LegacyGT.com

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know our Matco guy usually has some decent prices on used/repo'd boxes. Don't think our snap on guy really ever has any. But in reality I rarely talk to him since he's a pissed off old man haha. I ended up gettin my box locally off eBay from a guy who said his work bought everyone new boxes. I'd like to find out where he works haha.

• 4 weeks later...

My boxes. I need to start picking up some Subaru specific tools for an upcoming timing belt job on my wagon.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn151/cal71919/20130403_200459_zps9b86144b.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn151/cal71919/20130403_200338_zpsbb0fff1a.jpg

My Kennedy machinist top/bottom box set just isn't cut out for mechanics tools, so I'm going to check out this one at Harbor Freight, as recommended by 08Legacy08. Apparently the design patent on the Snap-On box expired so U.S. General started making their own version and it is widely reviewed as near identical to the much more expensive Snap-On unit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_20270.jpg

• Moderators
That's exactly why I'm going to check it out in person. Plus, I don't want to pay freight on that sucker.

If it does look good I might buy two!

Interested in what you think. I desperately need something similar to really get organized--I'm constantly looking for tools that used just the day prior--really annoying! :spin:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Interested in what you think. I desperately need something similar to really get organized--I'm constantly looking for tools that used just the day prior--really annoying! :spin:

Best is when you have 3 of the same size socket, and you can't find a single one :unamused:

Even after I get the new tool box I will probably keep my sockets like this. Not quite visible in the pic, but all "like" sizes get wrapped in colored electrical tape for easy identification. For example, 14mm are all wrapped in white tape.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1825/socketsr.jpg

I used to have one of those us generals. The exact box pictured. The quality was nowhere near my snap on box whatsoever. It was built very cheap and made with very thin metal. The lock on it was a joke, same with the shallow deph of the drawers.

I guess if you need a box just to hold tools then it'll do the job.

I have no control over drippie.

If you rather not spend high dollar on a tool box. A cheap harbor freight alternative will do just fine. I intend to keep mine for a long time so I invested in a nice sturdy box. You will always need tools no matter what. Pay once cry once? :lol:
I have no control over drippie.

Exactly the policy I usually go by, although paying 10x for a heavier box does not seem like a good value. If the quality is adequate then the money saved can be spent on higher quality tools, the things that I use to actually make a living. If the quality isn't there then I won't waste my money. :)

the harbor freight is nice for the price. imo snap-on is better, but it also costs several times as much. search online for a coupon. i think you can get one for $349 or so now. the hf 56" box is good, too. i was going to get one before running across a deal on a used snap-on box.

box.jpg.b2596eb832b758c0692dca5dc706c26b.jpg

I want a good box, but I just can't justify thousands of dollars for a place to put tools. :(

After reading that I for some reason heard jeff foxworthy in my head saying "you might be a redneck if your tool box costs more than your tools"

Obviously I want a massive one anyway

Archived