LegacyGT.com

dustinsonger's time attack outback build

dustinsonger

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
easy to assemble an engine no doubt, are you guys building these in temp controlled areas? all within the tight specs needed, impossible if not being built in aforementioned temp control room...they will go together and run, for a while with garage builds I would not put any level on longevity into such a build. Even more so if this build is intended to put down power / see ANY track time.

Specs? What specs?

Building my engine instead of paying someone else to do it doesn't imply I lack "spare cash."

Feel free to visit my build thread though for additional naysaying. I'm always up for a good interwebz argument. I don't want to hijack Dustin's thread any further.

Look man, clearly, your new to this website, so you are trying to make sure everyone knows that you know what your talking about, I get it, it's cool. and yes I am actually building the engine in a clean room with a constant temperature inside a house, but seriously most people don't have that option, building an engine in a garage is a common thing, shit, when I used to build motors for BMW spec racers the shop I was working at was probably dirtier than some people's garages.

As far as aero is concerned, I have said it before, I do not have a race team budget and without a cfd program or wind tunnel it's all black magic. I have a degree in engineering and a good understanding of fluid dynamics that I am using to come up with ideas for the good fun of just building a fun car to drive. and yes if you look through this you will see that I have already completely removed the spare tire well in preparation for a rear diffuser I'm designing.

And honestly fun is the main word here. So the tires may be a bit much but he'll it looks sweet and I do make use of it, could I get away with less? Yeah of course but when I'm not going for being the fastest in the world or whatever I honestly don't care. I like it. It's better than being stance haha

easy to assemble an engine no doubt, are you guys building these in temp controlled areas? all within the tight specs needed, impossible if not being built in aforementioned temp control room...they will go together and run, for a while with garage builds I would not put any level on longevity into such a build. Even more so if this build is intended to put down power / see ANY track time.

The splitter I am sure makes downforce, its every other thing that I question the overall value of. Also I see no rear aero for downforce, might be a good idea esp with all that front aero, your ass will get light.

I am glad to hear that you have plans to move the harness but you are likely more safe with the OEM setup at this point.

295's....no way you can make use of that effectively. I have watched local guys run the 400+whp cars on 255 /275 and make more than adequate traction. The OBXT in beast mode making what 300whp?

Time attack formula is simple, TRACK TIME > good tires > Suspension dialed in / corner balanced > increase lightness > add power to compensate for lack of lightness > add aero as needed (if you have some idea what you are doing otherwise this is pointless)

Um...what's your qualifications here? Nothing in your tagline about actual race experience. Which makes you sound like a "mom's basement dweller".

with wagons, keeping the front end on the pavement is the hardest part of exiting a corner. Keeping the rear end planted in the rest of the corner is the other hard part. Fat tires help with cornering, aero & lsd helps with exiting.

Check out the SCCA wagon thread for other aero bits.

The splitter I am sure makes downforce, its every other thing that I question the overall value of. Also I see no rear aero for downforce, might be a good idea esp with all that front aero, your ass will get light.

I am glad to hear that you have plans to move the harness but you are likely more safe with the OEM setup at this point.

295's....no way you can make use of that effectively. I have watched local guys run the 400+whp cars on 255 /275 and make more than adequate traction. The OBXT in beast mode making what 300whp?

Time attack formula is simple, TRACK TIME > good tires > Suspension dialed in / corner balanced > increase lightness > add power to compensate for lack of lightness > add aero as needed (if you have some idea what you are doing otherwise this is pointless)

Temp controlled environment? The specs on these motors are not tight enough to cause any issue from assembling them in a non temp controlled environment. We do not drive Ferraris, broseph.

For lack of a better description we have a troll here, who is an internet/armchair mechanic and keyboard race car driver.

/Tool

For lack of a better description we have a troll here, who is an internet/armchair mechanic and keyboard race car driver.

/Tool

Until Dustin complains, he remains. Although, compared to some previous posts, this one seems mild. Although he does have expertise, having watched others drive...

Until Dustin complains, he remains. Although, compared to some previous posts, this one seems mild. Although he does have expertise, having watched others drive...

You know I have to agree with you, there have been some bad ones. With that said, it is this fools opinion that has me bothered. Dustin is on here, like many of us, documenting his build. We are lucky to watch the process, give help when needed, etc. It should not be a place for some fockinguy to come in and start trashing the build. It has happened in my thread. Its stupid. Its pointless, it wastes his time typing it, wastes my time reading, and wastes space on the server for his nonsense.

Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one, and most of them stink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the giant gap guys but I need help. Car runs great but I'm having problems with my ap. Cobb has been as much of a help as they can I think since I'm on accessport #3 now and I can't keep assuming that's The problem.

Now, to my problem. When I first got the car running the ap worked fine and loaded my base map from dom just fine, then it started acting up after a week or two. and now it just won't work. What happens is it powers up when plugged in but it won't sense that my ignition is on, even if the car is running. Now that seems simple enough but I have hooked up a shitty "gm dashhawk" and it works just fine, also if I hook up a scanning tool that requires the ignition to be on to scan, if the ignition is off it connects just fine, and when I turn the key on it connects. I have gone through 3 accessport cables and it's definitely not the cable, even just tonight when I received my 2nd replacement accessport I fully depinned the obd2 harness and plugged the pins directly into the ap harness, still no luck... what the hell could be going on? Noone else seems to have ever had this problem and I'm on accessport number 3 now and I can't assume it's that. Any ideas?

nah, this is new after the engine rebuild. it worked when i was first running it after the engine went back in, and i have 4awg ground wires running everywhere now. my obd2 port is just not giving the signal it needs to give to tell the ap that the ignition is on

• 1 year later...

Archived