LegacyGT.com

Software for Tactrix OpenPort 2.0

ehsnils

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I'm guessing that this software won't be able to grab the "freeze frame" data on a USDM2005 Outback XT.

EDIT: Also, can this work with an Access Port serial cable or does it need to be a Tactrix cable? I'd really like to be able to get my own freeze frame data because the last time the dealer did it they flashed my ECU and rendered my AP a $600 lump of coal.

If the Access Port has a J2534 API I can add it.

Maybe you can Zip the drivers for the AP and send to me, and I'll see what I can do.

Still scratching my head over ISO9141/KWP2000... Biggest problem is that I don't have any vehicle with those protocols.

ANYWAY

I uploaded a new version, see link in first post. I have made some restructuring, and preparations to allow for the ability to run multiple protocols simultaneously - as long as they are from different protocol families. So when I get the other protocols running it shall be possible to run both ISO9141 and CAN at the same time, provided that the hardware and drivers supports it. On some Volvos you need to send a sequence every five seconds or so over ISO9141 to enable CAN in the OBD connector.

What I have added to this release is also Gauges - up to seven gauges can be displayed. Just watch out - start with one or two at a slow update rate first - especially if you have an older PC.

Another thing is that you can do a data log to a CSV file and also save the parameters you did read from the vehicle. Notice that SSM output for the sensors goes under the "Snapshot" tab while the response to SSM Init goes under the SSM tab.

One quirk (that is caused by the API) is that request for SSM data is limited to a single address when doing functional addressing but if you do a targeted addressing you can request multiple addresses in the same SSM request. You can change the value under "Items per SSM request" in the Vehicle Data tab.

I haven't updated the documentation yet. :redface:

And if you have drivers for other kinds of adapters I would be happy to take a look at them too and see if I can add support for them. Right now the Tactrix and the Volvo Trucks UWA020 (88890020) are supported in case someone has one of them. The latter because I had access to one during my work.

One thing that I have put effort into is the list of OBD codes, and I have added as many codes as I could get my hands on for Subaru, and also added codes for Toyota and a few for Volvo.

Please come back with suggestions and ideas and I'll see what I can do to implement them. You can "dry run" the application as long as you have an adapter connected.

What I'm thinking of is to allow for different update frequency for different PIDs since some are frequently updated while others are slow. (Water temp is slow, while engine RPM is fast). Shouldn't be visible in the logs - just in the traffic to the ECU.

453747.png

If the Access Port has a J2534 API I can add it.

Maybe you can Zip the drivers for the AP and send to me, and I'll see what I can do.

Still scratching my head over ISO9141/KWP2000... Biggest problem is that I don't have any vehicle with those protocols.

All I can find is the "Access Port Manager" at the bottom of this page: http://www.cobbtuning.com/AccessPORT-Archives-s/70669.htm (Direct link to EXE: http://www.cobbforums.com/apmm_v1.67.exe)

It's a serial-OBDII cable and in my case I use it with a serial/USB adapter.

All I can find is the "Access Port Manager" at the bottom of this page: http://www.cobbtuning.com/AccessPORT-Archives-s/70669.htm (Direct link to EXE: http://www.cobbforums.com/apmm_v1.67.exe)

It's a serial-OBDII cable and in my case I use it with a serial/USB adapter.

It doesn't look like it has the J2534 API, so it won't be a quick fix to support. Right now I have two other devices that I can develop for, and it's the Tactrix 1.3 cable and the AGV4000 adapter. ( http://agv4000.de/ )

And to be able to continue development I have ordered this little box:

http://www.kds-online.com/Shop6a/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2325

453747.png

And from what I understand the RomRaider data is more for information within the ROM, not so much what can be inspected on the fly in the car.

What I would like to see is a list of extended PID:s (Mode 0x22) that are supported by Subaru.

Thanks anyway. Back to scratching my head over odd things in protocols! :p

I named the wrong file in that last message... I'll go back and fix that.

