LegacyGT.com

Official LGT famaya26 Help Thread - Vol. I

sigmafour

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated Too
Welcome! Tonight we are learning Fidel that you can drill holes in your engine components to improve their longevity and performance. In fact the sieve is the fastest and most reliable kitchen utensil because of this very procedure. True fact.

Welcome! Tonight we are learning Fidel that you can drill holes in your engine components to improve their longevity and performance. In fact Steven is most reliably the biggest tool because of this very procedure. True fact.

Fixed. I heard he gets cross drilled regularly.

• I Donated Too

Cross drilling a crank refers to there being a single hole that passes all the way across the main journal forming 2 openings 180 degrees apart both feeding a galley drilled from the rod which intersects at the center of that cross drill. The term has been in use since the 1950's for that design. The "newer" cranks are now cross drilled with 2 passages. The term cross drilling has nothing to do with the X pattern formed by the two holes.

These are simply double drilled cranks. The design still has the limitation of being forced to fight centrifugal force to get the oil into the center of the journal before it can get to the rod. By providing 4 passage openings to the main bearing it will also increase oil loss from the main bearing so oil pump volume flow will need to be higher to maintain the same oil pressure in all likelyhood.

There are specially designed crank drillings that do not pass all the way through the crank journal and do not force the oil to go all the way to the center of the main journal to get to the oil feed galley to the rod bearing. The drill the passage from the rod to the main at a diagonal that breaks out of the main journal at its surface or very near it to another highly angled drill passage coming in from the main. This sort of drilling is used in many domestic V-8 engines to allow them to live at high rpms. In the journal sizes common for domestic V-8's the cross drilled pattern begins to fail at about 8,000 rpm give or take a bit.

This thread is BS. It's a stupid chat thread.

PM me to unlock it with an explanation as to why some member gets some special thread in his name- but it doesn't do anywhere.

Archived