LegacyGT.com

BMB's OBXT Build Thread

BarManBean

SS lines, Stoptech pads, Legacy GT, brakes, GS master cylinder brace - I wouldn't really say it's transformed. But it is a lot easier to break and takes much less effort.

It's possible I need to bleed my brakes again though.

I did add a lot of weight to the front wheels compared to the stock OBXT setup though. So, that's the downside.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want better brakes, put on some different pads on blank rotors. Hawk hps are awesome. You don't need brembos to stop

thanks for the tip. I may actually go ahead and try this first. Troubleshooting 101: change one variable at a time and re-assess conditions :spin:

• Moderators
thanks for the tip. I may actually go ahead and try this first. Troubleshooting 101: change one variable at a time and re-assess conditions :spin:

Again, take your "one variable at a time" attitude outta here. This is a thread for blatant recklessness and abandon, thank you very much :lol:

Except that at the end of the day I'm pretty particular, so yeah, I guess that doesn't really apply ;)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Again, take your "one variable at a time" attitude outta here. This is a thread for blatant recklessness and abandon, thank you very much :lol:

Except that at the end of the day I'm pretty particular, so yeah, I guess that doesn't really apply ;)

You crack me up :lol:

• I Donated
Maybe I'll sell all the parts on the shelf and buy a miata or an s2000. That would be fun...

You need to do this, it will change your life. if you like power, s2k is you. if you like handling and bang for buck fun, 99 miata is your drug.

Don't know that it would really "change my life" :lol: I might go for an s2000 someday, but holy hell even the older ones seem expensive as hell.

Having driven both and owning a Miata I can say that I'm my experience I find the Miata more fun to drive.

So is now the time to call dibs on the prodrive bicycle cans ?

I'm next in line!

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• I Donated
In all reality, if you have good pads and swap to a BBK with similar pads your stopping distances can actually increase because of the increase in rotational mass.

This may not entirely be true. Keep in mind that the BBK has a greater pad surface area as well, and thus greater friction to make up for the increased inertia. In the end, as you saw at the autocross, I'm able to lock up my wheels pretty easily with Hawk HP+ on stock LGT brakes, so tires are going to be the limiting factor unless you have R-comps, but a BBK is unlikely to have worse performance, all other factors being equal.

So is now the time to call dibs on the prodrive bicycle cans ?

I'm next in line!

Y'all are too late. I called dibs as soon as I found out BMB was buying them. :lol:

I'm now taking dibs for when I sell them. :lol::lol::lol: Mostly joking, though...

This may not entirely be true. Keep in mind that the BBK has a greater pad surface area as well, and thus greater friction to make up for the increased inertia. In the end, as you saw at the autocross, I'm able to lock up my wheels pretty easily with Hawk HP+ on stock LGT brakes, so tires are going to be the limiting factor unless you have R-comps, but a BBK is unlikely to have worse performance, all other factors being equal.

I ran Hawk DCT60/70 on stock LGT calipers with Centric blank rotors with slicks (actual race tires - treadwear=40). I never locked up, even when doing a panic braking from 130 to 30 to avoid another car. I'm not sure a BBK would have made much difference, as I was coming into the pits with the rotors burning up at 1300 degrees. Ducting to the rotors & calipers would have made more difference than a BBK.

If you are looking for better braking, a BBK is the last thing to upgrade rather than the first.

If you are looking for "street cred", then any track (or autox) based advice is actually useless.

• I Donated
I ran Hawk DCT60/70 on stock LGT calipers with Centric blank rotors with slicks (actual race tires - treadwear=40). I never locked up, even when doing a panic braking from 130 to 30 to avoid another car. I'm not sure a BBK would have made much difference, as I was coming into the pits with the rotors burning up at 1300 degrees. Ducting to the rotors & calipers would have made more difference than a BBK.

If you are looking for better braking, a BBK is the last thing to upgrade rather than the first.

If you are looking for "street cred", then any track (or autox) based advice is actually useless.

Didn't say a BBK was necessary... just that it doesn't decrease performance. ;)

Didn't say a BBK was necessary... just that it doesn't decrease performance. ;)

Depends on usage. For street, it increases perceived performance. For track, unless combined with other upgrades, it adds weight in the wrong place without increasing performance. However, this being BMB's build thread, this is a pointless tangent. :)

On his car, a BBK is a great solution. The more outrageous, the better. :wub:

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure I saw a braking test at one point that had numbers for pre and post brembo swap, and the brembos were slower to stop by a handful of feet. Too lazy to search for it though.

Either way, like I said I'm happy with the bling factor, love the pedal feel, and the current setup is certainly a huge upgrade from my stock bits :)

• Moderators

• Moderators
Did u have the exhaust side ported also? What did it cost

The wastegate is ported, yes. Send a message to Ruben socalporting@gmail.com. Standard porting includes the following for $100:

• Inlet of the turbo hot side

• Outlet of the turbo hot side

• Inlet of the turbo cold side

• Outlet of the turbo cold side

• On certain turbo’s I.e. VF series turbo’s we port the waste gate entrance to eliminate boost creep

• Free thermal coating on the exhaust side to prevent rust

Ruben has been very good with communication the entire time and a pleasure to do business with.

Also be aware that the included "free" thermal coating is a VHT product, and he highly recommends doing the true ceramic coating which is an additional $30. My new 11-blade extended tip billet compressor wheel may arrive to him today or Monday, and then I'll have some pics to share as well once he gets it all balanced and put back together :)

He's great to work with and I recommend them as well!

He never really pushed the techline coating with me at all :iam:

Standard VHT is fine with me anyway, if I have heat issues I'll jsut cut louvres in my hood :hide:

I like your style! Hood louvres FTMFW! :lol:

My turbo should be happy when it's done, especially snuggled up in a PTP blanket, with the DEI lined heat shield. Since I've got no intentions of going FMIC - keeping as much heat away from the TMIC is my goal.

Archived