LegacyGT.com

"Bullet Proof" TMIC Kits

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
Haha yeah I hear you. My IC is starting to really bust/leak at one corner, so at this point it's not really likely to hold up even with your mod, so I figured meh, I might as well JB it to see what happens.

If you think it's that bad, honestly i wouldn't bother--go aftermarket or pick up a new stocker. I have one in the garage that's bullet proofed already with one broken engine cover tab if you're interested.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• I Donated
Haha yeah I hear you. My IC is starting to really bust/leak at one corner, so at this point it's not really likely to hold up even with your mod, so I figured meh, I might as well JB it to see what happens.

Mine was almost totally broken and I have no leaks with this mod

uploadfromtaptalk1380075574989.thumb.jpg.177b4e834c035a6c3f6311e757af1fd7.jpg

• I Donated
Better resistance to heatsoak is the main reason. Slightly lighter weight is another, but pretty negligible.

There are also manufacturing reasons, of course. It is a lot easier to reliably crimp on composite end tanks than to reliably weld on metal ones. Quite frankly, the stock TMICs are perfectly fine (reliable, don't hinder performance) on stock LGTs and WRXes. They are engineered perfectly for their intended use. From a reliability standpoint, this kit fixes the reliability issues. There are still issues with flow at Stage 3+ boost levels, although according to Jermaine at TurboXS, my main chokepoint was my stock mufflers...

Hey BarManBean,

I just watched your zip tie video using the band clamp tool and wondered how exactly you ended up with three hands? Does the extra hand come with the tool or is that an additional part you have to purchase separately? Where is a good place to buy that extra hand?

Just wondering because I sure could use one of those in my toolbox.....LOL :lol:

They should have just made the intercooler out of straight metal. What is this plastic bullshit?

The reason they used plastic tanks for the intercooler is because the intercooler is nothing but a heater core with a different type of tank on it to fit this particular application.

The core itself is something that is readily available as a premade unit and they simply bought a part off the shelf, had the tanks made, and had them assembled.

Cheaper for Subaru while in bone stock application, most likely is "good enough" to last a while. I'm sure there are thousands of them out there on the various vehicles that these fit on that have no issues but then again, they most likely have done nothing except drive them....and not like US lunatics where we (LGT, NASIOC, etc.) all want 4859 p.s.i of boost pressure and 65289741 w.h.p...LOL :lol:

• Moderators
Hey BarManBean,

I just watched your zip tie video using the band clamp tool and wondered how exactly you ended up with three hands? Does the extra hand come with the tool or is that an additional part you have to purchase separately? Where is a good place to buy that extra hand?

Just wondering because I sure could use one of those in my toolbox.....LOL :lol:

Extra hand not included. Get your own.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Sure am glad I bought some extra straps from you Mike!

That was the first time I have used them, I boogered 3 of them before I got the 'feel' for it :)

Totally stoked with the BP kit, thanks again Seeeyaaa amd BMB!!!!

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

• I Donated
Sure am glad I bought some extra straps from you Mike!

That was the first time I have used them, I boogered 3 of them before I got the 'feel' for it :)

Totally stoked with the BP kit, thanks again Seeeyaaa amd BMB!!!!

Good to see I'm not alone in my hicksta-ing of the SS zip ties.