LegacyGT.com

"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha, yeah I hicksta-d the hell out of mine.

1st one I torqued way too much, 2nd and 3rd ones didn't lock.

(Hitting my TMIC with a punch and 16oz ball peen while holding tool and punch with same habd is pretty sketchy, IMO)

I have learned over the years to buy extras. If you don't need em, you got em for next time ;)

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

All current orders have been shipped out, thanks everyone!

I'm running low and REALLY going to try to avoid running out of stock, but I have a vacation coming up and it will be a bit tough. I'll keep the website updated as needed, thanks for understanding.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, BarManBean, if you don't want this in your vendor thread please let me know and I'll make a separate one. I already plan on picking up a kit, no matter what responses I get.

After searching for a visual reference of "early stage" endtank separation, and coming up empty, I decided I'd try and rectify the problem. This is a dual purpose post.

1) To get experience/advice to see if I am indeed experiencing separation.

2) Provide further help for people looking to do the same.

Particulars for my spec.B:

BNR 18G

Infamous tuned at ~17psi max (Accessport V3)

Stock Fuel

Stock TMIC

Bought the car in its current state in Nov 2011. Been chasing a consistent IAM of .8 for about a year now. Earlier this year, noticed increased spooling sound. Started logging, and haven't found any signs of boot leak (although I may need to replace DP gasket; coming soon). But, my boost will now only max out at 16.5 (17.2 previously). Logs show ECU pulling timing with no apparent knock at WOT (occasional -.5 Fine Knock Learning). No vac leaks found.

In my search for possibilities, I came across the "Bullet Proof". Appears to be a quality product, with a very responsible and respected vendor.

So, on with the visuals... (I can remove TMIC and take pictures upon request)

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/djfunk/07%20LGT%20SpecB/2013-10-20_11-29-19_708.jpg

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/djfunk/07%20LGT%20SpecB/2013-10-20_11-30-14_27.jpg

Middle tab is more pronounced than the outer tabs.

Any help is greatly appreciated. And I sincerely hope this helps people make meaningful decisions in the future.

Edited by djfunk

• Moderators

First of all, to address whether your TMIC is separating or not--it is. Is it going to fail in the next little bit or do you have a lot of time? Honestly, I can't say. What I would look at, especially in the second pic you posted, is the amount of the black plastic seam that you can see going from top to bottom. At the top you'll notice the amount of visible black plastic is very thin next to the aluminum. Now look at the middle. Big difference. Also, I'd bet that if you gently use a pair of vise grips to pinch the intercooler and the endtanks back together you'll see a bit of movement.

You're TMIC is a great candidate for a kit to prevent failure.

That said, I don't think it's leaking yet. You have no visible oil residue (although there could be some on the bottom). I also don't believe that your TMIC is causing the IAM of less than 1.0. It's possible, but I really doubt it.

Curious--have you been having the IAM issues since purchase with the Infamous tune the entire time? Might want to get with a tuner to take a look at things--the same if you prefer, or if you want recommendations I would strongly recommend Cryo for tuning needs. Even if you just get someone to take a look at your logs I think you could find some benefit. Also, why only targeting 17psi with an 18g? Are you reaching fuel limits there with the stock fueling?

That said, I don't think it's leaking yet. You have no visible oil residue (although there could be some on the bottom). I also don't believe that your TMIC is causing the IAM of less than 1.0. It's possible, but I really doubt it.

I was thinking it was a long shot that the TMIC was letting in enough un-metered air to be the cause; but I'm getting into long shot territory at this point of my diagnosis. May have to enlist some more professional help soon (smoke test, compression, etc)...

Curious--have you been having the IAM issues since purchase with the Infamous tune the entire time? Might want to get with a tuner to take a look at things--the same if you prefer, or if you want recommendations I would strongly recommend Cryo for tuning needs. Even if you just get someone to take a look at your logs I think you could find some benefit. Also, why only targeting 17psi with an 18g? Are you reaching fuel limits there with the stock fueling?

The IAM stayed at 1 for the first year-ish I had the car. Its my DD, and while I may drive "spirited", I don't street race or drive like an asshat. I didn't notice the IAM drop until after a coil shit the bed and just before replacing the timing belt/water pump (100K mainenance). Since then, I've triple checked all vac lines, changed spark plugs (it had 2 different model #'s, 3 different gaps, installed), cleaned the MAF. The march goes on..

