LegacyGT.com

Software for Tactrix OpenPort 2.0

ehsnils

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
are the ELM dongles the Bluetooth ones? like the ELM-327? also, +1 on the Android idea, also with BT support. Will this software make ANY changes to the ECU or just read data? i understand basically what it might do, the rest is chinese. A language to which i only know the words "Bruce Lee", "Jackie Chan", "Jet-li" and "kung-fu" etc.

No, Bluetooth dongles may or may not be ELM-compatible.

Between the computer and dongle you can run either USB :), Bluetooth or serial [yuck], and it depends on the dongle what the alternative is. That is the "hardware" layer so to speak.

On the hardware layer there may be different software layer protocols, J2534 or AT-Command, where J2534 gives good performance while the AT-Command is much like the commands that you used to send to old modems for dial-up. The devices talking AT-commands has much of the vehicle protocol built in, but at the same time they don't have the same performance when it comes to data transfer between car and PC.

Cars in turn may support one or more protocols and speeds.

• ISO 9141 - Serial protocol, usually 10400bps. Found on some vehicles from '95 and on.
  • ISO 14230/KWP2000 - Serial protocol, usually 10400bps, much similar to ISO 9141 and uses the same pins but somewhat different data format. Found on some vehicles from 2002 and on (depends on brand)
  • SAE J1850 - Serial protocol that exists in two sub-variants, Variable Pulse Width (VPW) or Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). Speed up to 40kbps (or something). Found on some vehicles from '95 and on, mostly US vehicles (Ford, GM, Chrysler).
  • ISO 15765 - CAN bus protocol, speeds of 250, 500 and possibly 1000 kbps. (Very fast compared to the other protocols)
  • SAE J1939 - CAN bus protocol similar to ISO 15765, but usually found in heavy duty vehicles, farm equipment etc. The data is different from what you find on ISO 15765.

From MY 2008 and later all US sold cars shall support ISO 15765.

Professional dongles usually supports J2534 while hobbyist level is often using ELM chips or clones.

ISO 15765 in turn supports two addressing modes, 11-bit and 29-bit. With 11-bit there is a supported address space of 8 ECUs while 29-bit offers address space of 256 ECUs.

The Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 is supporting J2534, which is good (better performance), unfortunately I have found a few bugs with it, but those bugs are related to 29-bit addressing so it doesn't impact Subaru at least.

Dongles with ELM chips are "smart" in the sense that they usually are able to detect which protocol the vehicle has automatically and that makes it easy to use them. But they are also a bit constrained when it comes to performance and flexibility.

So far my goal with the application I have made is to be able to read information from the vehicle and present it in text or graphs. This includes reading DTCs (and clearing them). The DTC clearing is the only feature so far that modifies the vehicle it's connected to.

453747.png

A new version is now available! (See first post)

• Better support for multiple ECUs.
  • A companion simulator application is now also available. (Can also replay vehicle data)
  • Ability to log raw data for the simulator.
  • Improved the performance and reliability on the CAN bus protocol.
  • Updated documentation.
  • Added support for Vector CanCase/CanCard. (Still under development)
  • Support for ELM Bluetooth device with serial port emulation. (shall work with earlier versions)
  • Support for GPS. (NMEA GPS on COM port, hardwired to 4800bps)
  • A few bugs fixed.

The GPS data is provided in data log files as the last few columns.

There is a limitation on ELM (and compatible) devices in cases where the ECU answers with more than one CAN frame. It's the flow control handling that's insufficient right now.

453747.png

Gonna have to try this. A couple pages back you mentioned compatibility with Volvo DiCE. Does that mean that you have to have actual Volvo DiCE hardware (or clone) or any DiCE.? Have you posted this over on any of the volvo forums?

• 8 months later...

Great project I have learned quite a bit, trying to get up to speed. I han a 2007 forester XT with CANBUS. I have both the Taxtrix 2.0 and the elm327. I downloaded and app to send bluetooth commands to the elm327. I got a response back from the 01 05 coolant WOHOO!! . I have a question about reading in SSM on 0XA8, can this be done on the ELM327?? Just wondering if my thinking is correct here. Feel free to revise

Standard OBD commands on Can 1575 protocol via proocol Canbus 11bit 500k on my vehicle. Set using AT SP0. he header is set by using AT SH 7E0. Then command 01 05, $01 is the current mode.

Then there is raw can. According to the ELM327 data sheet I have to use ATSPC in a custom user mode. Then I would have to set the appropraite filters and masks.

Just trying to figure out what protocol filters and masks I have to set to get the ELM327 to report back SSM data manually without the J2534 interface.

• 2 weeks later...
Great project I have learned quite a bit, trying to get up to speed. I han a 2007 forester XT with CANBUS. I have both the Taxtrix 2.0 and the elm327. I downloaded and app to send bluetooth commands to the elm327. I got a response back from the 01 05 coolant WOHOO!! . I have a question about reading in SSM on 0XA8, can this be done on the ELM327?? Just wondering if my thinking is correct here. Feel free to revise

Standard OBD commands on Can 1575 protocol via proocol Canbus 11bit 500k on my vehicle. Set using AT SP0. he header is set by using AT SH 7E0. Then command 01 05, $01 is the current mode.

Then there is raw can. According to the ELM327 data sheet I have to use ATSPC in a custom user mode. Then I would have to set the appropraite filters and masks.

Just trying to figure out what protocol filters and masks I have to set to get the ELM327 to report back SSM data manually without the J2534 interface.

My experience with the ELM interface and compatible is that it's not very good at "special" actions. It depends a lot on which version of the chip/firmware you have as well as if it is a clone or not. It works well for reading a small amount of data and fault codes but for handling the "big" data the J2534 interface is a lot better.

It's almost like the difference between a dial-up modem and an ADSL modem when surfing the web.

453747.png

• 2 years later...

I'll give this a shot on a 2010 Legacy (32-bit DENSO ECU) and 2015 WRX (32-bit HITACHI ECU).

Communicating with both using SMM-over-CAN via Tactrix OP v2 rev H (latest firmware). ECU and TCU data loggable.

2015 also has a fairly robust set of Enhanced OBDII Mode 0x22 params as Subaru seems to be moving away from SSM on the newer cars.

I have SSM III and SSM IV, but without hardware for both and activation code for the later, can't make use of either suite. Not planning to shell out $2-3K to make them usable.

Archived