LegacyGT.com

Project Spec.B #163

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't bad at all. Baked them at 215* for 10 minutes and they popped right open. Used a little extra butyl in some dry spots (reformed most of the original and placed it in the channel). Sealed up nice and installation was easy. Polished them with a 3M kit to deal with the pitting and they came out great. Going to get some switchback turns in (Diode's black friday sale).

I did notice somehow on the inside of one lens I must have brushed it with a towel (tried damn hard not to touch the inside of the lens in the process), and theres a very small spot with a weird pattern which is visible when the light shines through. I may still black out the corners some day, and then deal with the inside of the lens. I wanted to see how they looked with chrome corners on silver for starters. The process isn't bad so I am not worried if I have to pop them again, and will anyways if I do a TRS morimoto retro for HIDs :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well time for another update. Just wrapped up a long and frustrating period of troubleshooting a bizarre acceleration issue. Turned out it was a failing Venair Silicone post MAF tube for the intake. Running OEM now and so car's running quite healthy.

Ordered a StopTech "Stage 2" upgrade kit for the brakes (StopTech's stage convention - seems like stage 1 to me :lol:). Power slot rotors, pads, and SS lines for an amazing price (wasn't planning lines). These will go in with some ATE Super Blue and with my existing Grimmspeed MCB - braking should be much much better (and I was due for pad replacement and at minimum a rotor turn).

Also going to repaint the calipers (car came with them painted red). Going with Satin Black for the calipers and will probably leave the Subaru logo Doc made on them prior to painting as a mask, then remove to reveal a red Subaru logo on the front calipers for a little more subtle look behind the wheels.

Also ordered a Stanza CF bulge bonnet scoop, really want the CF to tie in with my other accents and hoping it provides more airflow to the PW TMIC. Will be measuring vs. OEM to see if it's functional or just bling.

Procured a STi FPCM that should lose less current vs. the LGT version to match up with the DW 65C in preparation for new injectors and E85 soon. Still trying to decide on what turbo to go with and a CBE (either Nameless Performance or TurboXS).

Spring will be here soon and then I can throw on the summer wheel/tire setup, all the CF goodies I removed for winter and then get this thing a proper photo shoot!

Currently yes. I've put about 15K on the warranty replacement VF40. Just trying to get all my supporting mods done in preparation for a bigger snail. Haven't decided if I'll go 16G/VF52 or something like a HTA68 since I'll be running E85 6 months out of the year.

HTA68 + E85.. I would imagine you'd be happy. :)
Definitely. Just need to make sure all my supporting mods are in order. Going with a 16G or VF52 requires a bit less to make it reliable. I imagine with the HTA68 + E85 I'd need to deal with possible upgrade to intake/MAF, and maybe even bigger injectors than 850cc. The clutch I'm going with will support either route. I also want to stick with the PW TMIC and not sure if I'd need to go FMIC (mmm ETS) with the bigger snail or not. I'll chat more with my tuner once I'm closer to pulling the trigger. I also want to avoid having to go full build on the block until this thing is no longer a DD. That last part has me still considering the smaller turbo options for now. An EVOIII 16G with E85 would be a fun DD car I'm sure!

Got sick of some loose crap in the interior and a prickly ass e-brake lever button that has chrome peeling and the leather is barely attached. Ordered up some goodies from Chaplin's Subaru in WA. Random clips/popits, driver's side end cover for dash (mine's missing some tabs), rubber stoppers for the glove box, a new cover for the center console (mine's scratched all to hell), and the e-brake lever. These things have been nagging at me since I bought it.

Project interior refresh is going to get a nice update. Still need to get the VBG1, condition the leather, install the Subtle dead pedal and a Kartboy short shift lever to pair with the STi shorter shift linkage, and figure out my audio plans since it's killing me not having Pandora in the car. I've got a McIntosh 6 channel amp with internal EQ module, Focal separates, and just need to decide if I want to go full on JDM conversion with a second screen or get an Audison Bit 10 converter with aux in. I don't really care about bluetooth and going with a stealth install (OEM vs. aftermarket head unit) is appealing to keep the would be thieves at bay. With the double box JDM armrest I could wire in the aux and keep my iPhone in the top bin after routing a 3.5mm jack along with the power. Decisions decisions.

Also received tracking and my brake upgrade arrives tomorrow, and the hood scoop is en route from Hong Kong.

JDM dual din conversion definitely...

:p

At least you didn't say EDM center console swap to go along with it (although I do dig those illuminated round cupholders). If I go JDM dual din I still have to wait for iPhone 5 support on some kind of appradio (I'm fine with factory nav since I know my area well enough that I don't use that screen for maps often at all).

The longer I have the factory NAV the more I hate it. Kenwood is a POS. Never liked them and don't believe I ever will :/

I think it would be cool to retain the stock bits sans the NAV crap on the OEM piece, ditch the box under the seat, hack the ROM for a couple extra gauges, and get the COMPLETE JDM center stack with the illuminated cup holders, circle shifter surround, and something like an Alpine touch screen NAV HU with all the cool bits. OMG piano black is sooooooo sex....

I understand what you mean about the factory NAV. I just rarely use it (and always have my phone as a backup if I was "lost"). It does have the auxiliary video input and I actually looked into a HKS Camp II to run custom gauges but that products discontinued and I remember HKS USA closed down a couple years ago.

You want EDM not JDM for the center stack unless you plan on a RHD drive swap as well ;) Piano black is overrated. Shows smudges way to easy and scratches as soon as you breath on it. I test drove an Audi with Piano black trim and won't ever have that in my car. Matte finishes hide the prints much easier!

Since NAV is so low on my priority list I would like to find a solid application radio from Pioneer or Alpine. Just need native iPhone 5 support - and I imagine that will be out this year. I have an older iPhone but it's only a 16GB, and I'd have to tether it to my working iPhone for streaming or data which is redundant redundant...

Boxes on the doorstep can be as exciting as Christmas morning as a child...

:D

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn146/jaymmmbee/LGTspecB/specB%202013/6BA518EC-E393-4A06-B629-AB856A61E60D-4024-00000200C8C2A8CB.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn146/jaymmmbee/LGTspecB/specB%202013/E9CCBB13-B4F6-4353-83D8-F767E5E20C45-4024-00000203CCC9ED4D.jpg

Going to be a busy weekend in the garage :cool:

Boxes on the doorstep can be as exciting as Christmas morning as a child...

:D

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn146/jaymmmbee/LGTspecB/specB%202013/6BA518EC-E393-4A06-B629-AB856A61E60D-4024-00000200C8C2A8CB.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn146/jaymmmbee/LGTspecB/specB%202013/E9CCBB13-B4F6-4353-83D8-F767E5E20C45-4024-00000203CCC9ED4D.jpg

Going to be a busy weekend in the garage :cool:

Uhhhhhhhh.......

YOU'RE MISSING SOME CALIPERS ;)

Archived