LegacyGT.com

Custom-made Sport Grill: S402 Replica Walkthrough ('05-'07 Legacy)

nospmoht04

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With all the R&D effort put into this grille, has the pricing changed? If so, could you please update the breakdown?

ie. recessed price (customer supplies grille)

recessed price (seller supplies grille)

S402-style grille (customer supplies grille)

S402-style grille (seller supplies grille)

Thanks!

You're looking at:

Recessed Style

Full price: $175

With grill trade-in: $120

S402 Style

Full price: $245+$44 for emblem = $289

With grill trade-in: $234 (includes emblem)

The S402 style has to include an emblem since the insert I'm using has a mounting spot built in. The emblem is a brand new '08+ oem Subaru emblem.

The prices do not include shipping which has been between $10.40 and $12.00 USPS so far.

I will update all of this with a bunch of pictures on page 1 of the thread once the S402 style is done which will be by the end of the week.

Edited by nospmoht04

Looks great! In for a flush fitment honeycomb style. I know I'm likely far down on the list so I'll be patient. :lol:

Thanks bud, it's been fun but a lot of work figuring out how to blend it nice. Once I get the process down and have a routine things will speed up, but until then there's a lot of fine tuning.

The suspense of the finished product is killing me lol. Every day I look at my car, I try to picture the honeycomb grill there instead! lol

Hah it does look good. I'm putting a ton of effort into making it happen for ya. All in time!

By the way I did call a tool and die place in NH that makes molds for smaller parts. He said they didn't do parts as large as I was asking about and referred me to another place nearby but did say I was looking at something like $75k+ for a mold that big. Seems pretty outrageous and I'd like to think he's way off but I'll have to check out some other shops.

What's up guys, I figured it was time for an update. I'll start by saying the girlfriend brought the hammer down a bit on working on the grill during the little time I've had off but I'm going to have a few full weekends off starting now so that really opens things up finally. This thing is about 90% done and really shouldn't be much longer. All that's left is smoothing out some spots and a bit more primer, then paint. I learned a ton about what and what not to do on the next one and it'll go much smoother. I've got a few ways to have the adhesive go on and harden more clean so I'm not spending so much time filing and sanding it out. You gotta figure you can see all the places it attaches so it needs to look clean all over. I'm also going with no lip. I had a few seals and rubber strips that I tried but I don't think it's worth the gamble hoping it stays adhered to the front of the grill and look good on the edges. It'd ruin the grill if it started to come off. Once I decided to go without it I had to put some more time into cleaning up where the lip would have covered. I'm going to make a few tweaks tonight and then get a final coat of primer on it tomorrow morning. Once that dries I'll get up a couple pics. Need to wait at least 24 hours after priming to start paint and I may add a few coats of clearcoat for protection so it'll be a few days of paint and clear till its done, but it's gettin there.

I'd like to give some better news other than reasons why it's not done but I guess it's all part of designing it. I'll be in touch.

IMO it will look better w/o the black gasket running around the grill. I know it's more time consuming because of all the fit and finish but, to me, it's worth the extra time and money that is necessary.

IMO it will look better w/o the black gasket running around the grill. I know it's more time consuming because of all the fit and finish but, to me, it's worth the extra time and money that is necessary.

Yeah I think you're right. Anything I put there will look added. The JDM grill has the lip since its all molded together, if I added one it'd be sitting on top of the outer lip of the grill. Will have to see how it comes out and can always make changes later if it needs it.

just have to wait till the primer cures and sand it for paint, paint goes on and that's all thats left. Nearing the end finally.

wow!!:)

Just have to wait till the primer cures and sand it for paint, paint goes on and that's all thats left. Nearing the end finally.
Looking fantastic! Can't wait to rock this new grill. Already got a matching emblem overlay and new clips all around for this bad boy :cool:

Just curious, how would this otherwise lovely grill look painted to matched to my GRP car?

That's a preference thing I guess but are you talking the entire honeycomb portion color matched? I'm not sure how that'd look. If you just mean the outer portion of the grill color matched I don't think I could do that since the honeycomb attaches and blends right to it.