LegacyGT.com

radar tires.

suboogru

I've bought off brand tires before and been ok. I got Riken (spelling?) Raptor summer tires for like 60 a piece a few years ago on my prelude and while they didn't touch my yokohama es100's they were pretty comparable to my kuhmo ASX's, and the Rikens had a stiffer side wall so I liked how they drove a little better even if the actual grip was about the same.

Tell them to put a warranty on them if they trust them so much.

I have the Radars. Bought my car used with it. About to change them. They're ok in the summer but in the rain.....how do you say...Paul Simon's Slip Sliding away...Dealer is trying to sell me COnti DWS. but I have my apprehension.. When the 'S' disappears and I'm left with the D+W, I feel like I'm no longer left with an all season. Looking at the Eagle Gt

I have the Radars. Bought my car used with it. About to change them. They're ok in the summer but in the rain.....how do you say...Paul Simon's Slip Sliding away...Dealer is trying to sell me COnti DWS. but I have my apprehension.. When the 'S' disappears and I'm left with the D+W, I feel like I'm no longer left with an all season. Looking at the Eagle Gt

When any tire (all season or winter) gets below certain tread depth they lose winter bite.

Krzys

I got sick of road noise and harsh ride (I'm getting old, lol) so I bought a set of Kumho KU-27's (Extasa LX Premium). More of a performance TOURING tire but these things are amazing. Smooth, decent grip fo a DD, and quiet. Great wet traction in standing water also. The warranty Kumho puts on these is the best in the industry. On center feel is a bit numb unless you air them up to 40psi or so but again I do not auto-x or anything, I drive like an asshole and the have not disappointed me yet. I had ASX's,..... for the money I have been very happy with the Kumhos.

I am a service writer/tire salesman at Sears and carry the Radar tires. They are made by Omni United from Singapore. We started carrying them at the beginning of the year. I haven't had any feedback from anyone on these. They are at a price point where the customers just want the cheapest tire we have in their size. On paper, their UTQG specs are that of a performance oriented tire. (they are numbers that Omni put out, the UTQG numbering system is not universal. Each tire manufacturer does their own testing and issues their own numbers) I'm sure they would do fine in dry conditions. In wet or snow conditions they may do fine too, (or that's going to be their weakpoint). They are a new product so I don't know how accurate their treadwear mileage claim is. Treadwear claims are frequently over-rated to keep a tire competitive. I just haven't heard feedback yet. These were designed to be a low $ option. They may suprise you-just keep your expectations in check.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Eagle GT's are good tires, but their sidewalls are made of jello.

Arrghhh. Saw your msg the same time they were finish installing. The toss up was between this and the new Toyo Proxes 4+. The Eagle GT does feel different. Car is planted, but sudden directional changes feel weird. Does have a jello type feel. Car is lowered and while the Radar did give a harsh ride,( because of my set up)it did handle well.. Oh well, guess I'm stuck with these GT's. Not totally regretting it though...

P.S. Heard the Cont DWS were also disappointing in their sidewall firmness..

"while the Radar did give a harsh ride,( because of my set up)it did handle well.."

Thanks for the feedback on the Radars vs the Eagle GTs. It is possible that your old Radars seemed crisper because they were worn. The DWSs do have a mushy-ish sidewall, many people have reported having to inflate to 40+PSI to get good handling. FYI, I've had many complaints on the quick wear on the Eagle GTs. (as well as the Falken 912s) One redeeming thing about the company Goodyear in general. They are very forgiving on their treadwear warranties. I've processed claims for 100% through Goodyear when the tires didn't deserve it. Seems they'll give anything away.

P.S. I run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+. I think that considering how important a tire is to your driving pleasure, They are worth the extra loot.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

^ You make a very good point...and yes, I've heard of the fairly quick threadwear. I surely hope I can get some sort of recompense should that happen. I should have really bit the bullet and gone with the Michelin, like I had on my WRX. Steering does feel neutral on these GT's and running Stage 3, I need that assurance and confidence , not that I drive recklessly or anything.

Eagle GT's are good tires, but their sidewalls are made of jello.

Didn't feel like jello to me :confused: though I usually use 38/36psi.

They aren't the best choice if you want good winter traction.

Some say the Conti DWS sidewalls are jello.

The tread on my Eagle GTs started to separate after ~2 years, replaced them with Dunlop SP sport signatures. They feel a little more planted and are quieter, don't know about winter traction.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Update. After having car aligned... and maybe some settling, I am actually liking these tyres. Grip is phenomenal and it has softned my previously harsh and almost unbearable ride. Keep hearing that thread life is not very long...will wait and see.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a few of Radar's RPX900 tires at one of the Sears outlets where I live & they gave me a 45,000 mile warranty. I recently went back for a claim on them & it was a hassle free experience for me- no fuss at all which was a first time for me ever whenever I went back to try and make a claim on the other tires.

I would strongly recommend Radar tires to anyone who's looking for good quality but yet affordable tires

I purchased a few of Radar's RPX900 tires at one of the Sears outlets where I live & they gave me a 45,000 mile warranty. I recently went back for a claim on them & it was a hassle free experience for me- no fuss at all which was a first time for me ever whenever I went back to try and make a claim on the other tires.

I would strongly recommend Radar tires to anyone who's looking for good quality but yet affordable tires

What mileage did they make it to out of curiousity?

My wife got a flat on her Honda Fit by hitting a curb at a mall, which just happened to have a Sears there. So, she limped the car over there and had them replace the tire on the spot. And... they broke her TPMS sensor, and did a very crappy job fixing it.

I'll stick to getting and installing tires at a place that isn't a department store.

i run coopers on my car now, they are ok, little road noise but seeing i purchased the car with them i couldnt really say much, I do like the Hankook tires. Had them on my previous car and they were great. I have Bridgestone Blizzaks for my winter setup on my old stock rims, heard nothing but great things about them.

• 4 months later...
Update. After having car aligned... and maybe some settling, I am actually liking these tyres. Grip is phenomenal and it has softned my previously harsh and almost unbearable ride. Keep hearing that thread life is not very long...will wait and see.

An update? I am considering the Radar Verenti R6. It is suppose to be Radar's high performance all season tire.

Archived