LegacyGT.com

New CA Smog OBDII Info Thread

Diavolo

I passed at a STAR smog 2 months ago (I also got a STAR notice - wonder if they're hitting all 14-15 year old cars once or something?).. Nothing really different from previous checks, except the guy was horrible at communicating.. His demeanor made it seems like he was going to fail me, and then all of a sudden "ok, you're done"..

Last time I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge extended inside the engine compartment.

He asked what it was all about and explained I used it to ensure there was oil pressure after the rebuild.

Otherwise stock looking=pass.

No CEL on the ECU is a must and your check engine light needs to work before startup.

The place I passed 3 years ago while stage 2 failed me in Nov for having an aftermarket up pipe with an oem DP and exhaust. Then I failed again after I didn't have enough miles on the monitors after I swapped everything back in... Then came the tricky part of driving enough miles to turn on all the smog monitors while having expired tags lol.

Yes... The monitors... This is what I was also going to also mention but could not remember the term to use. Too many balls in the air these days.

This is is precisely why I'm going back to stock after Feb. I'm due in April.

The place I passed 3 years ago while stage 2 failed me in Nov for having an aftermarket up pipe with an oem DP and exhaust. Then I failed again after I didn't have enough miles on the monitors after I swapped everything back in... Then came the tricky part of driving enough miles to turn on all the smog monitors while having expired tags lol.

I had that happen with our 100% stock 2008 Grand Caravan - I had just replaced the battery a couple of weeks earlier and not all the monitors were ready.. It can be a bit of a pain to get some of the monitors set on one of those if you only do city driving. I had to follow a procedure I found online to get them all to the "ready" state.

Car Gauge (android app - I paid for the Pro version) + bluetooth OBD2 dongle is your friend - it has an "OBD2 readiness" section that I ALWAYS consult before heading to the smog place. My LGT seems to get those sensors ready MUCH more quickly - although it could just be part of the tune :lol:

...so got passed with the catless up (it is hard to see, I helped that by mudding it up a bit and putting the head shields on below - I really didn't want to swap that again), as well as the COBB turbo inlet that I didn't have a stock to replace with (scraped off the white branding, sprayed black primer on a paper towel and wiped a bit over, rubbed some road dust on it to antique). Stock DP, stock (silly small) intercooler. I suspect they didn't really look very hard, only a 5 minute check.

Pain in the ass, now to swap the DP, cooler, and various tubes back. Probably the last 2 years on this one, with 174xxx I'm not sure I'll need to do it again.

Random note, you don't really need to get that many miles to be OBDII ready; if you keep the gas tank rough half-full and keep it pegged at 60mph, it resets after like 25-30 miles.

I am new to the Subaru scene so please excuse me for asking stupid questions. If your car is tuned but remains stock looking, can you pass the sniffer test?

Thanks

I haven't had a sniffer test in 6 years - just OBD / visual checks..

I am new to the Subaru scene so please excuse me for asking stupid questions. If your car is tuned but remains stock looking, can you pass the sniffer test?

Thanks

Also - SoCal may be different than Norcal. It shouldn't be, but I think the Tech's might be a little more stringent down there.

You should have on all your OEM cats when you go in for the check.

Also - SoCal may be different than Norcal. It shouldn't be, but I think the Tech's might be a little more stringent down there.

You should have on all your OEM cats when you go in for the check.

If he is talking about the 05-09 gen, they shouldn't be doing sniffer at all. Just a OBD2 plug in and visual.

I've been able to pass while stage 2 (oem catless up) and a cobb dp with a turbo blanket + cut up stock heat shield.

EDIT: This was with stock mid/y/mufflers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all. This car is taking up too much of my time. Been chasing vacuum leaks and putting off installing the VF52 and STi Uppipe. Now I just found out the turbo inlet hose may be the source of the leak.

Can you guys tell me if an aftermarket silicone turbo inlet hose is ok with the visual inspection? Thanks.

Depends on the tech. If it's black. It should probably be okay. If it's not black, who knows.

Technically it's not okay. Or see if you can get one that looks close enough to the Cobb that you can apply the EO number.

But, I don't know how to do that.

The techs who used to smog my 80s BMW said it is not legal under CARB rules. I don't really want to take my chances so I went ahead and ordered the OEM hose. I also heard OEM is easier to install. Just can't find any DIY instruction for it. Thanks.

It's just a little hose dance to get it out and back in. You do have to take a few items off to get to all the connections. Especially the PCV dump pipe to the "Leak Detection" sensor.

All doable without taking the intake off. But clear the area of those sensitive to four letter words.

It's just a little hose dance to get it out and back in. You do have to take a few items off to get to all the connections. Especially the PCV dump pipe to the "Leak Detection" sensor.

All doable without taking the intake off. But clear the area of those sensitive to four letter words.

Thanks. I have seen a lot of posts and videos on the "Leak Detection Sensor" mod, is it something I should do/can do and still pass visual? I have a Tactrix cable to delete/turn off notifications if needed.

If you have a stock intake just leave this assembly in place. I'm just mentioning it as a part of the intake that is pretty buried. There is also the head crossover pipe and BOV hose. Take your time. It's a big puzzle, all the parts only fit where they came from. :)

• 4 years later...

Keep in mind after the green speed change Cobb is working with CARB and trying to get most of their parts certified.

This has to be an expensive exercise.

Some are already ok. Keep an eye on their website and notes on the parts.

I hope one day they get the down pipe approved.

Be nice if Grimmspeed could get their TM inter cooler but I'm not holding my breath there. Holding onto my kit for now on that front.