LegacyGT.com

New CA Smog OBDII Info Thread

Diavolo

Just remember the two elements. 1 no codes. 2 visual.

Tucking away would not be CARB approved. Leaving connected who is to say the butterfly is not connected any longer. Tech isn't going to tear into your car that far to see.

Oh, you're saying the modified, butterfly-less TGVs (kinda deletes) would be fine. At first I thought you meant the deletes.

That's my thought. Ive got JDM deletes in right now. Modified my USDM TGV's to be deletes with the bar still in thinking I can sell them to someone that wants deletes but doesn't want to worry about passing smog.

You might have a customer.

<----

Just remember the two elements. 1 no codes. 2 visual.

Tucking away would not be CARB approved. Leaving connected who is to say the butterfly is not connected any longer. Tech isn't going to tear into your car that far to see.

Yep Everything needs to look like it's visually in place.

so you can pass smog with a cobb tune?
Stage 1 yes, stage 2 you'd likely fail visual.

Oh, you're saying the modified, butterfly-less TGVs (kinda deletes) would be fine. At first I thought you meant the deletes

Yes that should pass visual the other option is to cut the rod so it doesn't go into the TGV housings but still looks like it's attached.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Yep Everything needs to look like it's visually in place.

Stage 1 yes, stage 2 you'd likely fail visual.

Yes that should pass visual the other option is to cut the rod so it doesn't go into the TGV housings but still looks like it's attached.

You can leave your stage 2 tune in place, just don't hit boost with the OEM DP though.

That's currently my plan. Hoping it passes. I'll know in June.

Edited by Rhitter

• 1 month later...
You can leave your stage 2 tune in place, just don't hit post with the OEM DP though.

That's currently my plan. Hoping it passes. I'll know in June.

i'm due again about that time too.

you'll pass :)

i passed that way (left the stage 2 pro-tune on, swapped down pipe) last time and it was a sniffer test then.

it came up a little dirtier than the previous smog but still passed.

one of my buddies passed the current OBD test a little while back with a cobb catted downpipe, invidia catback and off the shelf cobb stage two flash.

• 2 months later...

just a quick word about those talking about smog shops that are a bit lax on the rules:

I believe they're required to look at serial numbers on all emission items. and for them to over look some visuals is probably a no no by California.

so with that being said, I do appreciate smog locations that aren't strict. I think carb is over reaching and dumb.

so maybe it might not be super recommended to mention very specific shops, in case someone is snooping.

• 7 months later...
Can any one chime in on oil catch cans and grimmspeed TMIC?

I was turned down from the visuals alone.

Most testers will want it to look stock.

Some may look the other way. Just know the fines for looking the other way is more than your willing to pay, so don't expect this kind of treatment from anyone.

I was questioned why there was a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the engine bay. After explaining what it is and why... No Problem... But that's the ONLY item that was not stock looking.

An intercooler replacement is not a violation of smog laws in CA. I have the printout somewhere with the code section, but I kept it handy (when I was in CA) in the glovebox for that very reason. A non-recirculating BOV however, would fail the test.

Like Rhitter said, the catch can (ironically, since it doesn't actually hurt anything) will fail visual.

An intercooler replacement is not a violation of smog laws in CA. I have the printout somewhere with the code section, but I kept it handy (when I was in CA) in the glovebox for that very reason. A non-recirculating BOV however, would fail the test.

Like Rhitter said, the catch can (ironically, since it doesn't actually hurt anything) will fail visual.

Huh, I didn't know that... Even so, some shops don't want to play that game at all, and will turn you away, or even fail you even if you show them it's legal. You don't have to ask me how I know.

Huh, I didn't know that... Even so, some shops don't want to play that game at all, and will turn you away, or even fail you even if you show them it's legal. You don't have to ask me how I know.

I can imagine that's the case at some places. I however showed them the code section, if they want to fail you due to a legal mod, I would just go elsewhere (and not pay them, of course).

When you're in the right, you have the power to do as you please.

Catch can is a no go. Modifying the stock PCV system. Just the Grimmspeed TMIC you may be able to pass.

Most testers will want it to look stock.

Some may look the other way. Just know the fines for looking the other way is more than your willing to pay, so don't expect this kind of treatment from anyone.

I was questioned why there was a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the engine bay. After explaining what it is and why... No Problem... But that's the ONLY item that was not stock looking.

Thanks for the reply... I put on the factory tmic and will remove the cans and plumb the hoses together .. Hopefully that works...

He seem to have bypass my grimmspeed boost control the first time ... but can't bet he'll overlook it the second time....

Edited by JMJ5150

• 1 month later...

All depends on the knowledge of the tech about the car. I was questioned about the mechanical oil pressure gauge that is extended from the upper rear galley. All of the HW on the car is stock, yet, my up pipe is gutted.

Just paid for my last registration and look forward to picking up a DP that will have to be removed and tune pulled back to stage 1.5 next trip to the smog station.