LegacyGT.com

BMB's OBXT Build Thread

BarManBean

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
How did you pick Cryo? I am trying to decide which tuner to use for a custom map on my AP.

At the time of my first tune there were two major tuners offering opensource e-tuning. I won't get into the specifics of why, but it was an easy choice for every single reason from my point of view. PM me if you want more specific info.

I'm tuning with Dave for a second time, which should give you a pretty good idea of my opinion of his service. He's very responsive and helpful throughout the process.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Please post or PM "reasons." I just want to understand your criteria. Maybe they align with mine, maybe not.

+1. I am currently debating which tuner I'll choose as well for my stage 1 etune. Debating between Tuningalliance, brentuning and cryo..

• Moderators

I'll just post here.

When I first started modifying my last car (LGT wagon) and I got to the point of needing a tune I obviously wanted someone who was competent / skilled in tuning these cars. Beyond that, I wanted someone that would respond quickly with answers to the questions that I would surely want to ask along the way. Neither my last LGT nor my outback are terribly expensive cars at the end of the day, but they were/are MINE, and I depend on my car to get me to work, cart my family around, etc and I invest a lot of time and effort into them. I didn't want to feel like I was JUST sending a spreadsheet full of numbers to a stranger and in return getting some completely cryptic file back in return with zero knowledge of what I was even doing to my car.

I laugh as I type that last sentence, because I basically have no idea what Dave does to the car :lol: That said, I feel like Dave always takes the time to review everything that I send him--logs, learning views, and most importantly seat impressions. He overcommunicates when needed (this is a GOOD thing) and is quick to help with any issues that might come up.

tl;dr - Dave has been doing this for a while / knows his stuff, communicates well, has great customer service, regularly provides technical support when needed, and regularly provides same-day revisions without things feeling "rushed". Oh, and my last tune from him ran trouble free for 10k miles at which point I sold the LGT to swap over to this outback. Why would I not be a repeat customer?

FWIW, I'm sure that Bren and TuningAlliance would provide a great experience / result as well--they would be the only other tuners on my list if I was going a different route. I wouldn't feel the need to search any further than the three tuners you mention, xt2005--get in touch with all three of them and get a feel for who you want to work with. Completing an etune isn't a chore and it isn't difficult, but in my experience is does involve a good bit of back-and-forth communication and you should be comfortable with who you are paying to work on your car.

Hope that helps, pm me with specific questions or ask them here.

• Moderators
Also worth noting that I'm now on revision 2 of my tune. I wasn't really able to do anything with it on the way into work due to traffic, but I'm definitely looking forward to feeling the pulls on this one... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well, not surprisingly my clutch is slipping. 70k miles and tuning for stage 2, i guess it is what it is.

Since I have a 16g waiting on the shelf now I went with the FX350, should have no issue holding whatever I end up throwing at it.

I wish I had gone with the FX350 instead of the CCI stage 2 & LWFW. I'll probably look to change out the clutch later in the year. The stock one never slipped at stage 2, but stage 3 showed its limitations. You're also carrying around a little more weight than I am... :lol:
Tits mcgee

• Moderators
I wish I had gone with the FX350 instead of the CCI stage 2 & LWFW. I'll probably look to change out the clutch later in the year. The stock one never slipped at stage 2, but stage 3 showed its limitations. You're also carrying around a little more weight than I am... :lol:

I think the FX350 will end up being overkill for me, but honestly there's nothing better out there right now that touts any better drivability.

• I Donated
I think the FX350 will end up being overkill for me, but honestly there's nothing better out there right now that touts any better drivability.

South Bend Clutch gets good reviews on NASIOC. I emailed them, they recommended the Stage 2 Daily clutch for my purposes. I've had it installed for about 3000 miles now. Organic full-face disk, so it's better driveability than segmented Kevlar. Not sure how their pedal effort stacks up to the FX300/FX350 on the 5MT, though.

• Moderators
South Bend Clutch gets good reviews on NASIOC. I emailed them, they recommended the Stage 2 Daily clutch for my purposes. I've had it installed for about 3000 miles now. Organic full-face disk, so it's better driveability than segmented Kevlar. Not sure how their pedal effort stacks up to the FX300/FX350 on the 5MT, though.

We'll find out soon, I guess :lol:

Will have to get together sometime after install / break-in just to see how they match up.

• Moderators
I'm thinking fx200 when I need one

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thought about fx200/fx250 but didn't see the point. Cost seemed to be the same and driving impressions were hard to find / much the same. From researching, the 350 should actually be a bit more driver friendly than the 300.

• Moderators
are you going to do the TSK3 TOB too?

Yeah. Setup will be FX350, new WRX SMFW, and TSK3 kit. I had picked up the SMFW and TSK3 kit a bit ago just to have on the shelf for when I needed them. Didn't think it would be quite this soon, but oh well. Buying them when I did saved me about $250 :) (which is nice when the damn clutch is $600 :mad:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
In for pics of your busted knuckles :)

Sorry to disappoint, but the damage is minimal. And I don't even where gloves 95% of the time. I think I threw them on when I installed the TOB and when I was cleaning the surface of the flywheel, lol

DSC_0001_zps8663abca.thumb.jpg.c96225ae7e0d27212be2c88a46329242.jpg

DSC_0002_zps9aead1e2.thumb.jpg.6b72e8fdab220efeaefd8d3b7cf706af.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsfef7b900.thumb.jpg.86ed2caabcc2609c2a3bc67607a581f7.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

My headlights are en route back from TRS after being gone for quite a while--looking forward to some HID goodness.

Also upcoming: LGT rear UCAs with KCA399 bushings, RCE Tarmac 1 coils, most likely a set of Enkei Raijins in gunmetal, and some 245/45r18 tires. whooo.

Archived