LegacyGT.com

Hood Scoop "Plug"?

taylormac1993

I recently took out the bottom metal plate that restricted airflow through the scoop in my 98 Legacy Outback. It's awesome and it runs the same, but I'd like to know if there's any kind of hood scoop "plug" or "cover" that I can put in/over it while it's parked or snowing/raining. As of now I'm prepared to tape plastic wrap over it, but I don't want to look like an idiot.

Help me not look like an idiot guys. :lol:

On a very related note, what's the best way to attach wire mesh behind the scoop? Screws will poke through and glue is too permanent.

Why do you need airflow through the scoop, and why do you think water is going to hurt anything?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Why do you need airflow through the scoop, and why do you think water is going to hurt anything?

I dont and it's not. I just want a plug for good measure. Can I do that? Do I have your permission? lol

Alternatively I just want mesh to keep leaves and shit from flying in there. Any kind of info?

Why not just reinstall the metal plate? That'd keep snow and water out.

If you are hell bent on wasting your time, you could always drill a bunch of holes in that plate to keep "leaves and shit" from flying in there.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I have a wrx swapped legacy, my hood scoop is open and I do not have a splitter that directs air over my intercooler :(.

So I actually need air flow into the scoop where as for N/A purposes you do not. But I have driven througe rain for 4+ hours with no problem,heavy snowstorms aswell and I and when brushing the car off a little bit of snow has gone into the hood scoop...

I haven't had any problems I am sure it's usually melted off by the time I shut the car down

why did you create a design flaw in the system?

because grocery getter?

Why not just reinstall the metal plate? That'd keep snow and water out.

If you are hell bent on wasting your time, you could always drill a bunch of holes in that plate to keep "leaves and shit" from flying in there.

You guys sure are a friendly bunch. It's my car and I'll do what I want to it. I know how everyone feels about this mod and I really don't care. Now, do any of you have info on where I can get a plug for my scoop?

I have a wrx swapped legacy, my hood scoop is open and I do not have a splitter that directs air over my intercooler :(.

So I actually need air flow into the scoop where as for N/A purposes you do not. But I have driven througe rain for 4+ hours with no problem,heavy snowstorms aswell and I and when brushing the car off a little bit of snow has gone into the hood scoop...

I haven't had any problems I am sure it's usually melted off by the time I shut the car down

Well it hasn't really been snowing here lately. It's been in the 50s for two weeks so I'm not in a rush to get one. Just thought it'd be nice to have if I really needed it. It'd make brushing off my hood after a night of snow much easier.

I gave you two options that solve your problem.

The stock metal plate will keep rain and snow out of the scoop. It's free.

Holes drilled in the metal plate will keep "leaves and shit" from flying into the engine bay. That's almost free.

I gave you two options that solve your problem.

The stock metal plate will keep rain and snow out of the scoop. It's free.

Holes drilled in the metal plate will keep "leaves and shit" from flying into the engine bay. That's almost free.

My problem is that I can't find a hood scoop plug or cover.

cover your hood scoop In masking tape and use fiberglass to make one, take you less than an hour let it set and spray paint it the color of your car? use lots of tape and newspaper to ensure you don't get any fiberglass resin on your hood.

Hi Taylormac, I don't think anybody makes a pre made plug or cover for the hood scoop. You are looking for something to kinda wedge in the front of the hood scoop from the outside of the car right?

Exactly. Preferably something that will fit nicely and not look tacky. But as of now anything will do because I can't find anything...

cover your hood scoop In masking tape and use fiberglass to make one, take you less than an hour let it set and spray paint it the color of your car? use lots of tape and newspaper to ensure you don't get any fiberglass resin on your hood.

I was thinking about pouring some expanding foam into another scoop and just cutting the foam after it sets up. Problem is you can't spray paint styrofoam lol

Ideally something made out of rubber would be good that is shaped like a slice of cheese with a handle on the front of it so you can pust it in and it will firmly seal the gap, and the small handle is on the front so you could pull it out. Not joking bust something made out of the same rubber as a toilet plunger... know what I mean? Then it will kinda look like the covers over a fighter jet engine or something lol, not tacky but cool looking... even stamp on it ( remove before flight ) anyways thats an idea.

... maybe you can find a block of rubber like that and carve it to make a wedge

Ideally something made out of rubber would be good that is shaped like a slice of cheese with a handle on the front of it so you can pust it in and it will firmly seal the gap, and the small handle is on the front so you could pull it out. Not joking bust something made out of the same rubber as a toilet plunger... know what I mean? Then it will kinda look like the covers over a fighter jet engine or something lol, not tacky but cool looking... even stamp on it ( remove before flight ) anyways thats an idea.

... maybe you can find a block of rubber like that and carve it to make a wedge

Haha that's pretty creative. I might consider it

Something cheap and can do on your own you know?

It was an idea that just popped into my head, but as far as sealing, rubber is the best... besides, its what they use to seal the rest of the car ( windows, doors, etc... )

Good luck!

I was thinking about pouring some expanding foam into another scoop and just cutting the foam after it sets up. Problem is you can't spray paint styrofoam lol

you could use like Clay or puddy or anything really.. haha but the fiberglass would give the best finish.. I had actually thought about shoving a towel in my scoop to keep the rain and stuff out when its parked but I don't think it will do anything but rust my intercooler a little quicker, In which case Im on the look for a STI tmic and I just offered 100 bucks on a forester Xt scoop / divider so I can get the air that was intended to the intercooler. and not just in the scoop

Archived