RomRaider's ecu_defs.xml does indeed contain the locations of data in the ROM file. So of course it never changes while you're driving. :)

RomRaider's logger.xml contains the addresses of values in RAM. You can use SSM to query arbitrary RAM addresses in addition to the standard SSM parameters. The RAM addresses are different in almost every ROM version though, that's why logger.xml is so huge.

I named the wrong file in that last message... I'll go back and fix that.

RomRaider's ecu_defs.xml does indeed contain the locations of data in the ROM file. So of course it never changes while you're driving. :)

RomRaider's logger.xml contains the addresses of values in RAM. You can use SSM to query arbitrary RAM addresses in addition to the standard SSM parameters. The RAM addresses are different in almost every ROM version though, that's why logger.xml is so huge.

Thanks - looks much better.

I'll see what I can do with that info.

453747.png

One of the new features in the provided release is the ability to show gauges. Seven gauges can be displayed, but I advise you to take it one by one to make sure that your PC don't think it's too much and gets overloaded.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/gauges.jpg

453747.png

I have continued my development and also done some work to allow you to look at the sources and report problems.

Sources are available from Subversion at:

http://www.bedug.com/subversion/CanApp2/

Just be aware that it's code under development - so if you run that version it may behave strange.

Problems can be reported at:

http://www.bedug.com/mantis/login_page.php

Just be aware that the only protocols that I know works so far are ISO15765 and raw CAN.

I have ordered an ECU simulator, and when I get it I'll be able to improve the development.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/37036_Diamex_Simulator_0480x0412_01.jpg

453747.png

I have now released a new version, 1.0.232.

The application has now a simulated device which means that you don't have to own a Tactrix device to try the application.

Still waiting for the simulator box.

Feedback is welcome.

453747.png

I finally got my simulator, and have found a few bugs with it.

I also realized that the Tactrix Plug can't do 29-bit addressing for some reason. Other devices I have acquired works with the same settings so I suspect that there's a bug in the plug firmware or drivers.

453747.png

I have made some further progress on the application in adding support for more devices than the Tactrix Plug. Still scratching my head over the Tactrix 1.3 cable, but the following are tested now:

• Tactrix OpenPort 2.0
  • Volvo UWA020
  • Volvo Cars DiCE
  • AGV4000 and AGV4000B. (Claims to be ELM-compatible).

Coming up are the VAG-COM cable, the ElmScan 5 and OBDLink SX which I have on order right now.

I also plan to revise the J2534 DLL lookup so it will look in the registry for the devices instead of the current hard-coded solution.

453747.png

• 1 month later...

After a lot of thinking, work and testing I have now created a new version; 1.1.358. (See first post for download link)

Some of the features:

• Support for more OBD dongles.
  • A restructured GUI.
  • Charts that are a lot better, now I'm using the ones that Microsoft has created. However this means that you now need .Net Framework 4 instead.
  • Possibility to change the sample rate for selected parameters to a lower frequency.
  • Support for all the common protocols; ISO 15765, ISO 14230 (KWP 2000), ISO 9141 and J1850 (PWM and VPW).
  • Freeze Frame support.

Screenshot:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/CanMiner/Screenshot1.png

MAF plot from one of my test runs:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/CanMiner/Mass%20Air%20Flow.png

Right now over 80,000 lines of code... :spin:

Comments are welcome! :cool:

453747.png

It was able to read the codes, but only via the ELM interface - I couldn't get my OpenPort to work.

I couldn't figure out how to use data logging. I wanted to log the O2 sensors, but when I saved the log I just got a file 7 bytes long: "t (s)\r\n"

It was able to read the codes, but only via the ELM interface - I couldn't get my OpenPort to work.

I couldn't figure out how to use data logging. I wanted to log the O2 sensors, but when I saved the log I just got a file 7 bytes long: "t (s)\r\n"

Is it an OpenPort 2.0 you have or is it an older? Currently only the OpenPort 2.0 is supported, but when running the J2534 interface it may also be necessary to enable or disable the frame padding flag since some ECUs want to have frame padding and others not.

This of course tells me what I need to improve in the manual.

453747.png

I was using the 2.0, but I'll try experimenting with the frame padding flag next time.

