than the 4.44 5mt was when cruising--noisier on acceleration, but quieter when cruising. I have all sorts of aftermarket bushings in there tho', so I actually expected *more* noise that I get from the setup. Win.

• Moderators
500 rpm is a lot. You must have increased mpg fuel economy then, if you don't push the car too hard.

I would assume so. I haven't done the math yet to figure out my actual mileage. After switching to smaller tires overall my speedometer / odometer is all sorts of off. Stinks because the odometer is now recording more miles than I'm actually putting on the car. At the moment I don't have a solution for that other than eventually moving towards larger tires again--might try to pickup summer rubber that is larger, and I'm interested to hear scooby2.5's report on how the 245/45r18s play with the new RCE tarmacs that he has :)

• Moderators
Get the 245/45/18s. You will be happy. Promise. As long as you have SpecB struts or coilovers that is.

I would love to be able to fit those. Wanna loan yours for a quick test fit sometime? (Maybe before it warms up and you actually need them for summer)

I know what you meant. And yes, it's a huge difference. Cruising RPM is about 500rpms lower on the highway at 70mph. And the 6mt is quieter than the 4.44 5mt was when cruising--noisier on acceleration, but quieter when cruising. I have all sorts of aftermarket bushings in there tho', so I actually expected *more* noise that I get from the setup. Win.

I calculated this all out somewhere, the spec b has a more overdriven 5th and 6th than the STI but even my STI swap is better.

If you stay with the exact same diameter tire you went to a 3.90 final drive in 4th or 5th when its 1:1 compared to a 4.44 Then multiply the overdrive gears by 3.90 and its higher for lower RPM on the highway

The cool thing is the first 3-4 gears in the STI and Spec b transmissions are lower so when you multiply that out, you find that in the first few gears the final drive is about the same as the 5 speed with 4.44

So through 1-4 its the same or lower even with the 3.90 final drive and 5th and 6th is more overdrive....

Couldn't be a more perfect swap :)

I would assume so. I haven't done the math yet to figure out my actual mileage. After switching to smaller tires overall my speedometer / odometer is all sorts of off. Stinks because the odometer is now recording more miles than I'm actually putting on the car. At the moment I don't have a solution for that other than eventually moving towards larger tires again--might try to pickup summer rubber that is larger, and I'm interested to hear scooby2.5's report on how the 245/45r18s play with the new RCE tarmacs that he has :)

Im running 245x45x18.5 STI wheels with my BC/BR coils now, so I would think the RCE would be fine.....

These are 55 offset wheels but I am running a 15mm 100 to 114 adapter spacer so really I am at 40 offset which gives me a bit more room on the inside.

had to roll the fenders a bit as I am just above the tire with my ride height but it looks pretty good.

I could have stayed right at LGT height around 15 inches from hub center to fender edge and it would have been fine.

I am about 14.5 inches.....

Archived