LegacyGT.com

Left Front Clunking over bumps

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
those are FRONT caliper pins and associated rubber parts. rear caliper pins do not have rubber sleeves.

My 2011 2.5i has front AND rear caliper pin boots and sleeves. Advance auto has them for cheap.

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/p/wearever-caliper-rubber-pin-boot-kit-18021a/3552926-P?cm_mmc=ET-_-Trans-_-Confirmation-_-General#utm_source=ET&utm_medium=Trans&utm_campaign=Confirmation&utm_content=General

I had a similar noise. I thought it was the strut, but luckily it was only the moumy.

What year legacy and how many miles we're on it? Front or rear strut mounts? Didn't you have to pull the strut to replace the mount? I assume I'll be doing this soon and plan on doing the struts and mounts all at once.

What year legacy and how many miles we're on it? Front or rear strut mounts? Didn't you have to pull the strut to replace the mount? I assume I'll be doing this soon and plan on doing the struts and mounts all at once.

It was an "07 SpecB. LF. I didn't do the work? Buy I think they had to lower the strut. I had the strut tested first buy it was working.

Have a 2010 GT and I've been having a noise that I thought was the right rear door.

It makes noise while under acceleration and hitting bumps or backing into the driveway, especially if I hit the apron?

Having suspension work done Wednesday hope this problem is remedied. I will keep posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Have a 2010 GT and I've been having a noise that I thought was the right rear door.

It makes noise while under acceleration and hitting bumps or backing into the driveway, especially if I hit the apron?

Having suspension work done Wednesday hope this problem is remedied. I will keep posted.

there was a TSB concerning the right rear pop/thunk sound. apparently some of the welds werent done as well and are redone with the TSB

there was a TSB concerning the right rear pop/thunk sound. apparently some of the welds werent done as well and are redone with the TSB

Thanks for the heads up. I called and they confirmed this is a known issue with 2010-2013 legacy AND outbacks. I am taking it to get it looked at next week. They seemed willing to extend to coverage of getting it fixed if in fact it is the issue. I told the lady at Subaru of America that I love Subaru, and not to make this my last one bc of an expired tsb. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
Can't say I am glad other people are having the same issue,,,but at least I know its an issue,,,I have the same problem on my 2000 Legacy GT for awhile now and CANNOT seem to find the problem,,,the brake caliper slide pins were not the issue, nor swaybar end links,,,I was going to the strut mounts next,,,,,did your shop find the problem?? I would be very interested on the solution..Thx

Does anyone have the number / name of the TSB for this? I want to read it to understand a bit better what is the symptom they describe. I am becoming convinced that the clunking that I occasionally hear does not come from the passenger front but rather passenger rear area on my 2011 Legacy.

EDIT: I think the TSB in question is 12-147-13 or 12-147-13R. Still trying to locate it...

• 6 months later...

I hear something similar from the left front side when I back out of my driveway over the curb onto the road (rear of the car going left). I also hear the same sound on the right front side when I'm turning right at low speed over sharp uneven surfaces.

For me, these noises happen every single time at the same locations and no other. I've sort of learned to live with it, but I always wonder what it is.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread. Experiencing the same clunking noise on the front right when applying the brake pedal quickly (essentially tapping). I know my bushings need replaced, and have been experiencing clunking related to those the past 2 weeks, but this sound is clearly isolated to the braking component(s) based on my described process to replicate.

Almost sounds like the caliper is smacking a loose brake pad before pressing it to the rotor, since if I hit the brake slowly there is no noise. I've replaced the struts, springs, mounts, rotors, pads, and pad brackets about 8k miles ago.

I did notice the caliper pistons exhibited some wear (one seemed 'gunky' when pushing and pulling). I'm going to replace the pins, new grease, and add grease to the caliper/pad plates.

Car is at 155k.

^braking like that causes a lot of movement in the suspension and body and can cause a lot of things to clunk.

If you have worn suspension parts I suggest sorting those out first then do the same test again. You might find the noise to be gone.

^braking like that causes a lot of movement in the suspension and body and can cause a lot of things to clunk.

If you have worn suspension parts I suggest sorting those out first then do the same test again. You might find the noise to be gone.

Yeah and I do experience that sometimes when braking/turning which I blame the bushings on. From what I've described above though the noise occurs noticeably before the pads start to bite. Just trying to point that out for anyone else trying to diagnose issues.

I'll certainly follow up once I get under there, but I'm probably not going to do one thing at a time and test it out.. aint nobody got time for that lol just going to do it all at once.

I feel you man, in chasing my own clunks I actually bought the caliper rebuild kit just to get the guide pin bushings. Didnt work in my case though.

I agree with on your approach, just fix everything and hopefully it's all nice and tight after!

Archived