LegacyGT.com

5mt gear oil

meier motor sports

• Mega Users

I would suggest this

3 quarts of redline Lightweight Shockproof, 1 quart of Motul Gear300 75W90.

I believe BAC may have created this formula, and I've heard great reviews. In the future I would use either this, or Subaru Extra S. The only reason why I used the Lucas is because when I went to pick up coolant and conditioner at my dealer, they didn't have any extra s, therefore I had to go to an autoparts store, as that day was really the only convenient day for me to do my 60k service.

I have noticed no differences in gearbox performance from the oil that the dealer put in at my 30k service, versus the Lucas that I put in when I did my 60k service. Stock clutch.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Nope. I ran that stuff for a few months in my first gen. It felt great for about 6k, then broke down horribly. I was already going to rebuild the gearbox with a PPG dogbox, so I left that stuff in until the trans finally let go.

:lol: unicorn semen. Not quite, but it's a good combo of fluid. The only complaints I hear, are from cars that have actual broken parts.

In fact, if you don't live somewhere that gets too cold, straight Lightweight Shockproof is a perfectly suitable fluid to use.

For the rear diff, I use Motul gear 300 75W90. Just order two bottles of Motul and 3 of the Shockproof, and you are all set.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Nothing, really. It's an extremely high quality synthetic fluid.

I like the shockproof because it meets exactly the needs that a synchro requires to operate correctly. High viscosity, low internal friction. It raises bearing temps slightly (which is one of two reasons to cut it with a high quality synthetic. The second reason is to improve low temp flow), but it makes synchros work better than any other fluid I've ever used. It also does help reduce gear wear, caused by the relatively high degree of lash in a Subaru transmission. And it's front-diff friendly!

It's so good, you could downshift into 1st gear at 30 mph without much drama.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Mega Users

BAC, just to double check, 3 lightweight shockproof 1 motul for the front, and straight motul for the diff?

Maybe I'll try this in 7k miles, I like the creativity of it.

"For the rear diff, I use Motul gear 300 75W90. Just order two bottles of Motul and 3 of the Shockproof, and you are all set."

from a few post back.

When will 700 miles be ? I'd do it before winter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You've got it!

Put the shockproof in first, then top it off with Motul.

• Mega Users
"For the rear diff, I use Motul gear 300 75W90. Just order two bottles of Motul and 3 of the Shockproof, and you are all set."

from a few post back.

not before winter that's for sure. I haven't been driving much.....

not before winter that's for sure. I haven't been driving much.....

You need to get out more LOL... oh yea you have one of the those two wheeled things right ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Mega Users
You need to get out more LOL... oh yea you have one of the those two wheeled things right ?

ya I know! I live right next to my work so it sees 0 commuter miles.

ya I have one of those 2 wheeled things, but I generally don't ride in the summer.

from a few post back.

ok what about 10 forester at trans. motul for both diffs? and for subaru atf hp?

ok what about 10 forester at trans. motul for both diffs? and for subaru atf hp?

For the AT? Motul 75W90 in the diffs, and Subaru ATF is what I would do.

• 4 months later...

I listened to BAC5.2 three qrts of Redline and 2 bottles of Motul. All Motul in the rear and Redline + Motul up front.

In reality my gearbox only took about 3.1 qrts of fluid. So I put two qrts of Redline in first then the whole bottle of Motul then topped off with Redline. I figured the Motul was an important addition above 120K miles. The old 5MT 3.90 is shifting just fine!

Archived