LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated
I'm not fix on that number I just would like to be in the 400s

I'm not really trying to spend over 1,300 on a turbo, so what power should I expect out of the 20G

As Surly notes, 400s is still a number. Why are you fixated on it? Did you read the link? It says how much you should expect to get from a 20G...

As Surly notes, 400s is still a number. Why are you fixated on it? Did you read the link? It says how much you should expect to get from a 20G...

Just got down reading the first post was reading during moonshiner commercial haha. I'm not fix to a number more fix on building a car that can handle a V8.

Mustangs are all over the board. It means nothing to beat one or get beaten by one IMO.

I don't spend any effort trying to out knuckle-drag the local knuckle-draggers. They have a lot more experience at being douchey than I do. I'd basically be setting myself up for failure, even if I "win".

Your fine with 850cc Dale. 750cc are fine on pump, but you will be tapering on e-85. If wanting to buy injectors once and not keep swapping, get the 850cc now. Going to 1000cc would be the "overkill" point.

Personal experience on the 68HTA and 750cc. When I went e-85, I needed bigger.

Looking to replace my 18g. 68HTA 8cm for forester 09 ok ? currently switching 3 e85 and 1 petrol fuel. On 1000cc ID, looking for turbo thats ok for petrol and e85.

So realistically.... What is going to be the approximate difference between the 16G and 18G (in current form) w/ supporting mods? 300whp vs 330ish (and later spool)

I'm worried about going with the 16g and wanting more in a short period... I've decided to go with all supporting fuel mods regardless. On that note. ID 725's or 850's?

I'm going to try to start and peice all this stuff together for early summer. (hopefully)

BNR EVO3 16G arrived today thanks Bryan. Very well packaged, looks great! Instal booked for 7th March, dyno tune on the 9th, can't wait to drive this thing :)

http://beanstalk.com.au/personal/photos/FXT/20130225_BNR16G_Arrives.jpg

I want to obtain 450+ hp

I'm not really trying to spend over 1,300 on a turbo,

Just got down reading the first post was reading during moonshiner commercial haha. I'm not fix to a number more fix on building a car that can handle a V8.

I want to date a supermodel.

Although, I'm not totally fix on it.

Edited by KCwagon

• 2 weeks later...

16g is nice low, mid and high (with injectors). There's no "slingshot" turbo feeling, if that's what your looking for , go for the 18g or larger. My 16g makes more power than the vf40 did through out it's whole range. Still plan on a clutch either way. I can "get by" on the stock clutch, but it won't hold the 16g/infamous1 tune if I really push it.

16g: upgrade your fuel pump and tune is easier with out injectors. Saves some money and is better than stock power wise.

18g: Was the "go to" daily upgrade for the power hungry. Injectors, clutch expected.

HTA 68: Better choice for most over 18g if your doing all the mods anyway.

20g (or larger). I need to make xxx whp, need xx.xx 1/4 mile time. (Not saying there is not a place for this setup, just that plan on internal engine mods and 6spd trans to be reliable.)

So in my mind the choice now is really between 16g and HTA68. Let your budget tell you which is right for your situation.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

20g (or larger). I need to make xxx whp, need xx.xx 1/4 mile time. (Not saying there is not a place for this setup, just that plan on internal engine mods and 6spd trans to be reliable.)

Or get a 5th gen. My 20G is on order with BNR now. :)

• I Donated
16g is nice low, mid and high (with injectors). There's no "slingshot" turbo feeling

Disagree. The 16G definitely pushed me back in my seat when I had it on my 05.

Or get a 5th gen. My 20G is on order with BNR now. :)

You do realize that engine internals are roughly the same and that the 5th-gen 6MT is just a 4th-gen 5MT with an extra gear (not the STI 6MT), right? You're going to have the exact same potential for reliability problems on your 5th gen that someone would have if they put a 20G on a 4th gen.

You do realize that engine internals are roughly the same and that the 5th-gen 6MT is just a 4th-gen 5MT with an extra gear (not the STI 6MT), right? You're going to have the exact same potential for reliability problems on your 5th gen that someone would have if they put a 20G on a 4th gen.

I'm not familiar with the tranny that's in the 4th gen but my understanding is the 5th gen tranny is actually out of a WRX with a 6th gear crammed in. I'm not saying there won't be reliability problems but we won't know till someone tries. So far there are only 2 know 20G 5th gens and neither of them have exploded (at least that the owners have admitted). The only documented 5th gen engine failure is from someone running E85. It will be interesting to see how things like dual AVCS and the bottom mount turbo affect reliability and driveability.

• I Donated
I'm not familiar with the tranny that's in the 4th gen but my understanding is the 5th gen tranny is actually out of a WRX with a 6th gear crammed in. I'm not saying there won't be reliability problems but we won't know till someone tries. So far there are only 2 know 20G 5th gens and neither of them have exploded (at least that the owners have admitted). The only documented 5th gen engine failure is from someone running E85. It will be interesting to see how things like dual AVCS and the bottom mount turbo affect reliability and driveability.

The 4th gen and 08+ WRX 5MTs are identical. Dual AVCS is shared with the STI, which, guess what, also has ringland problems. A good E85 tune is less likely to cause a failure than a pump-gas 20G tune, because most failures are caused by knock, and E85 does not knock (hardly ever, at least), and pump gas on high boost does. Sounds like the E85 guy (Surly, right?) had a bad tune and/or just got unlucky.

Disagree. The 16G definitely pushed me back in my seat when I had it on my 05.

I didn't say it was gutless.. Just there is no "turbo rubberband" feeling. I get power pretty much instantly throughout the rpm range. (sure it's strongest from 3k-6k) Some people like the wind-up and wham "turbo" feeling. If that's the case, maybe the tune could be altered with a 16g to achieve that, but your probably better off going for a bigger turbo in that case. Sorry if I was not clear enough in my last post.

Edited by 05LGTLtd
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...