As for 17psi max, I think Infamous wanted to just keep it within reason for safety. Previous owner may or may not have planned on getting a protune. But, with the stock TMIC and stock fuel, going past 18psi could be risky. I may eventually upgrade fuel and feed this BNR what it wants; but bills come first and so will a suspension. It's like driving a Westminster show dog. Sit boy! Sit! :lol:

I won't take up anymore of your thread. I really appreciate your help, and feel free to link/attach the pictures to your first post. Like I said, I wanted to help people as much as I could. Be on the lookout for a shipment to Delawhere.. ;)

Edited by djfunk

Just wanted to add:

I track tested this kit for the original developer (SeeYah). 19-20psi at all numerous Socal tracks over a year (13 trackdays). Putting +100miles in per trackday. I had the VF52 and had no issues with this kit (assuming the design is still the same) coming undone. I did use zip-ties once and lost one of the channels, but after properly installing the required hardware I never encountered an issue ever again.

Hope that quells any questions of this kit's reliability beyond street driving fun.

Edited by Saul_Good

• Moderators

Thanks, Saul_Good! From what I recall you're not the only one tracking this mod, either.

Unfortunately, the only bad thing I can say about this mod / my kits is that they are currently out of stock. I have one left at the moment that I need to keep in reserve until I've confirmed that all other orders have arrived safely. More material has been given to the shop and I hope to have things back in stock ASAP.

• I Donated
As for 17psi max, I think Infamous wanted to just keep it within reason for safety. Previous owner may or may not have planned on getting a protune. But, with the stock TMIC and stock fuel, going past 18psi could be risky.

Infamous tends to set a peak boost of 17.5psi whenever someone uses a stock TMIC. With that said, 20psi is perfectly safe if you use this kit. I have been running like that for about 6000 miles, including a track day, a drag day, and an autocross, with no problems.

Unfortunately, the only bad thing I can say about this mod / my kits is that they are currently out of stock. I have one left at the moment that I need to keep in reserve until I've confirmed that all other orders have arrived safely. More material has been given to the shop and I hope to have things back in stock ASAP.

I hope your stock replenishes soon! I just got my order in a couple days ago and can't wait to throw it on my spanking new TMIC :) which will sit atop my spanking new block :mad: which will be attached to my new(ish) turbo, UP, and DP. All followed closely by a tune from Cryo :cool:

• Moderators
I hope your stock replenishes soon! I just got my order in a couple days ago and can't wait to throw it on my spanking new TMIC :) which will sit atop my spanking new block :mad: which will be attached to my new(ish) turbo, UP, and DP. All followed closely by a tune from Cryo :cool:

I have your order and your kit will ship out today. The website is setup so that folks cannot order a kit if I don't have them in stock--I don't want people to send payment if I can't deliver in a reasonable amount of time on my end!

To anyone who has placed an order, your kit will go out in the mail today via USPS priority mail. Most in the U.S. will receive it by Wednesday.

To others, I'll have things back in stock as soon as I can--thanks for your patience.

Shipping info should be in your inbox :)

Ann Arbor is where my last LGT wagon came from. She was a salty bitch :)

Thanks!

And not surprising. Michigan: where the water is fresh and the roads are salty :)

• 2 weeks later...
anyone has any advise on getting ss ties super tight ? I got the tool specified in OP but can't get those frickin SS ties tight enough, not even close. I was actually thinking of reclamping my CV boots and to get some practice I tried to ziptie a similar diameter pipe. No luck, no matter how I attack, zip ties are kind of tight at best. Different application I know but no matter how small the diameter it should clamp it tight right?

• Moderators
Just placed an order! Never worked on the TMIC before, so hopefully I don't snap through any of the SS ties..

Thanks for the order, your kit will go out tomorrow! Just go easy when torquing the zip ties and you'll be fine.

anyone has any advise on getting ss ties super tight ? I got the tool specified in OP but can't get those frickin SS ties tight enough, not even close. I was actually thinking of reclamping my CV boots and to get some practice I tried to ziptie a similar diameter pipe. No luck, no matter how I attack, zip ties are kind of tight at best. Different application I know but no matter how small the diameter it should clamp it tight right?

The key to getting them tight is "setting" the lock on them manually. If you haven't already, watch this video that shows me tightening a tie and setting the lock in place so that it stays tight:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/th_DSC_0007.jpg