LegacyGT.com

My Turn: '05 OBXT on Koni/Swift/Whiteline

fenominal

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cobb did the installation and that is the thread that I gave them for the install instructions. Joe, you can come check out the OB, but we're moving this weekend, so I won't be able to bring it down to South Bay. You're more than welcome to come to OC. We'll get coffee or something :)

I am traveling out to CA, orange county this weekend maybe natoli, femominal we can all hook up. Ill be out there for 2 weeks.

I get to the residence inn hotel 2855 main street in irvine around 12:30 this Sunday.

Would love to maybe meet up at El torito's down the street or something. LOVE that place.

I wont have wheels though...:(

Fenominal I think Natoli4 has answered your questions on the suspension and he would know as like he said he has had multiple setups. Doesnt sound like you can use the OB strut bodies.

I have only had coil overs but when I installed mine I did use the LGT bump stops as they are shorter.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the car back from Muellerized and the ride quality is astoundingly good. Natoli4 can affirm that the Muellerized coilover suspension is a work of art. Scooby2.5, I'm sorry you missed it...

Anyway, I don't have all the details yet. I've only just got internet at home after the move and I'm planning to interview John Mueller to get more specific. I can tell you that what he concocted is a sleeved coilover not unlike those found at Ground Control, but that it utilizes the stock Outback strut bodies and LGT Koni Yellow inserts. The Swift springs that were first installed were deemed unworthy and a bad fit. I'm not sure what springs are currently installed, or their spring rates.

One last thing to consider: John Mueller designed this setup (and the alignment) for my wife's driving needs and characteristics. It's stiff enough, but it isn't stupid stiff. It also isn't as low as the flush crowd would like, but I'm certain there isn't a better-riding OB in the country...

What are your questions before I interview the man?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdg7diT8gy1qi5pu9o1_1280.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdg7diT8gy1qi5pu9o2_1280.jpg

I will say this, ride is awesome, I didn't hit any big hits to see what the bottom out is like but it road very BMW like, which is what I'm after. The one thing I would change is the front struts...I would use Legacy bodies with sleeves (ground control?) to be able to adjust fronts as well. The ride is great though however you slice it. Make sure to note that you have sways and other things that keep the car from leaning in the corners.

Once you have specs I will be building my own version for my summer set up! Thanks!

Very interested to read more about the suspension for this vehicle. Any plans for LCA bushing replacements? My Koni + iON spring combination was well mannered up until I had the LCA bushings replaced.

Jim, I've replaced the rear bushings on both the FRONT left and right LCA's. Whiteline.

Also, as Natoli4 mentioned above, I do have a few other suspension pieces installed, and you can view the full setup on page one.

Anyway, I don't have all the details yet. I've only just got internet at home after the move and I'm planning to interview John Mueller to get more specific. I can tell you that what he concocted is a sleeved coilover not unlike those found at Ground Control, but that it utilizes the stock Outback strut bodies and LGT Koni Yellow inserts. The Swift springs that were first installed were deemed unworthy and a bad fit. I'm not sure what springs are currently installed, or their spring rates.

More interested to read about what John Mueller "concocted" per your description.

• 4 months later...

I think the Outbacks that had Premium trim level and higher come with the rear windows tinted from the factory.

It's a sweet ride. I would love to have your job, being someone who has been reading Motor Trend since I was 13 years old.

2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M - FB25 w/ a 6 speed

2002 Impreza 2.5TS - EJ251 w/ a 5 speed (The Stormtrooper)

Only the 2009 Outback had dark tint on the rear doors and windows from the factory. It was the first year it was classified as a truck by the DOT.

2009%20outback.jpg

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

• 2 months later...
Can you post you suspension setup? i am still curious about this. I would need an extra inch in height but i'd love for a good outback setup. I run wide tires so skinner struts springs would be nice. :)

There are a couple options for the suspension. The cheapest is Legacy struts and springs (wagon springs) with spacers installed. Basically any strut made for the Legacy will work. You need to be more careful with springs, because the outback runs larger tires.

There is also an outback specific coil over from BC/BR that Scooby2.5 has.

I personally have Bilstein HD's with a .75 inch spacer in the front and a 1.5 inch spacer in the back. This puts me at about 15 inches front (center of wheel to fender) and 15.5 inches in the back.

Here is a link to my install thread. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/obxt-bilstein-xt-167299.html

Within that forum - model specific 2005-2009 outback, I think the top three threads right now are about lowering the Outback.

Can you post you suspension setup? i am still curious about this. I would need an extra inch in height but i'd love for a good outback setup. I run wide tires so skinner struts springs would be nice. :)

Our OBXT suspension is kind of a one-off coilover similar to Ground Control. LGT Koni struts, stiffer than off-the-shelf LGT Swift springs (wagon rears), but I also used the OBXT strut bodies. This was an accident on my part, didn't know I needed LGT strut bodies. So, my OBXT strut bodies were modified by John Mueller, suspension god, at Muellerized.com, and he did so with an adjustable ring perch, like with Ground Control.

Look back at my photos: this is AS LOW as John was willing to go to maintain barely-acceptable compression and rebound.

The car has an amazing ride, but there are some sway bars and other pieces, too. That info is in the first post.

I already have sway bars and i run 255's so i need clearance do you know how much he would charge for another set of those coilovers for Koni strut inserts? I would probably go an inch higher than yours seeing to fit my tire setup with minimal fender adjustments. Thanks for all the info.

I already have sway bars and i run 255's so i need clearance do you know how much he would charge for another set of those coilovers for Koni strut inserts? I would probably go an inch higher than yours seeing to fit my tire setup with minimal fender adjustments. Thanks for all the info.

He'll make you a full Ohlins race setup if that's what you want. Also, if it means anything to you, John was the FIRST retailer in North America that was licensed and qualified to sell and install Whiteline products.

I brought him my car with the suspension on it. It was completely bottomed out, springs compressed, and riding on the bump stops. We drove it that way for 3000 miles knowing something wasn't right, but never having seen below. When he put it on the lift and showed us, I was shocked and disgusted.

So, I already had all the parts.

John had my car for a week, and we paid him $1600 including alignment. He basically started from scratch, since he hadn't done an OB or Legacy setup. In theory, it's close to what he does for his race setups, except I supplied him with parts.

He returned my Swift OTS springs for stiffer Swift springs.

That's a steep price to pay, and the BC setup might be cheaper, but I'll never go anywhere else now for suspension, and I'm more than happy with what John made for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived