LegacyGT.com

Connor's '05 LGT Wagon

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The way I see it, everything that can be replaced has been, so I shouldn't have to worry about maintenance in a while. In the last month and a half I have done...

-Water pump

-Thermostat

-Timing belt

-Timing belt tensioner & idler pulleys

-Radiator hoses

-Spark plugs

-Replaced a coil pack

-Replaced 2 bad injectors

-Front and rear brakes

-Alternator

-Turboback Exhaust

-Intercooler (should arrive tomorrow)

-Resealed my passenger side headlight

-New throttle body inlet hose

Once I get my intercooler on I may go ahead and order a forge BPV and Samco hose for it, I doubt I'll really need it with my stock turbo @ 17 psi, but why not. Then I can go back to saving my money for Brembos instead of on repairing the car..

'03 Forester X 5mt - Engine Seized at 262k miles.

'05 LGT Wagon 6mt -MotoIQ.com Project Vehicle

'13 VW Touareg TDI - Daily Torque Monster.

Woah, talk about a small world... knew the name sounded familiar but it didn't click until you mentioned you wrote for MotoIQ.

Love your (and everyone elses!) articles man. Came for the project 300ZX TT back when I had one, stayed for the the everything else. Is Mike as awesome as he seems?

Most of those guys are on the West coast, or have known each other for years. But there are a few of us elsewhere, Wes and I are the only midwest contributors as far as I know, and I think there are a couple guys in Japan?

Been waiting for my new intercooler to show up for a week now, when I checked the tracking number it said it would be delivered today. I was out and about running errands but stopped by the house to see if there was a package. UPS comes along right after I pull into the driveway, I hop out and wait for him. He drives right past to about two houses down, BUMMER! I start to get back in my car to continue running errands and I hear him yell "Wait! Wait! I got your car parts man! Don't leave!"

Turns out he has a 2011 WRX, recognized the logo on the box and knew it must have been for my car. We shot the shit for a little bit then he went on his way.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/9466305313_6607cd12d4_b.jpg

My stock intercooler has been in need of replacement since I got the car, but since it wasn't leaking (at first) I had been postponing spending the money on an upgrade. Well finally it started leaking when the plastic hotside endtank began separating from the core so I've been limping it around and staying out of boost for a few weeks now (24.3 MPGs FTW!). I checked out what was available for aftermarket top mount intercoolers as I didn't really want to deal with switching to a front mount, and I don't plan on doing anything real crazy with the car down the road (just a 20G turbo, E85, and 1000cc injectors). There are some real nice top mounts available from Spearco and Process West, but after reading some reviews they seemed to overkill for my needs, as well as the cost would be comparable to a quality front mount with less of the performance. I was pretty indecisive about either the Perrin or the AVO intercoolers, as both had positive reviews, and I was initially scared away from the Perrin as some had complained of fitment issues, contact with the clutch master cylinder reservoir, and the vibrations from these contact issues creating false knock with the ECU.

Well I stumbled onto a good deal on a BNIB Perrin on eBay that was being sold from an outlet that was dubbed as "garage sale quality" by Perrin. Apparently it was an item that had a cosmetic defect that didn't pass their normal quality control for "new" items but it still functioned perfectly. I did some more research and found the core dimensions for the AVO and Perrin as compared to stock. The AVO unit is 150.25% larger than stock, while the Perrin is 186.81% larger. I decided to bite the bullet on the Perrin as it was $70 less than the best quote I'd gotten, and $15 less than the AVO.

So I quickly yanked out the junk stocker and put in the Perrin today. With the stock unit, both end tanks would be hot to the touch after a spirited drive, with the Perrin the "hot side" is only slightly warm and the cold side feels like ambient.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5476/9469085826_3c44dcfe2c_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7401/9466306495_4f74d92d19_b.jpg

I had no issues installing the new intercooler, everything fit great and there were no fitment issues at all. Next up is a Forge bypass valve as my stock unit is at the limit. I really need to get a new tune at this point...

I really need to get a new tune at this point...

This is all I've been thinking reading this whole thread.

I'd recommend trimming the plastic on the inside of your hood scoop. With my Perrin TMIC, when the hood is closed, the plastic on the inside of the scoop sits right on a row of cooling fins and over the past two years the fins have gotten bent on the intercooler. The damage is already done on mine but if you trimmed back the plastic it would prevent the damage.

I'll check the clearance today, thanks. Just ordered a Forge BPV and one of the VAGCOM cables off Amazon, shot a PM to Infamous for an etune as well. Gonna try and not have any WOT fun til I hear back from him.

VAG COM cable showed up yesterday, can't get it to work for the life of me. Just gonna suck it up and get the Tactrix.

Had this guy show up today and threw it on quick, tried out the yellow spring (medium) first and it seemed fine. Switched out for the blue spring (soft) and it got a little quieter but still held boost without issue.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7350/9510952973_ff98c70a67_b.jpg

Washed it for the first time in a week or two, it needed it.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3813/9513738950_6c38e69e80_b.jpg

I was very happy to see the paint was still looking good, its been about 6 months since I've polished the whole car and I can be a little negligent with my washing procedure. I'm sure part of this is due to the OptiCoat Pro holding up so well.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3819/9510947037_129d830843_b.jpg

Cleaned up the engine bay a little bit too while I was at it.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3791/9513741300_07ff5127fb_b.jpg

Next project is to try and make a cold air box for the intake while I'm waiting for a certain JermTheElf to holla at a brotha about a 3D printed gauge pod.

Tactrix Cable shows up today, I'll just post a log and see what you guys think.

Also should have my new O2 sensor in on Friday along with a GS 3-port EBCS, then its tune time from Shamarr.

• 3 weeks later...

Moved into a new apartment last week so I don't have to park my wagon on the street anymore!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/9687320511_a42e7107b0_b.jpg

Unfortunately I had to park it outside the first couple of nights before I got my parking pass, and I didn't notice the sprinkler system right in front of the car. Hard water spots everywhere...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/9687325671_9c7a3b19d5_b.jpg

And thats after it was washed.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna dyno the wagon again this afternoon, any guesses on the numbers?

Invidia Q300

CNT catted 3" DP

GS catless UP

Perrin afta-maf intake w/ K&N filter

GS EBCS

Perrin TMIC

Forge BPV

Infamous eTune for 17.8psi

I was trying to compare the graphs of 'then' and 'now', but apparently the smoothing factor was turned up to '99' last time, whereas it was set at '6' this time. Curves are roughly the same, but obviously the new one is much more noisy.

Dumb.

I wish my rbp paint looked like that. I need to figure out how to properly use this porter cable buffer.

I've got the same wagon and have been able to fix up the paint reasonably well with a Porter Cable 7424xp. I am just a hobbiest and am not at the level as the author, but have been pleased in what you can do with off the shelf product and the Dual Action polisher. I spent several hours just reading at Autogeek, Autopia, detailers Image, and Meguiars forums to start understanding the issues.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2834/9598038235_30f059c983_c.jpg

Subies are known for soft clearcoats. What that means is it is relatively easy to fix up the clear coat but also just as easy to scratch it up during washes in quick detailing.

On the polisher, I got an after market 5" backing plate and use 5.5" pads. Right now I've got Orange, White, and Black hex logic pads but want to try some Lake county and the Meguiars micro fiber pad system. Also I want to try a light cut burgandy pad for the last polishing step.

There are so many products out there and lots of hype around them it is crazy. I try to use bang-for-the-buck stuff and like Meguiars stuff.

A typical process is wash with good soap or Optimum no rinse. dry.

If it hasn't been clayed I'll use clay bar lubricated with quick detailer.

Then Meguiars Ultimate compound with the orange pad at speed 5.5. I love ultimate compound. It is affordable and works well but the speed has to be higher and pressure at 10lbs and even. Work in small sections (2'x2') and don't work it too long. Clean the pad regularly.

UC leaves a slight haze, so then I go to Ultimate polish with white pad. Ultimate polish is harder to use. It is finicky when wiping off and sometimes it seems really hard. a towel damp with quick detailer helps. I use speed 4 and have to be real careful of working it too long or trying to do too big an area.

Right now I seal with Duragloss 111. And after it hazes I'll wipe it off with Duragloss Aquawax These two produce a plasticy wet look. It's nice but I want to go back to more wax look. Some say Duragloss 105 has a softer look. I might try Meguiars #21 sealant, and gold class wax

I am also going to try ColorX for every other week maintenance. It is less aggressive then the ultimate polish and is safer to use.

The idea is that once you do this level of correction, you "shouldn't" have to do it again. The reality is that just looking at our cars causes swirls. A big thing is to learn a good process for washing.

The anal detailer guys have thought about this a lot. And it makes sense after doing all that work to polish the clear coat that just going to the car wash or not thinking about how you wash it will undo all that effort.

Look up things like the 2 bucket method, grit guards,... and see how and why they suggest this system.

The other thing is to be fanatical about the micro fiber towels used that touch the paint. Store them separate, wash them separate, throw them out if they have any grit in them. The final tip is to not hit it with quick detail spray every day. Every time you touch it there is chance to scratch the soft subie clear coat.

Edited by ashwinearl