LegacyGT.com

"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^It's my own fault. In the video, why do you hit the lock with a screwdriver and hammer? From what I could tell, they lock by themselves?

They do, but there's a bit of give. To get things as tight as I like I deform the locking mechanism like that to remove any "play" from the locking mech.

The SS ties use a form of ball bearing clutch... which by design must move before locking. It doesn't move much, but once the tie is tight and at the tension that the user wants, ANY movement backward loosens it. In other words, this kind of tie "backs up" to lock.

Ball bearing clutches work by having friction roll a little steel ball up an incline between the two band surfaces until it forms an interference fit, which then limits further movement. Further, any movement of either band in the opposite direction will loosen the ball's interference fit and the tie will loosen.

Therefore, to ensure the desired tension of the zip tie, two separate actions must occur:

One - at the point of maximum tightness, and while that tightness is being forcibly maintained, simultaneously tapping the locking mechanism causes the mechanism to deform to the ball/band minimum and the ball to create dents in the inclined locking surfaces, preventing it from easily rolling backward and losing band tension/tightness.

Two - to ensure that the lock remain in this maximum tension lockup, the band must be folded back right at the lock onto itself, tapped to ensure the fold is at the maximum rearward angle and flat... then snipped off, leaving enough to cover the lock.

Three - I personally prefer to leave the backward-folded end just long enough to fold under itself a very short amount, again ensuring the fold is as flat as possible. This is to hide the extremely sharp end of the trimmed tie, which will cut if touched.

BallBearingClutch.jpg.5ec3c7e0100121c29befe963f4104ebf.jpg

Edited by SeeeeeYa

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
Well, once again I'm running dangerously low on stock and will likely run out for a bit, sorry folks. I should hopefully have some time over the holidays to get things going again. Thanks for the support as always and happy holidays!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Yeah, sorry to a bunch of folks about being out of stock, it's been a while too. Life got in the way, I guess :spin:

Good news though, I finally got a bunch of material cut up yesterday so everything is ready to go to the shop. I'll keep updating the thread here with progress but hopefully I'll have things shipping again shortly.

• Moderators

Material is at the shop. ETA is end of this week or next week. I'll be busying the weekend following, either way. I may put things back up "for sale" on the website in the next couple days to take "preorders" so I can get shipping and what not ready to roll.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

sorry if this has already been answered but would you recommend the bullet proof TMIC for a daily driven 5EAT Stage 2? will NOT be doing any motorsport of any form, just the occasional street pull :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...