LegacyGT.com

dustinsonger's time attack outback build

dustinsonger

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have been wanting to start a new thread but i just don't have enough ready to do so. But just to let people know, i will be registering for the first round of the redline time attack series this year. The motor is taking a very long time for me to build due to various reasons but the race is at the end of February and if everything from here on out goes close to plan it will be done, tuned and ready to go for the race.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the fine folks at TurnIn Concepts yet another part of my order was wrong and im now waiting for the correct pistons. i hate to call people out but after spending over 6 grand with a company who claims to be a top subaru tuning source i have been subject multiple times to being: sent wrong parts due to incompetence, horrible part shipment times, and deadline setbacks from pure ignorance or lack of customer appreciation.

i do need to state that the whole reason i went to them was because my good friend that many of you in washington knew as the owner of MPS, dominic acia, helped me plan my build and since after closing his shop in marysville, has been working for Tic as a tuner and engine builder. He has been nothing but an amazing help with all of the issues both from tic themselves and the other company's involved. but the owner of tic and his shipping or inventory or whatever departments have shown a clear lack of knowledge over the past 3 months that makes me wonder how they ever became a legitimate business in the first place.

needless to say after causing way to many ******* setbacks im now in a position where making the first round of redline seems like a pipe dream.

these guys make amazing cam gear bolts, but beyond that i would avoid any interaction with this company until they can get their shit together.

either way this car rocks... what have you topped her out at and whats her name lol

Haha thanks. She has no name, I stopped doing that a long time ago, once you name a car you give it a personality and they start being jerks. And I have no idea how fast I've gone in it... I don't pay attention to my speed on a track and I don't speed when I'm not on a track or mountain pass, i much prefer cornering, plus I have so much aero that my top speed is probably not very impressive. I know I've broke the 130 on my mountain pass but I don't know exactly. speeding is dangerous and a good way to get in trouble. Take it from me, I have been driving for over 16 years and have no tickets, it's nice having cheap insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read up on this build and I have to say, 1) Good shit bro, keep it up and you're on your way to having probably one of the most (imo) fun to drive OBX out there, and 2) Don't listen to the negativity in here, they're just jealous they dont have a similar set up. I'm surrrrre that once you get your suspension set up the way you want it you'll be giggling all over the forums rubbing it in everyones faces haha.

Can't wait to see where this all goes. I got respect for unique-ness and cohones and you definitely have both!

this thread is comedy-effing-gold, thanks for the pics...

a few questions:

You really feel all that work with cannards everywhere is so sort of gain? seriously Ive seen real time attack cars with less. how much drag are you hoping to induce.

your harness looks like its mounted in a less than safe fashion, harness should be near horizontal and higher to driver shoulders, kinda like

http://members.rennlist.com/homerdoh56/IMGA0073.JPG

did I see 275 series tires on 10in wide wheels...weight means nothing to you right?

rebuilding a suby engine, good luck...

Nice drawing MasterVisionary

and thanks sneakygt

And to slack off, I'm glad you got some entertainment out of it. The canards only comprise about 2 Sq ft of surface area with only about 1.1 Sq ft of that being at a high enough aoa to be an effective aerodynamic surface. Whereas most modified or unlimited class time attack cars will have in excess of 3 Sq ft. My primary use for them is front end stability, the splitter produces far more noticeable effects. The harness definitely is in a horrible potion for mounting. Safe mounting range for the upper straps is usually -5° to 30°. the setup I have is street legal and is just temporary while I finalize my seat position. and yes I used to have 275s on 10 in rims. Now I have 295s on 10.25 rims. weight does mean something to me, hence having a large tire contact patch for the massive weight of my fat ass wagon. Unsprung weight on the other hand is just something I'm sacrificing for more mechanical grip. And lastly, the engine rebuild itself is extremely easy, problems with receiving the wrong parts has been the only hold back on the build.

rebuilding a suby engine, good luck...

Why do you say this? There's like 4011 people on this board as we speak that are rebuilding Subie engines. Legal disclaimer: I'm one of them. According to lots of folks it isn't that terrible a job. In fact, go read MrTris shopping list thread. Only lesser men and girly types shy away from rebuilding their own engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easy to assemble an engine no doubt, are you guys building these in temp controlled areas? all within the tight specs needed, impossible if not being built in aforementioned temp control room...they will go together and run, for a while with garage builds I would not put any level on longevity into such a build. Even more so if this build is intended to put down power / see ANY track time.

The splitter I am sure makes downforce, its every other thing that I question the overall value of. Also I see no rear aero for downforce, might be a good idea esp with all that front aero, your ass will get light.

I am glad to hear that you have plans to move the harness but you are likely more safe with the OEM setup at this point.

295's....no way you can make use of that effectively. I have watched local guys run the 400+whp cars on 255 /275 and make more than adequate traction. The OBXT in beast mode making what 300whp?

Time attack formula is simple, TRACK TIME > good tires > Suspension dialed in / corner balanced > increase lightness > add power to compensate for lack of lightness > add aero as needed (if you have some idea what you are doing otherwise this is pointless)

Archived