LegacyGT.com

MA help opening up trans

spc2125

Hey everyone,

I have an 06 spec b and have been having trouble with the transmission. It started on the 29th of september when a bunch of lgt's went to go get dyno'ed.

I put mine on the dyno but i wasnt getting power to the rear wheels and it would make a loud grinding noise coming from the transmission. I thought bad center diff.

So i gave it to my mechanic to look at and also his colleague who replaces center diffs all day for work and they both concluded that based on the symptoms that the center diff wasnt the problem. Meanwhile my mechanic noticed i had a stuck left caliper. He fixed that and i went back to go dyno.... same thing happened again.

But it sounds fine while driving, although i think i hear a whining sound while driving. But i dont hear the grinding sound. So, the other day it snowed and I was driving up a really snowy steep hill and would think with the subie i would have no trouble. I start to go up it, but the car was sent to the left and then to the right and back to the left and to the right all while climbing the hill and WITHOUT me turning the steering wheel. So there is definitely somthing wrong with the awd system.

So then i go down the hill and end up sliding into a snow bank 4 inches from a fire hydrant thank god! So i put it in reverse and try to get out of the snow... but i hear the grinding noise for the first time besides on the dyno. The front wheels must have been spinning and the car was barely moving. So at that point i decided there is definitely somthing wrong and I need to address it before I crash in the snow.

Heres my situation. I dont have 2k to replace the transmission nor the money to waste to pay a mechanic $400 to open up the transfer case to see what the problem is. Also wanting to learn a lot more about my car.

So I was looking to see if anybody in the Central Mass area (Im from Worcester) that has experience doing this kind of thing, would lend a hand in helping me see whats going on in there?

Would happily supply beer

Thanks,

Steven

• I Donated Too
How did i know you would comment about that?

Friends, older siblings, it doesnt matter how i get it. Now stop cloggin my thread.

So testy! One of my specialties is transmission work and I'm headed up that way to visit a friend. Just wanted to make sure you could have beer on ice ready to go.

Forget it, then.:icon_frow

So testy! One of my specialties is transmission work and I'm headed up that way to visit a friend. Just wanted to make sure you could have beer on ice ready to go.

Forget it, then.:icon_frow

Lies! You know squat about this problem. I call bs.

I have no knowledge on the subject, but would bring some beers in exchange for the learning experience... especially if there's a vice wherever this is done, so I can hammer out the bolt that's stuck in one of my sockets! :rolleyes:

Eh I doubt that I ain't jealous especially with all the work u have had to do that Spec B!

Ha! For the price I got it at, all the money ive dumped into is just barely getting to the actual value of the car... stock.

But they haze me because im young... its whatever. It goes as far as some guy cough laff cough commenting on every post i make. Its pretty pathetic haha. But I dont loose sleep over it. I just tell them to kiss my 325whp FWD spec b :p

Key statement is " all the money I have dumped into it". Getting a ride cheap and having to put over 4K into it which results in bringing it back to book value isnt really a great deal. Not trying to bust your chops but def shows that ur young and learning a lesson a little harder than most.

Archived