LegacyGT.com

dustinsonger's time attack outback build

dustinsonger

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just forgot that the best aerodynamic vehicle that anyone could ever use for tracking is an outback.... That's why I'm even questioning the functionality of any these crazy lips and such. They don't seem quite necessary. But I guess there is only one way to find out I suppose.

• 2 months later...

Hmm...washington plates? Where are you?

I was looking pretty seriously at the APR splitter and canards earlier this summer. I have a design for a rear diffuser that I need to mock up...making it swappable at the track is slowing progress.

Nothing like a wagon for passing sportscars on the track...

I'm in Puyallup actually. The canards are actually a one off design I made myself... Honestly how large of a diffuser will you be making? You shouldn't have any problems daily driving if you make a simple one. All your trying to do is make a lower pressure zone and smooth the transition back into normal air. I'm having more trouble with my flat bottom than I think I will with the diffuser.

Nothing like a wagon for passing sportscars on the track...

Exactly the plan

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/665667_4318417752938_327814414_o.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/621344_4375761546497_779350287_o.jpg

These are actually updated photo's of the canards now. Some drunk ass fell on one at a bar and broke one off so i reinforce the mounting of them and made some guides for the sides.

My driveway determines what actually will fit....right now the front bumper scrapes and rear clearance is about an inch. So a front splitter and rear diffuser would have to mounted at the track.

An effective diffuser needs to be pretty long and fed by a flat surface. I was going to attach it to the rear diff and extend it beyond the rear bumper a bit to the length I needed. The thread I had about this - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lgt-aero-devices-194212.html?t=194212

In your case, can you get a sheet of aluminum and attach it to the bottom of the car? Although, you might get better results by extending the side skirts down as you're trying to create a low pressure zone under the car.

The canards on the front will likely be negated by the large fog lamp openings, also they seem small.

Keep in mind, just adding that splitter puts you in the unlimited class for autox as you only get 20 sq in of aero devices.

BTW, I've a set of 275/30/18 hoosier slicks if you want to try them.

It's a 07 5mt Obxt.

The fog lights will actually be removed here soon and I will be turning the openings into into entrances to brake cooling ducts for the six pots I'm putting on soon.

Their is still a lot of work I need to do, I am going to be closing the space between the bumper cover and the splitter with a guide that will be designed to better controll the flow to the canards and brake ducting.

The flat bottom will actually be mad out of a material used for making large signs. It's an aluminum sheet bonded with plastic. I will be mounting it the same way I did the splitter, making support brackets that it will bolt to. The sides will be folded to create the side skirts. That will go back to the differential and from there I will be designing a dual deck blown diffuser. I'm actually going to be cutting out the spare tire well and most of the rear bumper to run the upper deck and the exhaust routing to blow the diffuser. I'll draw something up so you can see, but running a blown diffuser will hopefully negate the need for a super long diffuser, and allow the second deck to do its job. Being a wagon this is pretty much the only real option I can see to create real rear downforce without having to run a rediculous rear wing.

i need to switch my schedule around and get some classes in puyallup. would be very intereting to see an outback with a splitter. especially one not owned by a dumb shit. i'm impressed you are willing to remove your fog lights for brake ducts. awesome!

It's a 07 5mt Obxt.

The fog lights will actually be removed here soon and I will be turning the openings into into entrances to brake cooling ducts for the six pots I'm putting on soon.

6 pot? Brembo, willwood, or something else? You might look on the for sale forums, as a 4-pot willwood comes up for sale once a blue moon.

Their is still a lot of work I need to do, I am going to be closing the space between the bumper cover and the splitter with a guide that will be designed to better controll the flow to the canards and brake ducting.

Depending on how you you're going to this (fiberglass, bondo, racer-tape, etc), check out the foam you get at the flower shops as it easily sculptable and you can use it for a mockup.

Flow of air into the foglight/brake ducts openings should be fine without any additional ducting. With holes that big, you might get too much. Then again, you'll be able to feed the calipers, hub, as well as the disk. Keeping the hubs cool will be a challenge (at least it has been for me).

The flat bottom will actually be mad out of a material used for making large signs. It's an aluminum sheet bonded with plastic. I will be mounting it the same way I did the splitter, making support brackets that it will bolt to. The sides will be folded to create the side skirts. That will go back to the differential and from there I will be designing a dual deck blown diffuser. I'm actually going to be cutting out the spare tire well and most of the rear bumper to run the upper deck and the exhaust routing to blow the diffuser. I'll draw something up so you can see, but running a blown diffuser will hopefully negate the need for a super long diffuser, and allow the second deck to do its job. Being a wagon this is pretty much the only real option I can see to create real rear downforce without having to run a rediculous rear wing.

Cutting out the spare tire well? That's the better way. I wanted a dual deck diffuser, but couldnt find the space for it and I didnt have enough guts to tell my wife I was cutting the car, too.

Rear wings on a wagon are hard to mount without looking really goofy. Experience on the track suggests that rear downforce isnt the biggest issue, as you can adjust the suspension settings to make it tighter. Getting and keeping the front end down was/is a bigger issue. I set the rake at about 5 degrees trying to pre-load the front...it helps but still need more d/f to help with cornering.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Brought your own picnic table to the photoshoot, I see.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'll post more soon but rebuilt the aero on the front, a

Built two more canards and reinforced the inside of the bumper a bit. Also didn't spend big money on it but got a custom setup for coilovers on the car. Heavy valving and 10k springs in the back. Waiting for my avo rear sway to show up and will be rei forcing the rear sway mounts. Also starting on a test rear diffuser this week.

How are you going to "test" the diffuser?

And 10k springs, good lord. Hope the tracks you intend to set lap records at are smooth as glass!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

How are you going to "test" the diffuser?

And 10k springs, good lord. Hope the tracks you intend to set lap records at are smooth as glass!

The Ridge, a local track, is pretty close to glass smooth. Pacific, even closer, has a few waves & dips and a large gravel patch, but still pretty smooth as things go.

Archived