LegacyGT.com

Tire or wheel bearing noise? *video*

Hey everyone, glad to be here.

My wife has a 05 LGT, 5eat. The right rear of the car has been making a noise for a while now. I'm not sure if it's a wheel bearing or just a noisy tire. Figured I would post a video before I go jacking the thing up and rotating tires and all that mess. Sound gets louder the faster you go. No change when making turns. The noise starts about 13 secs into the video. Took it at night on my EVO 4g. Accelerating from 0 to about 40 mph. Thanks in advance!

http://youtu.be/bX5K3P00BrA

There is a TSB out for the rear wheel bearing on 2005 and 2006 Legacies. If shes under 100,000 it might be covered under warranty. Coverage was extended to 8 years or 100,000 miles.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rear-wheel-bearing-failure-warranty-extended-100-000-miles-118003.html

http://www.scribd.com/doc/54820243/03-58-08-Subaru-Rear-Wheel-Bearing-TSB

+1 at first it sounded like you were racing someone. How fast were you going?

Have you tried to rotate the tires first to see if the sound moves with the location of the tires? If the sound doesn't move, I'd say it's the wheel bearing.

Ohh ya and Welcome to the forum!

I have a cambridge decoder with digital output and 5.1 speakers. I didn't hear anything that sounds like a wheel bearing. Others here seem to hear something, so...

However, my '06 Forester had a right rear failure at about 50k. It's difficult to differentiate between crappy tires and the wheel bearings. When the bearing fails it sounds like a low wow-wow-wow that increases with your speed.

The yokohama tires I have now are reaching their end of life and there is terrible road noise. It's a different kind of sound, and hard to tell if you haven't heard both of them before. Tires make a consistent noise as they wear. Wheel bearing noise oscillates... best I can describe it. I'd find a shop that has a audio diagnostic. It's a simple device with headphones that has 4 mics on long cables. You clip them to each axel and can switch to listen to each wheel.

Or, take it to a dealer, but they will charge you for the diagnostic if it turns out to be the tires. Peter is absolutely correct about the warranty 100k coverage if a failure occurs. Wish I could help further with the sound.

Yea. Bad wheel bearing sounds like woo-woo--woo pulsing sound which gets faster as your speed increases. Bad tires, out of balance tires can make a similar noise.

Not really sure what the sound is if you are doing 40mph. It doesn't quite sound like a bad wheel bearing from what I can hear.

I would definitely try to rotate your tires and see if the sound moves with your tires and check back in with us.

Have you tried to rotate the tires first to see if the sound moves with the location of the tires? If the sound doesn't move, I'd say it's the wheel bearing.

QUOTE]

Do that first, or put her in the back seat and take the car for a ride and see where the noise is.

That's how I found a friends bad rear wheel bearing in her 05 OB back in 2007.

Most likely its a bad bearing/hub assembly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea. Bad wheel bearing sounds like woo-woo--woo pulsing sound which gets faster as your speed increases. Bad tires, out of balance tires can make a similar noise.

Not really sure what the sound is if you are doing 40mph. It doesn't quite sound like a bad wheel bearing from what I can hear.

I would definitely try to rotate your tires and see if the sound moves with your tires and check back in with us.

Feeling a little better now about my description. :)

Thanks for all the input guys. I will swap some wheels around this weekend and see if the noise move. I also have another set of wheels that I think will fit if I really want to get crazy.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Archived