LegacyGT.com

Knocking noise on start-up then goes away..

So I've been readin' on here for about 2hrs on this issue. My 98 legacy L has a slight knock when I start it then goes away within a few minutes of running. What I've read n "understand" is: That as long as the "knock" goes away after warmin' up. That that is fine n will continue to be fine miles n miles to come!?!

On a different note I'm throwin' a P0325(knock sensor) code. I've ordered a new one off of ebay it should be here next week sometime. My question with that is: After I replace the knock sensor n with my start-up "knock". Will my car be throwin' the P0325 code everytime I start my car, cuz it'll detect the "knock"!?!

Thanx

if the knock is piston slap there is a possibility that the knock sensor will pick it up, but i don't think it is common. very rare. but if it does, you can relocate the k-sensor to a less sensitive position.

it would be nice to ID the knock you are hearing, just so you know.

if the knock is piston slap there is a possibility that the knock sensor will pick it up, but i don't think it is common. very rare. but if it does, you can relocate the k-sensor to a less sensitive position.

it would be nice to ID the knock you are hearing, just so you know.

I'm not familiar with subaru's but I know a thing or 2 about cars.. As far as I can tell n hear. It sounds like a faint/not that loud "solid metal knock".. Not like lifter noise I know that cuz my Integra needs a valve adjustment done. The 2 sounds from each car are dif. sounding.. I hope that helps!?!

You sure it's not the hydraulic lift actuators? Had this on my Legacy L 2.2 and a couple were failing...so it had a louder metallic tap when first starting until it warmed up
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived