LegacyGT.com

CEL and Flashing Cruise Control

:spin: Hello people I'm new here :D

I went to Joe's Alphas Subaru located in Downtown Sacramento recently and Joe gave me this Subaru service bulletin(image is attached) explaining the code he read. He said it might end up costing up $1000, which includes a brand new ECM... Has anyone had this happen before and is it worth fixing ASAP?

(I was thinking I could buy a used ECM and save some money if it comes down to it)

277185166_Scan130090000.thumb.jpg.bcdb0cf2197815ad1d6773c1923a2df1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The same exact thing started happening to me 20 min ago.

I am on vacation and have a 7+ hour drive tomorrow in cold weather. So I pulled into an auto parts store and installed a new air filter, filled the wiper fluid reservoir with some rain-x low temp, topped off the coolant and added a quart of oil (it was low).

After doing all this I started the car and the CEL came on and the Cruise indicator started flashing. I'm thinking oh s**t what'd I do. Thinking about it on the way back to the cabin I realized I forgot to re-plug in the sensor on top of the air box. Sigh of relief, that must be it. Pull over, turn off the car and plug in the connector. Start the car again same CEL and Cruise flashing.

Wtf? Coincidence? Did I fry the sensor? Just need a reset?

Please help, I don't want to get stranded in the snow tomorrow.

• I Donated
Put a paper filter in and reset the ECU and you should be fine. Most likely, the CEL is on due to the stored code from the MAF (which runs off the connector on top of the airbox). Our cars tend not to like non-paper filters, though.

• I Donated
Just to be clear, you are recommending I toss the K&N filter I just purchased, buy a new paper filter and reset my ECU?

Thanks for the prompt reply, I am worried.

I doubt you have done any damage by running a metal filter for a few miles. It just throws off the MAF calibration, so it's not a good idea long term without a tune. I recommended the ECU reset to clear the code stored when you left your MAF unplugged. It will have the added bonus of resetting the AF learning for when you swap the paper filter back in.

Basic gist: no need to be worried.

Archived