LegacyGT.com

Exhaust/Catalytic Converter Problems - HELP!!!

My wife just got home from work complaining of a "Whoop" and then just a noisy car. Sounds like marbles in the catalytic converter - the first one in the down pipe. I'm assuming it's bad and will need to be replaced. So I'm guessing my options are...

A. Call Subaru in the morning and see if the converter may still be under warranty. As it's almost at 120k - I doubt it. If for some strange reason it still is, have them fix it.

B. If Subaru tells me to go fly a kite, I'll be doing the work myself. No problems there - just would rather be doing other things. IF I do the work myself, factory or aftermarket down pipe? Any particular brands??? I'm in Seattle and looking to get this done fast, so who's gonna ship the fastest???

Ideas??? Opinions???

Turbo is blown - pieces of turbo were in the first catalytic converter. New 16g turbo ordered from BNR, along with oil supply line kit from infamousperformance. Down pipe on the way as well.

At least I got 120k miles out of the vf40...

bummer.... better make sure your oil system isn't contaminated... it probably is though based on the fact your wife kept driving it despite the noise. :-( don't put your new turbo in until you're positive you get all the crap out of your engine

^^^ what that guy says. You may be in for a new short block as well. It would be well worth your time to make sure the engine is OK before you go installing a new turbo. Luckily there are many reputable Subie shops here in Seattle!

Catalytic converters are warrantied for 150k. And all emissions are garuntee for life of vehicle. Just went through Subaru corp. emmissions class today

:lol:

Ahhh I am "exersizing" all my self-restraint at this point. You are amazing. Here's hoping you pass the class.

There were no pieces of turbo in the cat---my assumption was wrong (not the first or last time on that)

I agree with VermonGT...when I called Subaru to check on a new down pipe and a new turbo (more on that later), they told me to go fly a kite.

The turbo is toast, verified via removal. Pretty sure the block will be OK. The reason these things go is because the oil gets to the turbo last. That oil is not always clean and pure. It then goes to the pan where it is lightly strained and then goes to the filter. I found an oil routing diagram and confirmed this.

The intake impeller was still good, but the shaft had been snapped so the exhaust impeller was loose, meaning the bearings had siezed. Impeller was pretty much whole, so I'm pretty confident that not much made it to the pan. If I can get my hands on an engine lift, I'll drop the pan to make sure. Since there's a strainer and a filter to go through before the oil gets back to the engine, I'm going to give it a shot and baby it for a short time and then change the oil again and cut the filter open to see what's up.

Now just waiting for parts to arrive. New downpipe has already arrived, but that will be the last thing to go in, so I just get to stare at it for a week...

I *strongly* suggest you read up about turbo failures here before you put in a new turbo and call it a day. Lots of people relating their experiences with turbo failures and then subsequent failures in the replacement.

I've read about all the turbo failures. I spent 3 hours on Tuesday reading post after post with my brother (a mechanic who regrettably, lives in Georgia). I know what happens.

I also know that I have pulled the turbo apart, and in terms of the impeller, there really isn't anything missing. The exhaust impeller shaft mates almost perfectly where it broke. The actual exhaust impeller is pretty much whole - some pieces shaved off, but nothing bigger than what you find in the oil when you change it at 500 miles.

I'm not just swapping out the turbo and calling it a day. I'm just not going to pull the engine and rebuild the engine based on the evidence.

BUT...I'm also honest enough that if bigger problems do arise, I'll fess up. I just don't think that the exhaust impeller shredded (enough) - it was only driven a couple miles after the initial problem reared it's head. No metal shavings at all in the intake area nor around the intercooler entry.

But we'll see....

Archived