LegacyGT.com

New CA Smog OBDII Info Thread

Diavolo

Technically a different IC is legal, however pretty much every smog tech will fail you for it. An aftermarket IC that maintains all stock connections and doesn't change the piping is technically legal.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Unless they changed the rules about aftermarket IC in the last 6 months, they are legal. At the end of last year i went to about 5 different smog shops and asked to do a visual before i paid any money, It seemed that the 2 shops that know the rules the best had no problem with the FMIC. One of the shops even printed me a copy of the page where it said they were legal. although they didnt like the BOV or the boost 3 port EBC. i talked to the shops about the new laws and it seemed they really didnt know what the new tests were going to check. I asked if they would be able to tell if the car had a tune and one of the guys said, it will for sure know, even now it will tell if there is a tune. when i heard him say that i kinda laughed inside considering i just easily passed with a stage 3 tune.

This info isnt really helpful for the new laws but i thought i would share anyways...

Technically, ANY IC is legal provided that you are using the OE turbo. See page G-7, http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfdocs/APPENDIX%20G%20final%2012-2009.pdf

I haven't failed yet by two different smog shops and one actually took off the engine cover and actually looked around. :eek:

This. Word has gotten around re: intercoolers and basically always being legal on a turbo car, it seems.

What I read there was a bunch of disclaimers and open verbage to be intrurpreted based on perspective...

Did you receive an off road only warning with your product? Most will say yes.

If the part is not CARB approved it's going to get the Off Road Only classification.

That some are passing with after maket IC??? All depends on the tech how he inturpreted the "rules". I say good for you. But others YMMV.

I just passed with an AVO TMIC

They shouldn't bother you for any intercooler change, it's not part of emission

But the bypass valve is.

And if you don't have the stock one, in the correct location well then that may be an issue.

I have to smog sometime in the next couple weeks.

What I read there was a bunch of disclaimers and open verbage to be intrurpreted based on perspective...

Did you receive an off road only warning with your product? Most will say yes.

If the part is not CARB approved it's going to get the Off Road Only classification.

That some are passing with after maket IC??? All depends on the tech how he inturpreted the "rules". I say good for you. But others YMMV.

You don't get that with any IC.

Also, there is no rules interpretation. Intercoolers on gasoline powered OEM turbo cars are free. It may get your car a closer look from a picky tech (who may notice other things), but no one is failing you for an IC. And if they do, make them get out the book.

Passed smog yesterday :)

Mods during smog:

EQ Stage 2 Protune.

Manual boost Controller

Invidia uppipe with EGT delete.

Invidia Catback.

K&N drop in filter

Just swapped out the downpipe and it was good to go!

Thanks guys.

I was about to retune and put a resistor in the EGT sensor, but guess we didn't need to this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to bump this up again since I just got my Smog renewal. Due in August and I am stage 2 with a catted Perrin DP. Everything else is stock.

Has anyone done the new test with a catted DP? Should I reinstall stock DP and flash stock tune? I think I have my stock DP somewhere...

People have passed the sniffer with a catted DP without issue.

Passing the visual is down to how hard they look.

I swap my stock on, but don't reflash (no need if you're only driving a couple of miles, and no need to deal with readiness codes) to avoid the potential drama.

People have passed the sniffer with a catted DP without issue.

Passing the visual is down to how hard they look.

I swap my stock on, but don't reflash (no need if you're only driving a couple of miles, and no need to deal with readiness codes) to avoid the potential drama.

Is the sniffer test still being done or are they doing this OBDII test now?

I'll just take it to a local shop that I hear is more lenient and see what happens. If I have to swap the DP, I'll do that and retest.

Is the sniffer test still being done or are they doing this OBDII test now?

I'll just take it to a local shop that I hear is more lenient and see what happens. If I have to swap the DP, I'll do that and retest.

yes they do sniffer still as of a month ago

Sort of... If you go to a STAR test location and they complete the inspection using the new requirements there is no sniffer. That being said for now the old Smog check II is still being performed and those have a sniffer test.

If you can't pass a sniff, because of no cats, you would likely fail the STAR test too. There is still a visual component of the new test.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

So I have a 05 lgt with an grimmspeed up pipe invidia down pipe and a stage 2 cobb tune on my car right now. I'll be moving from Pa to Ca in september. Right now I'm trying to sell the car because I have 133k on it and although it's been reliable cars don't last forever and I won't know any reputable shops. Ive always done everything myself and if something were to happen as far as repairs it would pain me to have someone fix something I know I could do myself. What's your guys opinion on taking it out there without touching anything and finding someone that will pass the smog if I do end up not selling it and having to take it with me? I have the stock down pipe but I don't believe I have the up pipe any more. If I change the down pipe back would I be given shit for the up pipe? Sorry for the ramblings I just am torn between selling my baby because of higher miles and the dreaded smog test or saying screw it gambling and taking it out there.

How many Cali owners know that if their car is registered in a non-smog county, they do not need to do this every 2 years?

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!