LegacyGT.com

05-09 LGT Gas Mileage

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a bp lgt spec b with 5eat and get 23mpg in town (small town) and 28 in country. For comparison my 2005 outback 3.0 got about the same overall but had less extremes showing on the (slightly optimistic) dash display. Just depends on whether I am on or off boost.

321 miles and the dash is showing 25.5mpg I love this 280whp.

Had the car up above 100mph for a short time twice this week.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

After getting gas and then the 22.2 mile drive to the house the dash read 18.3mpg, it's mostly up hill and I had 3, 50lbs bag of fertilizer, two weed wackers, a 4ft step ladder and a 50lb tool box in the car. It was 5:35PM and I knew I better get home before dinner at 6PM.

I walked in door at 6 and the GF said, dinners ready. She's awesome...!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

321 miles and the dash is showing 25.5mpg I love this 280whp.

Had the car up above 100mph for a short time twice this week.

Huh. That would mean that you filled up while you still had 16.9-12.58=4.32 gallons left in your tank. If you filled up and you were close to empty, then your actual mileage for that tank was around 20mpg (321 miles /16 gallons) :(.

• Moderators
Huh. That would mean that you filled up while you still had 16.9-12.58=4.32 gallons left in your tank. If you filled up and you were close to empty, then your actual mileage for that tank was around 20mpg (321 miles /16 gallons) :(.

I don't exactly understand what your saying here^^^

Either way, MPG discussions should be based on calculated mileage, not dash readouts, IMO. The dash readouts can be off for any number of reasons (especially with modded cars). Folks also need to account for their wheel / tire size if necessary (and if the outside diameter is anything other than stock).

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I don't exactly understand what your saying here^^^

Either way, MPG discussions should be based on calculated mileage, not dash readouts, IMO. The dash readouts can be off for any number of reasons (especially with modded cars). Folks also need to account for their wheel / tire size if necessary (and if the outside diameter is anything other than stock).

I guess I was assuming he went to fill up after doing 321 miles. If this is correct and the mpg read out was accurate, then he had about 4.32 gallons left in his tank when he went to fill up. But if the tank was close to empty @ 321 miles, then read out was way wrong..

In stage 2 so far avg is 19.5 city 23-24 high way.

Was getting 18mpg in city but then replaced my air filter on my kstech intake and have done lucas fuel treatment every 2k miles.

Highest i had was when i first bought my car(stock) in Boise Idaho and drove it back to Albany NY. I did 27.5-28mpg(highest mileage on one tank on this route was 422miles) all the way back. Keep in mind this is also taking some speed liberties through those abandoned mid-west states.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

• Moderators

The read out has nothing to do with how much gas is left in the tank :confused:

It has to do with how many miles have passed since you reset the trip meter last compared to how much fuel has been spent (I don't know how the later is calculated, but highly doubt it has anything to do with the gas level that's measured in the fuel tank.)

Maybe I'm still misunderstanding what you're trying to say altogether...?

I do recall the tank was not that near empty. I'm thinking it took around 12 gallons. I don't really worry about it anymore, I guess I'm to old to worry, I much more enjoy the HP.

I fill up when I'm near my son's house because he's 3 miles from the the Sunoco station in E. Longmeadow MA where I paid $3.70 for 93.

Granted the station is 22 miles from my house where Sunoco is $3.94. If I have a reason to swing by his house, I do it when I'm low on gas.

I do realize the dash is optimistic ;)

The read out has nothing to do with how much gas is left in the tank :confused:

It has to do with how many miles have passed since you reset the trip meter last compared to how much fuel has been spent (I don't know how the later is calculated, but highly doubt it has anything to do with the gas level that's measured in the fuel tank.)

Maybe I'm still misunderstanding what you're trying to say altogether...?

sorry man if I sound confusing. Below is my math assuming he reset his mpg read out before doing 321 miles.

321 miles / 25.5 mpg = 12.58 gallons used

Tank has a 16.9 gallon capacity; so he must have had 16.9-12.58=4.32 gallons left in his tank if the read out is accurate.

Now Byron is saying when he filled up, he put about 12 gallons in it. So the read out may have been pretty close to correct then. Let me know if it's still not clear.

Not Mike...there are to many of them, it's Byron, not many of me...LOL

Yes, I do reset the trip meter every time.

• Moderators
sorry man if I sound confusing. Below is my math assuming he reset his mpg read out before doing 321 miles.

321 miles / 25.5 mpg = 12.58 gallons used

Tank has a 16.9 gallon capacity; so he must have had 16.9-12.58=4.32 gallons left in his tank if the read out is accurate.

Now Mike is saying when he filled up, he put about 12 gallons in it. So the read out may have been pretty close to correct then. Let me know if it's still not clear.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I just don't think it's worth anything to try to calculate the number of gallons used based off of the trip meter and the MPG readout.

A better way is to just look at the number of gallons pumped in at fill up on the receipt. Then use that amount + the number on the trip meter (assuming it's reset at last fill up) to calculate the actual mileage (calculated mileage).

EDIT: we're not really arguing different points here, really...lol. BTW, I'm Mike :)

Yeah, I see what you mean. I just don't think it's worth anything to try to calculate the number of gallons used based off of the trip meter and the MPG readout.

A better way is to just look at the number of gallons pumped in at fill up on the receipt. Then use that amount + the number on the trip meter (assuming it's reset at last fill up) to calculate the actual mileage (calculated mileage).

Sure. I do that as well.

Archived