LegacyGT.com

98 Impreza brakes

jback

Have 98 Impreza Outbackwith 208k; I have replaced front calipers & pads, but brakes have an irregular grabbing with a sensation through the pedal and slight thump or twang. Is this something with the ABS or related and how do I find out.

Did you remove sliding pins and regrease them?

What condition are rotors in? Did you check their thickness? The minimum SB stamped on the back of the rotor itself.

BTW, how long ago was your t belt etc done?

O.

^ +1 for you to check all of what Osei posted.

In addition to that, you should flush your brake fluid if it hasn't been done in the past year or two.

To check if it's the ABS, you should pull the ABS fuse and see if it still acts up. Pulling the ABS fuse will disable the component until you put the fuses back in.

Thanks for your responses. I have ck'd and greased the sliding pins, the rotors look in in good shape and I am unable to find any numbers on them.

I have test driven with the 20amp ABS fuse removed and everything seems normal. with the fuse replaced the brakes make this grab and release sensation. I cannot remove the ABS controller fuse as it will not shift with that one out. How do I determine is this the (Hydraulic control unit, Proportioning valve or what.

The timing belt,water pump and tensioners were done at 170k

Had similar issues with a 98 Forester.

The "mechanic" who replaced a ball joint, broke the tone ring on daughter's car. Had to remove fuse as you did to stop the grabbing etc. Until there is a reason to remove hub (very unlikely), it will stay like that.

Check for broken tone rings on each wheel.

O.

• 2 weeks later...

PM me your e mail and I will send you the FSM.

From what I see, the LF and RR are on one line and the RF and LR on the other.

Check your rears, you may have something loose in there.

Rotor minimum thickness is 22mm for either 15 or 14 in wheels. Rear drum min. inside dia. is 230.6mm

O.

• 2 weeks later...

i would join and post over on USMB (UltimateSubaruMessageBoard). There are at least 4 mechanics over there.

Perhaps you will get more leads there.

Unfortunately I am at the end of my knowledge here.

O.

• 2 weeks later...
With the ABS diagnostic terminal grounded with (B81 grounds) I get a variety of codes through the OBD. PO500 speed sensor A and 1540 speed sensor 2 PO130. So which is speed sensor A or 2 ? I guess PO130 is the oxygen sensor or a leak

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar situation in my '00 when ever i hit a bump. It was caused by a recently blown strut. So when the wheel hit a bump while i was braking it bounced, loosing traction and causing the ABS to push back on the pedal.

dammed lousy cheap infrastructure :spin:

Archived