LegacyGT.com

Sound inside dash when I turn off the car.

Dergara

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviving this thread because I need help. My passenger side actuators are freaking out and won't stop. I attached the videos of them. And now my driver side is making loud noises too! I'm not very mechanical Davy so I don't know what the parts are called so I can replace them. Any help would be appreciated!!

Also worth noting: the video was recorded when I took my dash apart to replace to cabin filter...little did I know there wasn't even one to replace!!! Stupid dealership!

First one is when the car is on

Second is when the car is turned off

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_7/climate/heater_system/illustration_2/

Top actuator is for the mode: Motor-actuator mix, 72131AG11A

Bottom one is for the air mix (temp): Motor-actuator mode, 72131AG24A

Verify with dealer before buying the parts.

My mode actuator did the same thing. I took it apart, cleaned it and lubed it with dielectric grease. Working fine now.

Pull out the trim that's in the way, get your head up in the footwell and put the lever peg back in the slot of the actuator cam. If that doesn't work, pull and fix the actuator as mentioned ^ :)

It looks to be in place just fine in the videos. He'll need to clean or replace the actuators.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for this thread. Of note, if you snap any of the little clips, there are rings on each corner of the solenoid you can throw a cable tie thru to secure it. After taking mine apart and reading this, i think the issue is 1 - the lack of lubrication and 2- the fingers that go to the veristats on the wheel fatigue, so just pulling those back up slightly might be the issue.

• 10 months later...

just bumping this to say I had the same issue and taking apart the little motor and regreasing the gears seems to have fixed the problem.

it's only been 1 day, but hopefully it stays quiet. :)

edit: its been a month and a half now... seems to have worked!

Edited by Diavolo

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, I finally got around to making a serious attempt to do something about this on my car. I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do but I wanted to at least figure out what that actuator/servo part was all about and what it would take to replace it. Mine was driving my nuts making noise all the time while driving and then of course after I shut the car off.

I give ssbtech credit for being a genius based on his post a little while back because basically I did exactly what he said. The result: as of now I have a perfectly quiet and smooth running actuator! It's a miracle and although I cant' be sure that the issue will never return, I'm pretty stoked that I've been able to drive my car around since yesterday with no hint of that annoying clicking and it's dead silent when I shut the car off. Wouldn't be right to not thank compsurge as well since as far as I know, he's the one that initially diagnosed it and correctly identified the part (there are a couple of other threads about this issue as well).

Anyway, so I pulled out the glove box (which actually ended up not being as messy as I thought it might) and that gave me enough room (barely) to get in there and pull the actuator out. Still a pretty cramped space but I just had to use a small screwdriver to get at the 3 little screws that hold it in place (after getting the metal brace out of the way). Once the actuator was out, I saw that it could easily be taken apart. Basically its a motor and some gears that are housed in a case which can be pulled apart by undoing some tabs around the outside. I broke a couple tabs in the process cuz they were pretty brittle but I wasn't being very careful since I was just assuming I was going to have to get a new one anyway. The little cylinder motor pops right out. I just cleaned off some of the surfaces and parts and added a little grease to the gears. I didn't really have much hope for that to work, but I put it back together and reconnected the green plug and tested it out. I was amazed that it was totally silent and there was no more herky jerky movements or noises at all. After a few tests, I was ready to reinstall it. That was a bit of a pain to get it back in. The large white plastic piece on the one side of the housing that connects to the gear wheel has a couple of guides on it that need to be reconnected. This assembly controls where the air blows with the different modes by opening/closing the various vents so the air routes appropriately. Anyway, I can't say I know exactly why this worked and fixed the issue, but based on my experience I would have to recommend giving it a try. Also if the noise/issue returns, it's good to know that with a little patience and maybe a few scratched up knuckles, the part can be swapped out DIY style without too much hassle (part # 72131AG24A). The video here is after I reinstalled the (now working) actuator. The final position is after I turn the key to off.

Thanks for posting all this! I pulled my actuator off yesterday because it had completely stopped working. It had been making the creaking noise for a couple years. I pulled it apart and tried cleaning the contacts, bending the prongs, but it did not fix it. The only thing it did was instead of the ducts being stuck on vent, now they are stuck on defrost. I thought I had it fixed when i reconnected it and it shifted to defrost, but it never moved from there. I guess i'm buying the part Monday from the dealer, their price is comparable to the internet. I'll update when I get it complete.

Just find your car in opposed forces, find the hvac section and the motor part entries and click the part link to see useage info for any relevant models. Lmk if that's beyond your capabilities :)

Doing so, you may find rhd hvac motors are not compatible with lhd... Here's my rhd post facelift info:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/en_b13/type_36/climate/heater_system/illustration_2/

Order replacements if reqd via eg partsouq or japanparts or Ebay :)

Edited by bigBADbenny

I do not recommend this, but I was fed up with no heat on driver side, I bashed the dash directly over the actuator, problem solved. I now have heat and no gurgling noise. I doubt this will work for anyone else, but, for now, my issue is solved until it comes back (which it will, I am certain).

^ aka the technical tap :)

Beware, the mounts for the actuators are quite delicate... Bordering on flimsy :)

I've done it already.

BTW my car is bl5 eudm lhd 2008 model. it looks like the US 2008-2009 model. are these parts I'm looking for the same? except the part numbers I mean.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My understanding is that dual zone is not an issue regarding hvac door actuators, but lhd/rhd is relevant. Just buy the motors to suit your lhd car. :)

For comparison:

Usdm 6mt GTb lhd:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_12/climate/heater_system/illustration_2/

Eudm 5mt 2.0r my07+ lhd:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/en_b13/type_27/climate/heater_system/illustration_6/

Check the useage info above, the parts seem to be region specific, thus I'd check them on eBay or partsouq for comparison. Also do a vin based part search on eg partsouq to be sure :)

The reason for this is your car is post facelift lhd model which USA iirc didn't get.

Edited by bigBADbenny

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have one of these actuators laying around from a parts car? Mine seems to work intermittently. Sometimes when I plug it in, it works, then I test it 5 mins later and it doesn't work. I took it apart and cleaned it up, with no luck. I don't want to spend $90 at the dealer to find the problem is an electrical issue, or that the problem stems from another part of the hvac system. I need the upper one on the passenger footwell in my 2005 lgt with nav and dual climate controls - it controls the defrost/face/foot vents.

Here's what I'm looking for:

472858110_Legacyactuatorpic1.thumb.jpg.64684d452aeca7f441783ae07a471855.jpg

2089106137_legacyactuatorpic2.thumb.jpg.3b878693356391ab66d1a86d98eac526.jpg

Thanks for trying WL, but it is not the same part. I've searched around ebay and can't seem to find the identical part. A local guy has a parts car on craigslist, I'm hoping he's got the part, but he's out of town for a week. I've rigged it to blow up for the defroster, but my wife says her toes are freezing. Since it's her car, I've got to fix it next week one way or the other.

Try a part # search on partsouq via your vin?

What's the p/n?

Let's assume yours is or is similar to a usdm late model 2.5t dohc 5mt...

Here the useage info for your upper hvac door motor...

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/72131AG24A/

So find ***any*** of those cars listed at your local self serve wrecker, tell em it's eg a relay and get it for $5 or eg 12 if described as solenoid or actuator :)

The above info was found here by cross referencing your sig and OF climate section for legacy b13 usdm as found here (part 22) ;)

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_7/climate/heater_system/illustration_2/

72131AG24A

Searched on eBay looks similar to dealership pricing so the wreckers should be your first destination for haste and value :p

Edited by bigBADbenny

Thanks BBB, that's great info on tracking down parts! My only problem is that none of the self service wreckers around here seem to have subarus, except the random Subaru Justy or wagon from the 80s.

However, by searching the actual part number, which you found and I double checked with my VIN, I can find online dealer pricing for $68, which is MUCH better than $91. If the guy with the parts car doesn't have what I need next week, I'll probably order a $68 one online.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Thanks for posting all this! I pulled my actuator off yesterday because it had completely stopped working. It had been making the creaking noise for a couple years. I pulled it apart and tried cleaning the contacts, bending the prongs, but it did not fix it. The only thing it did was instead of the ducts being stuck on vent, now they are stuck on defrost. I thought I had it fixed when i reconnected it and it shifted to defrost, but it never moved from there. I guess i'm buying the part Monday from the dealer, their price is comparable to the internet. I'll update when I get it complete.

OK, I finally finished installing new motor form Subaru. I couldn't get the whole cage off with the motor, so i just unscrewed the screw closest to the front of the dash, unscrewed the motor from the cage, bent the cage up enough that the motor could wiggle out.

Subaru part # 72131AG09A $67+ tax

Not really hard, just super cramped in there. Got it in, made sure it worked, buttoned everything up, thought all was good.

Wife calls me 5 minutes into her commute, the part works fine, but theres nothing but cold air coming out the passenger side. So I drove to her work, took everything apart and realized I had knocked one of the arms off of the dual climate control motor for passenger side. Put the arm back on and everything is golden now.

• 1 month later...

I going in to do this actuator remove-and-lube on my 2005 LGT. There is NO way that I can see to get the bracket off without growing a second (or third) elbow or wrist. So, I suppose I will detach what I can and bend the bracket out enough to get the assembly out.

Unless someone can advise me on a better way...

I going in to do this actuator remove-and-lube on my 2005 LGT. There is NO way that I can see to get the bracket off without growing a second (or third) elbow or wrist. So, I suppose I will detach what I can and bend the bracket out enough to get the assembly out.

Unless someone can advise me on a better way...

Thats exactly how I did it. Remove the one screw you can get to, and then remove the three screws from the actuator, and then bend the bracket to remove the actuator. After lubing mine didn't work, I had to buy a new one, $70 from local dealer. New one works perfectly. Also I didn't realize I knocked the arm off of the passenger side temp. control actuator, sent my wife to work and she calls me to say the passenger side is blowing cold air. So I took the parts off three times to complete. NOT fun.