LegacyGT.com

High flow cats for 3.0R

Hey guys, I am moving into the next phrase of my project for my car. So, I have been doing some research but it hasn't yield any much result. I was hoping that you N/A gurus could help me out here. I am wondering if there are anyone making high flow cats for our 3.0R or does the LGT high flow cats fit our cars? :confused:

Hey guys, I am moving into the next phrase of my project for my car. So, I have been doing some research but it hasn't yield any much result. I was hoping that you N/A gurus could help me out here. I am wondering if there are anyone making high flow cats for our 3.0R or does the LGT high flow cats fit our cars? :confused:

Headers yes , HFC not so much :(. All the HFC ive seen have been custom made for the EZ30/6 and EG33. You can have a cat section fabbed up for a decent price.

Headers yes , HFC not so much :(. All the HFC ive seen have been custom made for the EZ30/6 and EG33. You can have a cat section fabbed up for a decent price.

Do you have any ball park range for the cat? Also, if I do go the route of creating my own cats, will it be approved by the DMV?

Or just gut the cat...

I wish I could...but I do not want the hassle of putting in a new cat when it is time for inspection.

• Mega Users
True. You'd get a diagnostic code from the cats not working and fail the test. All they care about is that you don't have any codes. They will not do a sniff test or visual on your car unless rules have changed in the last year.

True. You'd get a diagnostic code from the cats not working and fail the test. All they care about is that you don't have any codes. They will not do a sniff test or visual on your car unless rules have changed in the last year.

Do you know any reputable shops that could handle making a cat without throwing off the codes? I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a good product.

• Mega Users

I don't know of any, but you have 3 cats to replace, so it can get expensive.

Now that I think about it, I don't think it will trigger a code if you gutted them. It doesn't on the lgt and it's a similar setup in that the rear o2 sensor is directly behind a cat. It's the cat with an egt sensor in it that triggers codes and your car doesn't have an egt sensor AFAIK.

Now that I think about it, I don't think it will trigger a code if you gutted them. It doesn't on the lgt and it's a similar setup in that the rear o2 sensor is directly behind a cat. It's the cat with an egt sensor in it that triggers codes and your car doesn't have an egt sensor AFAIK.

Sorry form my noobness but what is egt?

Do you have any ball park range for the cat? Also, if I do go the route of creating my own cats, will it be approved by the DMV?

I wish I could...but I do not want the hassle of putting in a new cat when it is time for inspection.

The cats themselves vary if you stick with double dipped ceramic cats you are looking at btwn $75 and $100 per cat then labor to fab them into a cat-pipe unit or CBE. I would not replace all three with HFC variants instead I would replace one cat with a large HFC unit like a MagnaFlow 41000 series. The 41000 is what I ran on my previous setup with no CELs.

Dont worry about the DMV simply replace your custom cat section with the stock prior to inspection. :)

Gut the cats it will throw a P0420 code for sure. On the EZ30R you have too many sensors to try and trick so you should only focus on making the downstream o2 sensor happy. A metallic cat wont suffice, ceramic is the way.

I wouldnt touch anything upstream of the the most rearward cat (the one upstream from the rear o2 sensor)

The cats themselves vary if you stick with double dipped ceramic cats you are looking at btwn $75 and $100 per cat then labor to fab them into a cat-pipe unit or CBE. I would not replace all three with HFC variants instead I would replace one cat with a large HFC unit like a MagnaFlow 41000 series. The 41000 is what I ran on my previous setup with no CELs.

Dont worry about the DMV simply replace your custom cat section with the stock prior to inspection. :)

Thanks for the insight. So you are saying that I should just replace one of the HFC unit and leave the other 2 stock? I did a bit of digging about MagnaFlow 41000, it seem to be not legal for street use. This is getting more complicated than I expected.

Any recommendation for cat that is legal for street use? Like I said I won't mind paying more. If this is getting way too complicated, I am going to ditch the idea of changing out my cats and just leave it stock while I install the new raptor H6 Headers. :lol:

When looking around the aftermarket world everything will state "race use or off-road use" to circumvent the various regulations. The 41000 is specifically made for OBII applications as I used that with no issues on a previous setup.

Any recommendation for cat that is legal for street use? Like I said I won't mind paying more. If this is getting way too complicated, I am going to ditch the idea of changing out my cats and just leave it stock while I install the new raptor H6 Headers.

This^ :)

Archived