LegacyGT.com

High speed battery charging

I called my local autozone to see if they would trickle charge a battery, they said they do hi speed charging instead. Is anyone familiar with it and if it's as efficient as a slow steady charge? Something in the back of my head says slow and steady wins the race, but I have no concrete reasoning to back that up.:confused:

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Most shops/dealerships will rapid charge because they don't want to have a battery taking up their charger for 10-14hrs, it's fine. Many batteries (more commonly on motorcycle batteries) will list two different amperages and charge times on the side, one for rapid charging, one for slow charging.

Interesting... I took the battery to Autozone. (Diehard 1 year old) and gave them 2 hours. I went back and they said they tried it twice and it wouldn't hold a charge.

I took it back to Sears and they put it on the machine and tested/charged it for 45 minutes and said there was nothing wrong with it. It works beautifully...

I'm more than a little suspicious at the moment of AZ!

Interesting... I took the battery to Autozone. (Diehard 1 year old) and gave them 2 hours. I went back and they said they tried it twice and it wouldn't hold a charge.

I took it back to Sears and they put it on the machine and tested/charged it for 45 minutes and said there was nothing wrong with it. It works beautifully...

I'm more than a little suspicious at the moment of AZ!

I would just as easily be suspicious of Sears at the same time, this doesn't single out one or the other. It depends on how the battery was tested. If autozone did a load test (the proper way), the battery could have failed one or more parts of it. If sears did a simpler, easier test, the battery may have passed it, but that doesn't absolutely mean it's a good battery. Hopefully sears does more than hook a multi-meter up to it to see what the static voltage is. Sometimes bad batteries still manage to pass these tests believe it or not, they're not 100% conclusive if a dead cell here or there is not being detected well enough.

If you have your doubts, take it to another auto parts store and get a third opinion lol. If it's at least a couple of years old, I say screw what any test tells you and just replace it if it's giving you issues. Better yet, if it's only a year old, have it warrantied!

I get what you're saying. The Sears guy did hook it up to a machine that I assume does load testing and charging as it gets hooked up inside of a large device that has a protective plexiglass block around it in case of explosion I assume. It then goes for a preset time. After 45 minutes it spit out a report which claimed thae battery was charged and working properly. I had every reason to believe that the battery simply ran out after the car was in the acc position for 3 days in sub freezing temps :eek: Since then it has held the charge just fine and all seems to be good. It could even be as simple as the folks at AZ just not hooking it up properly. Who knows? But all seems good right now. If it fails again it's under warranty so it would be back to Sears for a new one!

Thanks!

Archived