I think it would be helpful to revise the UI to use a wizard style. Pick the interface, click next; pick the protocol, click next; etc, etc. I spent a fair amount of time wondering what the next step would be, and how to get there.

I'll look into what I can do about improving the UI, it's sometimes tricky to get all right.

One thing that I haven't succeeded with is to make the OpenPort 2.0 work with 29 bit addressing on CAN bus, only 11 bit. When I have been looking at the traffic the request went and the answer came back from my ECU simulator but nothing was propagated from the OpenPort. And when I used another device there was no problems with 29 bit addressing.

I'll need to contact Tactrix about it to see what they say.

453747.png

• 4 weeks later...

New version added, now I have a dynamic support for J2534 devices so it should be able to handle those that I haven't explicitly listed.

J2534 is the API that professional devices uses.

One new feature is auto-detect of protocol.

In addition there have been several bug fixes and addition of hint/helper balloons to the application. They can be switched off on the Properties page.

The manual is also updated.

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the software to 1.2.470. Download link in first post.

No major visible changes, more a few bugs fixed and a software restructuring to make it more modular. This is also the first version that is build in "Release" mode since it's now relatively stable.

I have realized that the simulators you can get are often not very good, and are pretty limited. And if you want something that's more competent you need to pay until you bleed.

So far - the best support is for modern CAN bus OBD vehicles with ISO15765 where J2534 devices can be used while older vehicles running ISO9141, KWP2000/ISO14230 or J1850 are best supported by an ELM dongle.

453747.png

• 3 weeks later...

nice!... just found this and I'm very interested. A few questions....

KWP2000 support means it will work on my 05 Legacy 2.5i, correct?!

If so, what dongle do you recommend for my car (ELM?), and is finding one pretty simple online? (google ELM dongle?)

There is probibly no way this can be used to program a BIM is there? (Long story short my red ring around my ignition cylinder is flashing and from what I've read here it means a BIM was installed and left in dealer programming mode)

Lastly, this seems like something I'd have a lot of fun tinkering with and may find more usful then my $40 code scanner. AND, something you've put a lot of work into.... Do you have a paypal or anyway of receiving donations for your hard work on this project?

thanks

edit: oh 1 more thing.... Any plans to make an Android version of this for those of us with USB OTG? Even just a "lite" version that does simple read outs of codes and gauges and the ability to reset CEL would be handy. I already have a USB host dongle for my Galaxy S3. Plugging the ELM (or whatever you recommend) into my phone sounds like good times.

It shall work with the 05 Legacy as long as you do have an ELM or AGV Dongle.

The Elm Scan 5 Compact: http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/pc-based/elmscan5-compact.html is one that I have used, and it seems to work fine. I have also tested the ObdLink SX (http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/pc-based/obdlink-sx.html) which essentially provides the same thing as the Elm Scan 5 Compact.

The AGV dongles are German, so you may not see them around in the US anyway.

And no - there is no option to program the BIM as it is now. I'm primarily trying to get together something that reads codes and parameters.

As for Android version - that's not something in the immediate future, and since this is written in C# it would be a bit tricky, and it may be easier to write a new package for Android. And there is always the Torque app for Android if I'm right.

When it comes to donations - getting parameter data and diagnostic code lists for various vehicles/brands would be of more interest. I do have the RomRaider data already, so Subaru are pretty well supported already.

And for the long run I would also try to look at other dongles. Even simple cables like the Tactrix 1.3 and VAG-COM cables are at least on the to do list. However I have realized that my OBD simulator device is a bit quirky when it comes to the K-line timing, which explains why I have wasted several hours on trying to talk to it. A Bluetooth dongle could be interesting too - then there would be one wire less to mess around with.

453747.png

Updated to new version, 1.3.504. See first post for download link.

• Added support for GPS to allow logging of some GPS data in addition to the OBD data.
  • Improved the Gauges panel to also incorporate telltales.
  • Added some more SSM parameters.

Have Fun!

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/CanMiner/Injection%20Amount.png

453747.png

Archived